1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by leftside, Nov 20, 2016.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6
8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Next

Last
  1. leftside
    That would be great with the LCD-3. My LCD-3's really appreciate the extra power of the TS 5998's. Also consider 4 * 6BL7's. Check earlier posts for details.

The rectifier that Badas recommended is a good bang for the buck rectifier. Start with that one. I personally wouldn't spend too much on a rectifier. There is a big thread on here discussing the various rectifiers, but I couldn't hear most of the differences mentioned on that thread. All a rectifier does is control the voltage drop...

A tube headphone amp will never be as quiet as a decent solid state amp. I also run a turntable and a tube phono preamp. In theory, it doesn't get much noisier than that, but really any "noise" is only barely audible during the quietest passages of the music. (Disclaimer: I'm going to demo a solid state Audia Flight phono preamp this weekend. More costly than my existing phono preamp, but will it sound as good?).

2. Badas

Yes. It would be great. Very rare tubes tho. They are going up in price daily.

I would start with drivers first.

3. abvolt
    That's an awesome pick I have all of them the ts 5998's along with the 35's are the best my amp has ever sounded don't forget 31's & 32's are also exceptional..enjoy

4. leftside
    and 33's :)

5. abvolt
    have not tried the 33's =6sn7gt mullard but would like to..

6. cheeseeater
    Hi, all.  I have recently acquired a used WA22.  I got it used and I have no manual for it. Obviously the center tube is the rectifier. Because there is just one.  But which of the other sockets are driver/power? They are marked 6SN7 and 6080.  I was assuming that the 6SN7 was the driver socket but I'm not 100% sure.  
    Also, I am waiting for the arrival of a pair of Tung Sol 5998 and I am not sure whether I am supposed to use them as Power or as Driver tubes.  I know you guys can help me.

p.s. Is there an online/pdf manual I can download?

7. MIKELAP
    http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa22.html

8. MIKELAP
    Powers are in the back, rectifier is in the middle drivers each side of the rectifier .By the way welcome to the club 

9. abvolt
    Congrats on your new amp they are simply awesome sounding..enjoy

10. leftside
    Tried out some black base Marconi B65's this evening. Very nice - silky smooth. Sound very similar to the more expensive metal base B65's. I'll be keeping these in the amp for a while.

11. daverich4

The 5998's are Power tubes. I really like the sound of mine.

12. cheeseeater
    Thanks for all the helpful answers! I'm enjoying the wa22 already. Liking it much more than Cavalli Liquid Glass.

So I've got great power tubes coming. Amy suggestions for drivers? What is the consensus about the driver upgrades offered by Woo?

13. leftside
    Check out a few pages back for drivers. Also some good recommendations on the main Woo Audio thread and the 6SN7 thread.

14. cheeseeater
    Yeah. I was a bit embarrassed that after I asked the question I read the whole thread and discovered my question had already been answered. So I'm THAT guy. I am still curious though whether other wa22 owners think Woo Audio does a good job at finding premium tubes for upgrades or whether it's hype.

15. Badas

My opinion is hype. Some he has previously chosen for the WA22 you would have to pay me to install and even then I would have a hard time installing them.

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6
8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Next

Last