Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite
May 17, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #1,711 of 2,685
Just a quick follow-up on my best300B order - got my shipping notification today! I also got a nice email from Łukasz Fikus (Lampizat0r), who confirmed that his son (and owner of Best300B.com) is very sick and not really able to process orders right now. Others have said, and I believe, that these are very nice people, who happen to be under a lot of personal stress right now.

FYI

Awesome. Appreciate the update!

May 17, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #1,712 of 2,685
Beautiful sound, smoothing, sweet vocal and mid, wild soundstage, treble is clear and tight. Rectifier Mullard 5V4G, driver RCA 6SNGT VT-231 and power TS5998.
PXL_20220517_155105762.jpg

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #1,713 of 2,685
Awesome. Appreciate the update!
Welp, that didn't last long....I got a cancellation order today. No email explaining why, nothing.

Now I'm on the hunt for another distributor...

May 19, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #1,714 of 2,685
How is your impression on 6sl7's tubes?. Are they working fine with the WA22?. Please let me know, i have a pair of TS 6sl7 coming next week, thanks.
Unfortunately I haven't had much time listening with them. One of the pins may be loose, as when the amp heats up I get noise. It goes a way with a slight wiggle, but it's persistent. I may end up getting another pair of 6SL7's, perhaps Tung Sol. However, I didn't notice any excessive heat coming from the amp.

May 19, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #1,715 of 2,685
Unfortunately I haven't had much time listening with them. One of the pins may be loose, as when the amp heats up I get noise. It goes a way with a slight wiggle, but it's persistent. I may end up getting another pair of 6SL7's, perhaps Tung Sol. However, I didn't notice any excessive heat coming from the amp.
I received my pair and tried them out for about 1 hour. They have higher gain than my 6sn7's, so they are good for high impedance headphones. They also bring out more aggressive in the mid and vocal and like you said i did not feel any excessive heat at all.

May 21, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #1,716 of 2,685
I bought my first rectifier the emission labs 5u4g mesh for my wa22 but would like suggestions on my next step. I have been told power tubes would be next. Any suggestions on power tubes? I don't mind spending some cash to replace my stock tubes. I just need suggestions! Thx in advance!

May 21, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #1,717 of 2,685
May 21, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #1,718 of 2,685
Thx for the info! I will check them out

May 21, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #1,719 of 2,685
Thx for the info! I will check them out
Note that there are two different types of Tung-Sol 5998's. The bottom getter version is supposedly the same as the WE 421A. The top getter version is a bit less sought after. I have pairs of both and can't tell the difference, other than my bottom getter's have green text and the top getter's have white text. Prices can get out of hand on eBay, but some digging can turn up reputable sellers that don't charge an arm and a leg. I very recently got two new pairs, both NOS. The top getter's were $200 and the bottom getters were $300.

May 21, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #1,720 of 2,685
Note that there are two different types of Tung-Sol 5998's. The bottom getter version is supposedly the same as the WE 421A. The top getter version is a bit less sought after. I have pairs of both and can't tell the difference, other than my bottom getter's have green text and the top getter's have white text. Prices can get out of hand on eBay, but some digging can turn up reputable sellers that don't charge an arm and a leg. I very recently got two new pairs, both NOS. The top getter's were $200 and the bottom getters were $300.
That is $200 and $300 per tube?

May 21, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #1,721 of 2,685
Nope, per matched pair :)

Keep in mind there are a lot of great tubes out there that aren't as expensive. Some of my favorite tubes are late 40's/early 50's RCA 6AS7G's that cost $40 a pair.

Last edited:
May 21, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #1,722 of 2,685
Nope, per matched pair :)

Keep in mind there are a lot of great tubes out there that aren't as expensive. Some of my favorite tubes are late 40's/early 50's RCA 6AS7G's that cost $40 a pair.
That price is cheap compared to woo audio website. They had them for like $900 a pair

May 21, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #1,723 of 2,685
That price is cheap compared to woo audio website. They had them for like $900 a pair
Woo's site is a bit extreme for tubes. But they make the best adapters I've found (although I believe there are a few makers on this forum who also make some nice ones). Buy yeah, their tubes are a bit pricy.

May 24, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #1,724 of 2,685
Woo's site is a bit extreme for tubes. But they make the best adapters I've found (although I believe there are a few makers on this forum who also make some nice ones). Buy yeah, their tubes are a bit pricy.
If you call and talk to Mike he'll happily offer up an explanation. I'm not sure of the quantities they typically purchase, but Mike will make it clear that the tubes they purchase and test are for audio purposes only. They want to ensure good sound and a quiet background. He's said they've had to reject entire shipments of tubes before. Now, I'm not saying that justifies their high prices, but hey, they're in business to make money. And they're not primarily a tube supplier. I've purchased tubes from them before and it's nice not having to worry if the tubes will be good or not.

You're right regarding the adapters though, they are hands down the best. Speaking of which, I need to order my adapter and USAF 596 :)

May 24, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #1,725 of 2,685
If you call and talk to Mike he'll happily offer up an explanation. I'm not sure of the quantities they typically purchase, but Mike will make it clear that the tubes they purchase and test are for audio purposes only. They want to ensure good sound and a quiet background. He's said they've had to reject entire shipments of tubes before. Now, I'm not saying that justifies their high prices, but hey, they're in business to make money. And they're not primarily a tube supplier. I've purchased tubes from them before and it's nice not having to worry if the tubes will be good or not.

You're right regarding the adapters though, they are hands down the best. Speaking of which, I need to order my adapter and USAF 596 :)
No no, I get it - I bought all of my 13EM7's as well as my first 596 (and adapters) from them. But some of their stuff is just nuts. For example:

https://wooaudio.com/tubes/takatsuki-ta300b-pair-ltr7k - The Takatuski's are like $1,600 all day long on every reputable web seller, and those are all brand-new tubes with 5-year warranty. I could understand a 20% markup, but almost 40% over is a bit much.

For comparison, their deal on 596's (with adapter) is actually a bargain, considering these have been going for $225-250 by themselves on eBay.

To each their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back