Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite
Mar 24, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #676 of 2,685
Again, forgive my ignorance. But since I have a DAC I'm happy with (accepting coax, USB, and toslink--I use strictly coax); and that DAC is not a PS Audio PerfectWave...where does the Raspberry thingie come in? Between computer and DAC? Is that the same as a network/streaming component (there are dozens advertised & talked about all over).
Joao is here.

He can show you some pictures of his: Digital: Raspberry w/ Volumio/DietPI > SOtM dx-usb-hd 2224/Singxer SU-1 > I2S-supported Dac

Mar 24, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #677 of 2,685
Joao,

I was amazed at the price of those small i2s adapter: https://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-Audio-Module-interface-Raspberry/dp/B00ZEWD5VK

Are you using that?

I agree $899 is an insane price for a Bridge II card.

https://www.psaudio.com/products/perfectwave-bridge/

To the others,

The Bridge II is a PS engineered options board that easily slides into the back of any PerfectWave DAC, including DirectStream and instantly transforms the DAC into a state-of-the-art network media server. You can then use any number of handheld touch screens like an iPhone, iPad, iPod or Android device to choose and play all of your music stored anywhere in your home or even over the internet.

The PerfectWave Bridge II makes high-end fun again without any performance compromise whatsoever and removes the need for the DAC to be connected to a computer allowing music lovers the world over to enjoy their digital audio collections with uncompromised performance at the touch of a finger.

Under the hood of the Bridge is a powerful high-resolution true asynchronous parallel approach based on 32-bit architecture with the core processor running at 500mHz and 256mB of high-speed DDR memory.

High resolution audio up to 192kHz 32 bits
The data, which can be up to 192kHz 32 bits, is clocked into a custom Complex Programmable Logic Device that organizes each of the 32-bit frames into the requisite I2S format. That I2S data is then clocked out with extremely low jitter fixed frequency asynchronous clocks and into the PWD through high-speed buffers isolated by a separate power supply.

The net result of this sophisticated asynchronous approach is a high-end, high-resolution network media player that does not care what the quality of the digital audio stream is over the network. What you get is simply breathtaking in its presentation heard through your system.

The music can be sent wirelessly or with a network cable and the sound coming out of the PerfectWave DAC is untouched by the transmission method. You never have to worry about setting sample rates, bit depth or any computer-like requirements. Simply touch play and enjoy.

Network Audio is the future
Network audio is the future and the PS Connected audio system places you at the forefront of technology in the high-end.

We understand that many of these technical terms and concepts may be a bit bewildering so here’s the bottom line: the PerfectWave Bridge simply, easily and without regard to how it receives the music you want to hear, plays everything in your collection perfectly and gets you closer to the music than you may have thought possible
I use the Singxer SU-1 interface.
Again, forgive my ignorance. But since I have a DAC I'm happy with (accepting coax, USB, and toslink--I use strictly coax); and that DAC is not a PS Audio PerfectWave...where does the Raspberry thingie come in? Between computer and DAC? Is that the same as a network/streaming component (there are dozens advertised & talked about all over).
Here I dont use a pc to feed the digital signal, my pc is far from the headphone system, so the raspberry became a tiny pc just to recieve the digital signal and go to the pc. Got it ? It became a endpoint. Like a smart tv on spotify

Mar 24, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #679 of 2,685
Joao,

I was amazed at the price of those small i2s adapter: https://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-Audio-Module-interface-Raspberry/dp/B00ZEWD5VK

Are you using that?

I agree $899 is an insane price for a Bridge II card.

https://www.psaudio.com/products/perfectwave-bridge/

To the others,

The Bridge II is a PS engineered options board that easily slides into the back of any PerfectWave DAC, including DirectStream and instantly transforms the DAC into a state-of-the-art network media server. You can then use any number of handheld touch screens like an iPhone, iPad, iPod or Android device to choose and play all of your music stored anywhere in your home or even over the internet.

The PerfectWave Bridge II makes high-end fun again without any performance compromise whatsoever and removes the need for the DAC to be connected to a computer allowing music lovers the world over to enjoy their digital audio collections with uncompromised performance at the touch of a finger.

Under the hood of the Bridge is a powerful high-resolution true asynchronous parallel approach based on 32-bit architecture with the core processor running at 500mHz and 256mB of high-speed DDR memory.

High resolution audio up to 192kHz 32 bits
The data, which can be up to 192kHz 32 bits, is clocked into a custom Complex Programmable Logic Device that organizes each of the 32-bit frames into the requisite I2S format. That I2S data is then clocked out with extremely low jitter fixed frequency asynchronous clocks and into the PWD through high-speed buffers isolated by a separate power supply.

The net result of this sophisticated asynchronous approach is a high-end, high-resolution network media player that does not care what the quality of the digital audio stream is over the network. What you get is simply breathtaking in its presentation heard through your system.

The music can be sent wirelessly or with a network cable and the sound coming out of the PerfectWave DAC is untouched by the transmission method. You never have to worry about setting sample rates, bit depth or any computer-like requirements. Simply touch play and enjoy.

Network Audio is the future
Network audio is the future and the PS Connected audio system places you at the forefront of technology in the high-end.

We understand that many of these technical terms and concepts may be a bit bewildering so here’s the bottom line: the PerfectWave Bridge simply, easily and without regard to how it receives the music you want to hear, plays everything in your collection perfectly and gets you closer to the music than you may have thought possible
I think it has cheaper ones, like the raspberry pi has a mode to use his hdmi out as i2s i think. But the singxer worth the price , and the raspberry + singxer can be used on any dac

Mar 24, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #680 of 2,685
I use the Singxer SU-1 interface.

Here I dont use a pc to feed the digital signal, my pc is far from the headphone system, so the raspberry became a tiny pc just to recieve the digital signal and go to the pc. Got it ? It became a endpoint. Like a smart tv on spotify

I'm hopeless...can't understand this (but thanks for trying to explain). I actually have an amazing smart TV (big/bad OLED), but had no idea it could play Spotify...? WTH?

Seriously, I'm in the dark ages: cellphone is a flip model from a decade+ back w/no Internet or email; can't text; on and on. I know audio & video, but I don't get networking.

Mar 24, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #681 of 2,685
I'm hopeless...can't understand this (but thanks for trying to explain). I actually have an amazing smart TV (big/bad OLED), but had no idea it could play Spotify...? WTH?

Seriously, I'm in the dark ages: cellphone is a flip model from a decade+ back w/no Internet or email; can't text; on and on. I know audio & video, but I don't get networking.

Seriously, my friend, you don't need these. Just enjoy the music.

Those are just for convenience if your music set up is not close to your PC. The Bridge II is also a network to I2S card can only be used on a DSD or DSDJr.

Mar 24, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #682 of 2,685

Seriously, I'm in the dark ages: cellphone is a flip model from a decade+ back w/no Internet or email; can't text

Joao is here.

He can show you some pictures of his: Digital: Raspberry w/ Volumio/DietPI > SOtM dx-usb-hd 2224/Singxer SU-1 > I2S-supported Dac

This is my raspberyPi with the DietPi operate system to run roon.
P_20190324_131828_vHDR_Auto.jpg
Then the usb goes from the Raspberry pi to my usb interface

P_20190324_131842_vHDR_Auto.jpg
And from the interface to my DirecStream DAC, see that is the coaxial cable.

P_20190324_131852_vHDR_Auto.jpg

So the signal its via Wifi to the raspberry pi, goes to the interface and then the dac. No pc.

The raspberry pi has a roon operate system to allow connect the devices via network. So I can stream to my dac/interface without connect directly to my pc

See my roon printscreen
Since my sotm interface is connected to my raspberry pi he rrecognized it and make a connection with my server.

The point about using a raspberrypi is this, no need a pc on the system, it saves you money, space ( in my case, beacuse i run my rooncore on my desktop pc, that is far from the headphone system)

Untitled.jpg

Mar 24, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #684 of 2,685
I have the perfect wave DirectStream DAC with Bridge 2 card, along with the Signature MicoRenbu SE, and to my ears the Rendu our Performs the bridge in all areas, clearly surpassing the bridge 2

Mar 29, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #685 of 2,685
Hey, guys.
Have been a fan of this thread for a while and have read every post.
Still trying to determine if the low 60hz hum via hp's is an expected outcome of the WA22 (1st gen), stock tubes.
Granted, the hum is very subtle.
Noise floor is affected, regardless.
I'm coming from a dead silent WA7 fed by a dead silent Benchmark DAC3, which I adore.
Think I actually prefer the resolution and sparkle in the higher frequencies via WA7 (JAN's in PSU).
Any suggestion is appreciated.

Mar 29, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #686 of 2,685
Hey, guys.
Have been a fan of this thread for a while and have read every post.
Still trying to determine if the low 60hz hum via hp's is an expected outcome of the WA22 (1st gen), stock tubes.
Granted, the hum is very subtle.
Noise floor is affected, regardless.
I'm coming from a dead silent WA7 fed by a dead silent Benchmark DAC3, which I adore.
Think I actually prefer the resolution and sparkle in the higher frequencies via WA7 (JAN's in PSU).
Any suggestion is appreciated.
More powerful headphone amps can generate a little more noise sometimes with the more sensitive headphones.

What headphones do you have? I know my more sensitive Stellia are certainly more susceptible to noise than the less sensitive LCD-3 or LCD-4. Having said that, the Stellia has an absolutely dead silent black background with the WA22 with <most> tubes. I wasn't a fan of the stock tubes that came with the WA22. I'd see if you can borrow someone else's headphones, or try different tubes. A decent (don't need to go crazy...) power cable can also help and also an isolation device like this:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00006HPFH

Mar 29, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #687 of 2,685
More powerful headphone amps can generate a little more noise sometimes with the more sensitive headphones.

What headphones do you have? I know my more sensitive Stellia are certainly more susceptible to noise than the less sensitive LCD-3 or LCD-4. Having said that, the Stellia has an absolutely dead silent black background with the WA22 with <most> tubes. I wasn't a fan of the stock tubes that came with the WA22. I'd see if you can borrow someone else's headphones, or try different tubes. A decent (don't need to go crazy...) power cable can also help and also an isolation device like this:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00006HPFH

Thanks, Leftside.
Utopia's and Aeon Flow Closed for HP.
Audioquest NRGX 3 prong for power cord.
I picked up the WA22 yesterday as a super clean floor model at local dealer.
I've contacted the dealer, and he was more than eager to order a fresh set of tubes from Woo for me to try.
Great to know that I should expect a silent background from this killer amp.
Loving the dynamics and timbre so far.
Any rec's on squeezing out cleaner, higher resolution?
Not really a warm and fuzzy kinda guy.

Mar 29, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #688 of 2,685
As you've just got it, I'd give the WA22 and the tubes a little more time to settle down.

The better tubes will squeeze out more resolution. Quite a few mentioned on this thread and here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/for-6as7g-tube-rollers-here.410326/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wa22-lets-roll-some-tubes-done-mod-burnning-in.451678/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-reference-6sn7-thread.117677/

I find the GEC tubes seem to extract the most from music sources, but they can be expensive. Enjoy the journey.

Mar 29, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #689 of 2,685
I sent you a PM with an old head-fi posting that described the tonality of dozens of driver tubes.
Hey, BillinSF.
I was hoping you would share that posting with me as I am a proud new father of a baby WA22 that I brought home yesterday.

Mar 29, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #690 of 2,685
As you've just got it, I'd give the WA22 and the tubes a little more time to settle down.

The better tubes will squeeze out more resolution. Quite a few mentioned on this thread and here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/for-6as7g-tube-rollers-here.410326/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wa22-lets-roll-some-tubes-done-mod-burnning-in.451678/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-reference-6sn7-thread.117677/

I find the GEC tubes seem to extract the most from music sources, but they can be expensive. Enjoy the journey.
That's generous of you.
I know this is has the potential to be a long and winding road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back