Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Jul 17, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #4,276 of 4,838
Anyone have a pair of new or used vintage 6FD7 Fat Bottles they'd be willing to sell? Can't seem to find any in stock at the moment. Please let me know and send a DM! Curious to try that tube alongside some others folks have recommended. Thanks!

Jul 17, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #4,277 of 4,838
Anyone have a pair of new or used vintage 6FD7 Fat Bottles they'd be willing to sell? Can't seem to find any in stock at the moment. Please let me know and send a DM! Curious to try that tube alongside some others folks have recommended. Thanks!
I'm not sure if the fat bottle 6FD7s sound different because the bottle is fat, but they sure look cool. I've tried GE and Delco fot bottle 6FD7s in the past and they both sounded good.

Jul 18, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #4,278 of 4,838
Woo Audio shows them in stock, right now! YMMV on pricing.
I purchased a set (GE) from them several years ago when I couldn't source a pair otherwise. Thought they bought up the world supply. Nice tubes.

Jul 18, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #4,279 of 4,838
Woo Audio shows them in stock, right now! YMMV on pricing.
I purchased a set (GE) from them several years ago when I couldn't source a pair otherwise. Thought they bought up the world supply. Nice tubes.

I have a pair of GE labeled 6FD7 fat bottles that say made in England.

They are outstanding tubes and definitely offer a very out-of-head, holographic presentation.

If you own a WA6-SE gen 1 then you definitely owe it to yourself to have a pair.

Jul 18, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #4,280 of 4,838

They are outstanding tubes and definitely offer a very out-of-head, holographic presentation.

If you own a WA6-SE gen 1 then you definitely owe it to yourself to have a pair.
The ones I got from Woo are made in USA and are used on a Gen 1 WA6. Might do some digging around and look at different origins, plate structures etc. Someone here is probably an expert on this tube. I was floored a few yers ago by what came out on another tube I roll, the lowly 7N7. Butt ugly, rarely spoken about, but in short or tall form, a nice sounding tube on the WA6 and 22.

Jul 18, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #4,281 of 4,838

How much of it is the GE, part, vs the Made in UK part, vs other kinds of that tube. Is there is sense of how that tube designation sounds compared to 6DE7 or 6EW7?

curious as always, as I just swapped out NOS RCA 6DE7s for Sylvania 6DE7s -- seems like it made a bigger differnce sonically than any other tube swap i've done in my recent tube-gangsta life.... Sylvanias are waaaay faster, more open, more leading edges of notes, rcas a bit lusher, but softer sounding. are the 6FD7's in that league also too as well?

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 11:59 PM Post #4,282 of 4,838
How much of it is the GE, part, vs the Made in UK part, vs other kinds of that tube. Is there is sense of how that tube designation sounds compared to 6DE7 or 6EW7?

curious as always, as I just swapped out NOS RCA 6DE7s for Sylvania 6DE7s -- seems like it made a bigger differnce sonically than any other tube swap i've done in my recent tube-gangsta life.... Sylvanias are waaaay faster, more open, more leading edges of notes, rcas a bit lusher, but softer sounding. are the 6FD7's in that league also too as well?
I have similar thoughts on the Sylvania ‘yellow print’ 13DE7s in WA6SE (2nd generation).

Jul 19, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #4,283 of 4,838

Definitely. I can only guess these made in England 6FD7 fat bottles are actually Birmar or Mullard. Just because they say GE doesn't totally tell the whole story.

I know all of the driver tubes in the WA6-SE gen 1, were actually originally designed for use in TVs. So they weren't only designed for audio but to also handle a visual transmission.

Jul 20, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #4,284 of 4,838
Definitely. I can only guess these made in England 6FD7 fat bottles are actually Birmar or Mullard. Just because they say GE doesn't totally tell the whole story.

I know all of the driver tubes in the WA6-SE gen 1, were actually originally designed for use in TVs. So they weren't only designed for audio but to also handle a visual transmission.

If I'm not mistaken, Philips also had a heavy hand in manufacturing many of the "name brands" we recognize as UK Tubes.

Jul 21, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #4,285 of 4,838
If I'm not mistaken, Philips also had a heavy hand in manufacturing many of the "name brands" we recognize as UK Tubes.

Definitely true. It's so hard to know for sure but they do sound fantastic. And they do keep to that rich, creamy tuning that so many British made tubes are known for.

Jul 23, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #4,286 of 4,838
In case anyone is interested, I found a pair of my beloved KR-Audio 5U4G Riccardo Kron Anniversary Edition Rectifier tubes for sale. I've bought from him before, excellent seller, but he's firm on his price.

Go get 'em!
2259495-e772899a-kr-5u4g-tube-riccardo-kron-limited-series.jpg

Aug 20, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #4,287 of 4,838
Last month went to CanJam London and got to try so many high end systems.

Really pleased to find out my wa6 se v2 with GEC u52 tubes + SR purple fuse wasn't that far off in terms of performance when compared to the other high end amps. Really enjoyed the tone of this amp with this set up.

Was not seduced by the offerings on the show apart from auris nirvana with its EL34s. This us really fun authentically sounding tube amp was the auris nirvana with meze elites

Aug 20, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #4,288 of 4,838
Last month went to CanJam London and got to try so many high end systems.

Really pleased to find out my wa6 se v2 with GEC u52 tubes + SR purple fuse wasn't that far off in terms of performance when compared to the other high end amps. Really enjoyed the tone of this amp with this set up.

Was not seduced by the offerings on the show apart from auris nirvana with its EL34s. This us really fun authentically sounding tube amp was the auris nirvana with meze elites
I have both Wa 22 and Wa 6-SE both are v2. With the combination of Mullard 5V4G and Zenith 13 EM7, the Wa 6 sounds almost as good as Wa22 except sound stage. It is very underated amp.

Attachments

• PXL_20220820_131218458.jpg
    PXL_20220820_131218458.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #4,289 of 4,838
I have both Wa 22 and Wa 6-SE both are v2. With the combination of Mullard 5V4G and Zenith 13 EM7, the Wa 6 sounds almost as good as Wa22 except sound stage. It is very underated amp.
Sophia 274b can help abit with the soundstage issue with abit of a bass boost on the side

Aug 29, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #4,290 of 4,838
I do not see these out there often, but when I do…
5CC3DD35-9C3B-49C3-9F56-AB9218A6161E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back