Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Nov 7, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #1,682 of 4,838
@ jaywillin

You have to get everything, multiple times.

It's the only way.

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #1,683 of 4,838
Nov 7, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #1,685 of 4,838
  @ jaywillin

You have to get everything, multiple times.

It's the only way.

i'm good at getting stuff multiple times !

Nov 7, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #1,686 of 4,838
  alright guys, i'm new to the 6se, and seeing as how i need to do a little tube rolling, which tube will make the most difference ? the rectifier , or driver, and i've already got a sophia princess, 
so do i got for drivers for now ? tube rolling with the lyr a little familiar with, the wa6se not so much !

also if you read back in the thread you'll find me mentioning how they stack gain wise and that the level of your source may affect which will be enough for harder to drive cans or hi-z cans

but basically you should get all the cheap ones from the woo's site, since you have different cans

Nov 7, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #1,687 of 4,838
alright guys, i'm new to the 6se, and seeing as how i need to do a little tube rolling, which tube will make the most difference ? the rectifier , or driver, and i've already got a sophia princess, 
so do i got for drivers for now ? tube rolling with the lyr a little familiar with, the wa6se not so much !

Try some 6ew7s with the Sophia and your PS1000s

Never did find a driver I liked with the Sophia and Audeze cans, but the 6fd7s were the best of the combos. The 6fd7s and either a 596 or gz32 rectifier worked better for me with Audeze's.

Nov 7, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #1,689 of 4,838
So I was looking at the beginning of this thread and I noticed that some people were running 6SN7 and 6F8G tubes on their wa6/wa6se. I did some digging and even though they are not on the "supported" tubes list from Jack, I had seen that adapters had been made to limit the power being received by these tubes so that they become compatible. Does anyone have information on this?

Nov 7, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #1,690 of 4,838
  What ever rectifier you use, the result will be dependent on mains voltage and output tubes.

good observation, another reason why the chinese shuguang 274b may be better off with the EU 230V like in china than the 110V the wild crowd has here
biggrin.gif

edit: except that would be the transformer's merit not the rectifier's XD

Nov 7, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #1,691 of 4,838
so basically, just get them all and sort them out as to what sounds best, i can do that ! lol

Nov 7, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #1,692 of 4,838
  So I was looking at the beginning of this thread and I noticed that some people were running 6SN7 and 6F8G tubes on their wa6/wa6se. I did some digging and even though they are not on the "supported" tubes list from Jack, I had seen that adapters had been made to limit the power being received by these tubes so that they become compatible. Does anyone have information on this?

WA6 supports 6sn7 /6f8g with adapters, i think woo audio sells them too. they are some of the better tubes to use with this amp.

The WA6-SE supports those tubes as well with special adapters that have added circuitry; they are no longer available though and woo audio does not make them. Jack is very adamant about not supporting them (some BS explanation of sorts/warranty voiding threat was given a while back) and I do not think we will ever see WA6-SE amps with 6sn7 in them anymore.

Nov 7, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #1,693 of 4,838

WA6 supports 6sn7 /6f8g with adapters, i think woo audio sells them too. they are some of the better tubes to use with this amp.

The WA6-SE supports those tubes as well with special adapters that have added circuitry; they are no longer available though and woo audio does not make them. Jack is very adamant about not supporting them (some BS explanation of sorts/warranty voiding threat was given a while back) and I do not think we will ever see WA6-SE amps with 6sn7 in them anymore.

Yeah I looked around and found your posts and the adapters you sold yours. I contacted Glenn to see if he could give me some info on them. Is it better to just give up on those tubes? Those Tung-Sol's you had at the beginning of this thread looked tasty.

Nov 7, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #1,694 of 4,838
  What ever rectifier you use, the result will be dependent on mains voltage and output tubes.

Indeed.

Are those *cough* stock *cough* tubes?

The WA6/WA6SE are very fine amps - demo'ing them with stock tubes is perhaps doing them a dis-service? Particularly the rancid stock rectifier
eek.gif

To demo using the stock tubes is the only honest way of doing it (unless you are *extremely* clearly indicating that you are not doing so).

Nov 7, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #1,695 of 4,838
  Yeah I looked around and found your posts and the adapters you sold yours. I contacted Glenn to see if he could give me some info on them. Is it better to just give up on those tubes? Those Tung-Sol's you had at the beginning of this thread looked tasty.

i am not sure unfortauntely, i never got to trying out those tubes on the WA6-SE, the adapters for those hadn't arrived and the only tube i had at the time was the Treasure CV 181's, those do Not work with the WA6-SE and the adapter so i actually never got to hear a 6sn7'd WA6-SE before i sold it. i am sure though that the 6sn7 will be more musical and tubey than alot of the other driver tubes on the WA6-SE which tend to be more SS sounding; the good ones sounding neutral and the bad ones having shouty grainy-ness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back