1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by leftside, Nov 20, 2016.
First

Back
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Next

Last
  1. Badas

I ran my WA22 with the LCD-3 for over a year. Very nice.

2. N15M0
    How's it compared with other tube amp like eddie current ZDS and the dragon inspire?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Badas
    image.jpg

It looks nice and sounds goodish. However it bloody hums. Sometimes I find this amp very fustraiting.

I wanted something different. So I ripped out the TAK274B and TSRP's and installed the 596 and compatable drivers.

I think the TAK has the edge. One thing I noted is when you get to a certain level of tubes on the WA22 the sound is not all that different. I think the caps restrict tube differences to show. Not a Tubey sounding amp.

I think it is the TS power tubes being noisy. So my next session I will try 6BL7 power tubes. They are usually dead quiet and silky sounding. Let's see what they do.

If I don't hear magic from the 6BL7 I will just revert back to my benchmark tubes. TAK, TS and GE.

4. davehg

That is my other setup. The combo of HDs with the WA22 and Blue Dragon is a keeper. If you come across a set of Cardas clear balanced cables, you'll have the perfect system to take you off the merry go round, as they are a bit better than the blue dragons, but of course much pricier, so look for a bargain.

5. Abcidian

​Thanks for the advice. Something to watch for. I hope to receive my XLR interconnects soon so that I can finally run my WA22 fully balanced. My amp doesn't have the phase splitter so I'm not getting the most out of it right now running it single ended from my phono stage.

6. Badas
    image.jpg

Okay 6BL7 fixed everything. Damn 6BL7 is a great tube for the WA22.

It fixed the hum/buzzing I was hearing with the other power tubes. It finially gave me what I was listening for as well. Super lushness that tube amps are known for.

This sound might actually compete with my SS amp now. The V281. At least it sounds different enough. I have a real love/hate relationship with the WA22 and after getting the V281 I have a hard time hearing a reason that tells me to keep it.

I'm using the flat plate 6BL7.

Another surprise is the humble, easily available RCA 6SN7 teams up well with the 596. I've got bucket loads of RCA 6SN7's.

7. abvolt

Just ordered a pair of tube adapters so I can use 4 6BL7's anxious to hear the differences, I'd sure like to hear the TAK just a bit on the pricey side for me..enjoy

leftside likes this.
  8. leftside
    The only problem I've found with the 6BL7 or 6BX7 is finding 4 that perfectly match construction wise. There are lots of slight variations, but I have a few matching quads now. Maybe that is just my slight OCD and perhaps it doesn't matter too much.

9. Badas

I've mixed them up. Sometimes on purpose to mix sounds. X plates and flat plates on the same adapter.

10. Abcidian
    Finally received my XLR interconnects today. Now I can listen fully balanced. Played three albums and the initial impression is obviously more gain but I did notice that the HD650's were definitely sounding better. More open and the veil has lifted. First was Led Zep 3, then Pink Floyd Animals and to wrap it up Santana Supernatural. Enjoyed them all!

11. abvolt
    I agree my wa22 is balanced from dac to amp then hp's is the only way to go, way more power from the amp i'm in the 9 to 11 oclock range which is high volume on low gain..enjoy

12. latestyle
    Hi, guys. How hot does WA22 get in an office desktop setting? It would be fine now but during summer... =/

13. Badas

I'm in summer now. It doesn't get that hot.

If you are worried about it run 6BL7 power tubes. Great sound (one of the best) and it runs the amp cool. My DAC gets warmer than my tube amp using 6BL7's.
    6BL7 should be labeled a supertube.

14. latestyle
    Thanks for the comment and recommendation!

Badas likes this.
  15. cheeseeater
    Does anyone else hear a hum through their headphones even when the power is off, the power cord is not connected, the xlr cable are disconnected and the tubes are cold? I'm thinking I have a capacitor issue.

First

Back
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Next

Last