Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Aug 29, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #3,241 of 4,838
I have a pair of 6fd7s on order to test out with my wa6, while I'm at it should I also grab a set of 6ew7 or another 6de7?

Can you tell the difference between the stock 6de7s to other branded 6de7 tubes?

Thankyou

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #3,245 of 4,838
Whats your process for comparing tubes? make sure they are all burnt in then swap and compare after a couple of hours?

WA6 is sitting here with stock rectifier and RCA 6DE7's (with +250 hours); still in boxes next to it is a Sophia Princess rectifier and Fat Bottle Slyvania's in 6FD7's and 6EW7.

Sep 13, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #3,246 of 4,838
Whats your process for comparing tubes? make sure they are all burnt in then swap and compare after a couple of hours?
I'd also be interested in this...

Sep 13, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #3,247 of 4,838

WA6 is sitting here with stock rectifier and RCA 6DE7's (with +250 hours); still in boxes next to it is a Sophia Princess rectifier and Fat Bottle Slyvania's in 6FD7's and 6EW7.

I've pretty much used the same procedure with my headphone and speaker amps for years. Enjoy music for at least a week, then without changing anything else, swap the tube(s) and then listen for several more days. Then I may go back to the first tube for a few days. Really gets me a look into the synergy of a system, rather than just the frequency response differences of quicker a/b-ing.

Sep 29, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #3,248 of 4,838
I just wanted to report that after recent evaluations I have finally found another driver/amp. tube for the WA6SE that significantly beats the 6FD7 (my favorite for quite a while up to now). This is the 6CS7, available inexpensively from Ebay. I am using a pair of 6CS7 to 6DE7 adapters made by Deyan. In detail, the comparison shows that at least on my system and with my ears, the 6CS7s significantly improve overall clarity and lucidity. A subtle fuzzy smear and overbrightness when using the 6FD7s is removed, revealing significantly more and more natural musical information, timbres, textures, transients. More highly resolved. I don't ever want to go back to the 6FD7.

I also have evaluated the 6SN7 (old NOS Raytheons) in this application, using another pair of adapters made by Deyan. I prefer the 6CS7s - the 6SN7s still sound a little smeared compared to the 6CS7s.

I should probably give some information on my system: The CD transport is an Ayon CD07s, the DAC is a Schiit Yggdrasil, and the headphones either HiFiMan HE1000V2 (preferred) or Stefan Audio Arts-modified Sennheiser HD800S. My evaluation so far has been mainly with classical music, and a little pop. I suppose it's possible that some sort of anomaly might show up with other types of music like heavy rock, jazz or full organ. I'm planning on trying these out soon.

At least it isn't an expensive experiment.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #3,249 of 4,838
I just wanted to report that after recent evaluations I have finally found another driver/amp. tube for the WA6SE that significantly beats the 6FD7 (my favorite for quite a while up to now). This is the 6CS7, available inexpensively from Ebay. I am using a pair of 6CS7 to 6DE7 adapters made by Deyan. In detail, the comparison shows that at least on my system and with my ears, the 6CS7s significantly improve overall clarity and lucidity. A subtle fuzzy smear and overbrightness when using the 6FD7s is removed, revealing significantly more and more natural musical information, timbres, textures, transients. More highly resolved. I don't ever want to go back to the 6FD7.

I also have evaluated the 6SN7 (old NOS Raytheons) in this application, using another pair of adapters made by Deyan. I prefer the 6CS7s - they still sound a little smeared compared to the 6CS7s.

I should probably give some information on my system: The CD transport is an Ayon CD07s, the DAC is a Schiit Yggdrasil, and the headphones either HiFiMan HE1000V2 (preferred) or Stefan Audio Arts-modified Sennheiser HD800S. My evaluation so far has been mainly with classical music, and a little pop. I suppose it's possible that some sort of anomaly might show up with other types of music like heavy rock, jazz or full organ. I'm planning on trying these out soon.

At least it isn't an expensive experiment.
Which rectifier tube do you use with the 6CS7 driver tubes?

Sep 30, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #3,251 of 4,838
Brimar 5Z4G
Interesting. I have adapters, so I'll try my 6CS7 tubes again with one of my 5Z4 rectifier tubes. I did not like the 6CS7 tubes I bought when I used them with my Mullard CV593 rectifier but the 6CS7 tubes were bought on ebay and may be faulty. They are harsh sounding on some classical music recordings. Old stock ECC82 driver tubes with adapters are my favorite with the CV593. The 6DR7 tubes I have tried are also very good. Like you, I gave up on the 6FD7 tubes. They are too bright for me overall with classical music.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #3,252 of 4,838
I've been listening to LCD-4 through a WA6-SE(ii) with the same valve combo for about the last year: RCA 13EM7 & Brimar 5Z4G ... until yesterday when I gave my KR 5U4G another go. It's been sitting idle all that time not because I don't like it (it's extraordinary) but because on a particular day I decided I really liked the more 'classic 70s British hifi' sound from the Brimar and the KR was unemployed for a while. Yes, a £20 valve edged out a £300 valve - quite an eye opener.

However yesterday I plopped the KR back in and was instantly reminded that it makes the WA6-SE sound like a very expensive modern solid state amp. And then some. In fact the combination of my mood, atmospherics, wind direction, equipment synergy, valve combination and just the right record might just have made the nicest noise I've ever heard from headphones. Ever. Simply astonishing how much difference a change of rectifier valve can make (and I still don't quite understand WHY this can make such a difference). Can't wait to go home tonight and dive in again...

Oct 4, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #3,255 of 4,838
Would anyone know a couple of sub 1000$ headphones that pair well with the wa6?

Currently running some allesandro ms2 and want to keep an eye out for any second hand deals.

Thankyou

I would avoid any of the planer-style headphones. You will likely struggle with output level, unless you roll the driver tubes.

I'd consider the Sennheiser HD600. Massdrop has them for an affordable price just over $200. Perfect pairing for the power output of the WA6, and they sound brilliant. I thought that pairing was better than the HD-800 with the WA6, because of the power needs of the HD-800.

If you're willing to spend a little more-- I love the Fostex TH-x00 Massdrop headphones, but I replaced the ear pads with something more cushy. They are semi-open-- and they run to about $500-- I prefer the purple heart over the ebony and blonde for sound. I haven't heard them paired with the WA6, but they're nice efficient headphones that should sound very nice.

Those two Massdrop releases are the best headphones I've heard under the $1000 level. You get a huge bang for your buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back