1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by leftside, Nov 20, 2016.
First

Back
35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54
Next

Last
  1. attmci
    Mine is not noisey at all.

But one of mine is dead when it was traveling from EU to the US (welded plate/metal base).

I took the loss because the seller is a friend.

2. Pharmaboy
    How do you know? Just by looking at it?

I just installed a 1959 Mullard Blackburn GZ34 fat base this morning. Looks similar except for larger/black base. Burning that in right now.

Also just finished burning in the 2 X GE 6BL7 GTAs. Did just a minute of so of listening late this afternoon--seems to have filled in a bit on top & bottom compared to previous set (Mullard CV593 + matched pair Sylvania Gold Brand 6080).

Really have no idea what I'm doing here--but I'm doing it anyway.

3. BillinSF
    OMG. Watching NCAA here, and am so pumped up for the Auburn-Kansas game.

But you folks have me so jazzed for the WA22 I am plugging in for some jazz and funk during the game. I run WE 422A rectifier (1959), through TS 5998 (1967) power tubes with RCA grey glass VT-231 (1942) drivers. I spent 2 times the price of the Woo WA22 on tubes, but it sounds damn good with Tidal HiFi. Holographic with enormous space.

Pharmaboy, I bought my Woo about 3 years ago, and still really don't know what I was doing either. But right away I grabbed a couple dozen NOS tubes because I saw they were rare.

I need to listen to the Woo more than I do. IMG_0751.JPG

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    Slerpy and leftside like this.
  4. attmci
    Nope. Left had talked to himself before. LOL

5. leftside
    Doesn't get much better than that Bill! Great glow with the WE 422A.

Another Tidal fan - appears we have a few on here.

6. BillinSF
    Thanks Leftside. I do not do justice to our fellow Woo lovers. I really gotta offload some of my stuff to folks who listen all the time. Dammit, I'm single. I don't even need headphones! :)))

7. BillinSF
    Leftside, want to have your heart skip a beat? I had an original Carver amp from the 80's. Perfect condition and sold it 6 years ago to buy Sonos. Out of my f'ing mind. Didn't fully understand that I could have bridged all my digital music.

8. attmci
    Joao,

The Mconnect Player can play/send the music stored on my Synology (through bridge II) to DirectStream. By pass the PC helps to reduce the noise level.

Sometimes you can get parts cheap here: https://forum.psaudio.com/c/marketplace

I do use USB for DSD.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  9. Pharmaboy
    Now, that's interesting. Which amp? I still have a cube I bought ~'85. Also a Carver tuner. Both need some TLC by a qualified tech, but after that, good to go.

(so much stuff like that lying around here...it's a scandal)

10. BillinSF
    I wish I could tell you the model Carver. It had two white windows with meters. But it was the big-name amp killer. I have been looking to find one on eBay - no luck.

11. Joao Paulo Martins
    Hey, attmci. The raspberry with the interfaces makes a good deal , i think it beats the bridge ii. I prefer them, beacuse the bridge is a not universal product. Here use the i2s and coaxial, that has no noise. And it works on any dacs. So if one day i change my dac, i can keep running i2s out or coaxil via network.

The cost to bring one here is huge. The customs have a 60% tax fee on the shipping price. And the resale here for a dac for this level is not easy

But I appreciate your advice !!!

Best regards

Joao

Obs: a get a ps audio mki and upgrades to the dsd dac.

12. attmci
    Joao,

I was amazed at the price of those small i2s adapter: https://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-Audio-Module-interface-Raspberry/dp/B00ZEWD5VK

Are you using that?

I agree $899 is an insane price for a Bridge II card.

https://www.psaudio.com/products/perfectwave-bridge/

To the others,

The Bridge II is a PS engineered options board that easily slides into the back of any PerfectWave DAC, including DirectStream and instantly transforms the DAC into a state-of-the-art network media server. You can then use any number of handheld touch screens like an iPhone, iPad, iPod or Android device to choose and play all of your music stored anywhere in your home or even over the internet.

The PerfectWave Bridge II makes high-end fun again without any performance compromise whatsoever and removes the need for the DAC to be connected to a computer allowing music lovers the world over to enjoy their digital audio collections with uncompromised performance at the touch of a finger.

Under the hood of the Bridge is a powerful high-resolution true asynchronous parallel approach based on 32-bit architecture with the core processor running at 500mHz and 256mB of high-speed DDR memory.

High resolution audio up to 192kHz 32 bits
    The data, which can be up to 192kHz 32 bits, is clocked into a custom Complex Programmable Logic Device that organizes each of the 32-bit frames into the requisite I2S format. That I2S data is then clocked out with extremely low jitter fixed frequency asynchronous clocks and into the PWD through high-speed buffers isolated by a separate power supply.

The net result of this sophisticated asynchronous approach is a high-end, high-resolution network media player that does not care what the quality of the digital audio stream is over the network. What you get is simply breathtaking in its presentation heard through your system.

The music can be sent wirelessly or with a network cable and the sound coming out of the PerfectWave DAC is untouched by the transmission method. You never have to worry about setting sample rates, bit depth or any computer-like requirements. Simply touch play and enjoy.

Network Audio is the future
    Network audio is the future and the PS Connected audio system places you at the forefront of technology in the high-end.

We understand that many of these technical terms and concepts may be a bit bewildering so here’s the bottom line: the PerfectWave Bridge simply, easily and without regard to how it receives the music you want to hear, plays everything in your collection perfectly and gets you closer to the music than you may have thought possible

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  13. Pharmaboy
    This "bridge" stuff confuses me (a lot). Just looked at the link for the Raspberry thingie. It looks like a tiny DAC. So how/why connect this to a DAC in one's system...?

(audio networking is one area where my ignorance remains at 1980s level)

14. attmci
    Just modified the previous post. :)

There are other similar products on the market.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  15. Pharmaboy
    Again, forgive my ignorance. But since I have a DAC I'm happy with (accepting coax, USB, and toslink--I use strictly coax); and that DAC is not a PS Audio PerfectWave...where does the Raspberry thingie come in? Between computer and DAC? Is that the same as a network/streaming component (there are dozens advertised & talked about all over).

First

Back
35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54
Next

Last