Woo Audio WA3 + HD650 upgrade idea's
Jan 4, 2014 at 10:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rajat

New Head-Fier
Hi,

i am new to high audio, came across this site by chance, and that cost me alot of money.

Now i own a HD 650 headphone + Woo Audio WA3 + Audinst HUD MX2.

I need advise on what i should upgrade in this setup that will give the most improvement. Right now i am using the stock tubes on the WA3 and some no name power cord, the HD 650 are stock as well and an using the the included rca cable to connect the audinst to the WA3. For source i have 44khz 16bit music cd rips in flac via usb into the audinst.

Advise would be much appreciated

Thanks

Rajat

P.s - this is my first hi fi setup.

Jan 5, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 9
I think it is worth your money to start material more than equipment.  I think if you do want to upgrade your equipment your money would be best spent on new headphones because they gear you have listed is really quite good and enjoyable.

What kind of music do you like to listen to?

Jan 6, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 9
Hi, i mostly listen to rock (all type - led zepplin, doors, pink floyd, nirvana, pantera, megadeth etc) acoustic/country (john denver, bob dylan) and pop. Dont really listen to jazz and classical. I am very happy with my setup. Was just wondering if i could make it sound even better.

Feb 19, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #4 of 9
Are you playing via computer??? if yes get JRiver it has amazing features setting up the sound they way you like it, you can upgrade you hardware anytime but I think the setup you have is very decent give it sometime once you will break in your hardware (or get use to it) you will enjoy it a lot, I have wasted a lot of money on finding a true sweet spot trust its very painful so lay low and enjoy for few months and in between you will get to know what you are really missing.

one more thing the more you read the more confuse you get.

Feb 19, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 9
You have an excellent setup and I would not upgrade it for a while. The improvements get very small from where you are moving forward. HD650 are highly regarded and work very well with WA3. I'm not a believer in cables....so I won't suggest you upgrade those... The DAC you have I'm not familiar with, but the specs seem nice on the website. The only area I'd suggest any change, and only if you have noise or hum issues, is upgraded tubes. The amp sounds beautiful with stock tubes, and can be flavored slightly with more expensive tubes.....but not necessary. If I had the itch and $ to improve things, I'd get a TungSol 5998 in the output section 1st and then get some older Amperex in the driver section. You have a nice rig, invest in music to listen to. :)

May 12, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #7 of 9
Rajat,

I'm actually quite glad you posted your rig details. I plan on taking the same route. That is 650s with the Wa3. I'm still trying to find a WA3 on this forum. As to your Dac, how did you come up with that choice? I know that a Dac with be the next element I need to pair with the wa3, 650 combo,

May 12, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #8 of 9
Hi my choice of dac was dictated more by availability than anything else. I wanted a entry level and versatile dac and this one was easily available in my part of the globe

Sent from my ME371MG using Tapatalk

Oct 26, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 9
I upgraded the wa3 to the 5998 and the headroom on that tube definitely makes a difference. I feel as though the other tube sounds colder and more analytical in comparison to the original 6as7 tube that came with it. Huge recommendation to tube roll this guy. I don’t recognize the DAC either. I am running a cal audio labs alpha 18 bit with a recent tube upgrade as well. This setup slaaaaams. If you wanted to upgrade pieces I haven’t heard the dac you have paired, but the cal audio labs is my absolute fave piece of equipment. Doing some after work relax and listen.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back