Woo Audio WA2 Review
Nov 27, 2008 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

xenithon

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all. Not sure if it has been mentioned here, but wanted to point out a new review of the Woo Audio WA2 at CNet. In a nutshell:

We like: Best performance we've ever heard at this price point; stunning design

We don't like: Gets extremely hot; no protection for valves

You might also need: Various valve upgrades available at time of purchase; high-end headphones

Judgement: The WA2 breathes phenomenal new life into even the greatest headphones on the planet. It may not rise to the greater heights reached by the more costly Woo Audio gear, but at this price point it blew away everything we've ever heard.

woo-wooaudio2-440x330_1.jpg

Nov 27, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

We don't like: Gets extremely hot; no protection for valves

Those GE tubes do get pretty hot... I wonder if they changed any of the tubes...

Nov 27, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #4 of 15
One of the things I like about my Woo 2 is that it does not get overly hot. Strange.

cheers
Simon

Nov 27, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #5 of 15
I can't imagine with those tubes it gets hot. Maybe they are talking about the tubes. I have read this before when people weren't used to tubes or understood what they were about.

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #6 of 15
Thats My next Preamp/HeadPhone amp...in black with all the upgrades.
I think Jack increased the gain or something also. I know something was recently upgraded.
I heard it a few times with many headphones. Sounds great!

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #7 of 15
They changed the rectifier from the 6X4 to the EZ80, which should give it a bit more juice and handles low-Z 'phones much better.

The Pieman - perhaps since yours still has the 6X4's it runs a little cooler?

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmwwhats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great timing on posting this review; I was looking for info on the WA2 in consideration of moving from the WA6-SE to the WA2. THANKS.

if your wa6SE is relatively new and unblemished, i believe jack takes trade-ins...
for customers who've purchased directly from him. you should contact him for
the exact details. it may save you some time and hassle of selling.

Nov 27, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeMat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the WA2 compare to a WA6 (pseudo dual PS modded) with a sophia princess tube ? it's almost the same price so I think the comparison may be interesting.
rolleyes.gif

Jack, reports the WA2 has a softer, warmer, more "tube-like" sound, than the WA6 - regardless of the rectifier used. The WA6 reportedly has a more dynamic, punchy, neutral sound than the WA2. Of course, the WA2 uses different tubes and has a bit broader tube selection available for it.

But... it would be good if someone has done a direct comparison - to get their impressions.

If you haven't done so already... you might do a search on this forum and see if you can find one. I don't recall ever seeing one.

Nov 28, 2008 at 10:37 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They changed the rectifier from the 6X4 to the EZ80, which should give it a bit more juice and handles low-Z 'phones much better.

The Pieman - perhaps since yours still has the 6X4's it runs a little cooler?

Yep, quite probably correct. Even with the EZ80's I wouldn't have thought it would run that hot anyway.

Simon

Nov 28, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #13 of 15
This is an amp I have always wanted to try...maybe someday...

Nov 28, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #14 of 15
My feeling is that if it does sound warmer than the Woo 6 amp it could because of a larger power supply. It's gorgeous looking though. I love the thick steel of the chasis. Probably can survive a fire or explosion. The industrial strengh of these woo amps are an attractive feature.

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
My feeling is that if it does sound warmer than the Woo 6 amp it could because of a larger power supply. It's gorgeous looking though. I love the thick steel of the chasis. Probably can survive a fire or explosion. The industrial strengh of these woo amps are an attractive feature.

Thats strange for an otl amp to sound warmer than a set amp.I have the ray samuels raptor otl and most people think it sounds more like a solid state amplifier.But we could be comparing apples to oranges.I have never heard a woo audio amp. But I have always wanted to.But as things go I have never had the opportunity.No one I know has one.I have missed a couple of headphone shows in the chicago area and from what I have read there has been a second unify meet proposed for chicago and just maybe I will make an attempt to go to a meet.Maybe if I do maybe I will be lucky and someone will bring a woo amp to the meet.Well here is hoping the meet comes to fruitation and becomes a reality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back