Woo Audio WA2 or WA6SE
Nov 3, 2009 at 6:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Tonski

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

Just looking for some advice on which of these I should get. I have a budget of around US$1600 to spend on a new headphone amp. I am sold on getting a Woo Audio just don't know which one. I have to allow around $115-$145 for shipping to Australia so my thoughts are either with a WA2 with premium parts upgrade and a set of the Tungsol 7236 or a WA6SE with premium parts package.

I can upgrade tubes later on when $$ permit. I am using a set of Grado GS1000 at this point. Woo Audio have advised to go with either of these units. I would like to know what you guys think. Also if there is anybody out there selling one of these units at a reasonable price and is willing to ship to OZ please contact me.

Many thanks,

Tonski

Nov 3, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #2 of 21
One of the most commonly asked questions on the boards. I have a wa2 inbound, I chose it because it has a warmer (more tubelike) signature than the wa6se, I already have a solid state setup so I thought it would provide me with a bigger contrast.

That being said, I do believe that the wa6se is more versatile, as well as possessing sonic characteristics that Jack has no doubt mentioned.

Also one common response you will most likely get is that because of your headphones you should go the transformer coupled wa6se, a lot of other people will also suggest that the gs1000 performs admirably on the wa2.

As you can see from my response, there is no "right" choice. Flipping a coin will provide you with just as much luck. Also where abouts are you in Aus? If you are in the right place, you may be able to demo a unit from one of the Aussie headfiers.

Nov 3, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #3 of 21
I just tried ordering a set of the tungsol 7236s from woo audio - I think all they have are sylvania 7236s which jack told me via email have less noise and a better sound. They are NOS from I think '63.

Nov 3, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #4 of 21
If you have some time up your sleeve to think it out then try to get to the next Sydney (if that's where you are) meet.
There is a guy on here (covenant) who always comes and afaik he has a wa6se w/ premium parts + SE mesh plate.
You could listen with you gs1000 and see what you think =]

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 21
Thanks everyone for the responses so far. I am based in Brisbane so if there are any headfiers in my area who have one of these units I would love to get the chance to listen before I order.

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 21
I have no experience with the WA2 but I spent six wonderful months with a WA6SE w/premium parts and Sophia Princess coupled to the GS1000i. It is a wonderful combo and I can't possibly imagine that you would be disappointed.

The only thing I didn't like about the WA6SE was the two-chassis arrangement. It wouldn't have bugged me if I wasn't constantly moving things around (trying for the best organization) but I would have preferred a single-chassis amp.

I highly recommend the EML 5U4G for the WA6SE. IMHO it is a better value than the Sophia tube even though it's more expensive.

You can't go wrong here so try to listen to them and then go with your gut...

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by indydieselnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only thing I didn't like about the WA6SE was the two-chassis arrangement.

Oddly, that's one of the features that made me buy the 6SE
biggrin.gif
Seperate power supply = no EMI from the toroid getting into the analog section of the amp at all.

Nov 4, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oddly, that's one of the features that made me buy the 6SE
biggrin.gif
Seperate power supply = no EMI from the toroid getting into the analog section of the amp at all.

No argument here with regards to the performance advantage...I was only talking about how it was a bit more troublesome to move around. A small gripe about an amp that otherwise comes pretty close to perfection in my book.

Nov 4, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by nattonrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have some time up your sleeve to think it out then try to get to the next Sydney (if that's where you are) meet.

Sydney meet? When's this happening? If its not too far from me I'll come along, and bring some stuff with me. I'm considering getting woo amp, so would love a listen beforehand.

@covenant: did you have to pay a hefty customs bill on importation of the wa6se?

Nov 5, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sydney meet? When's this happening? If its not too far from me I'll come along, and bring some stuff with me. I'm considering getting woo amp, so would love a listen beforehand.

@covenant: did you have to pay a hefty customs bill on importation of the wa6se?

Sydney meets happen pretty much whenever enough interest gets kicked up. Venue doesn't seem to be much of an issue atm, with my board room and Nickyboyo's hall at fairfield both possibilities, so it's just a matter of there being enough people keen to form one.

Actually, customs didn't touch my amp. Jack underdeclared it for me - although if you go that route you run the risk of lost packages.

Nov 5, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #12 of 21
I have mentioned to John and we thought that early in January would be a good time for the next meet.
I was going to make a PM effort sometime soon to check with the main people from the last couple of meets before starting the usual IC thread.

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sydney meets happen pretty much whenever enough interest gets kicked up. Venue doesn't seem to be much of an issue atm, with my board room and Nickyboyo's hall at fairfield both possibilities, so it's just a matter of there being enough people keen to form one.

Actually, customs didn't touch my amp. Jack underdeclared it for me - although if you go that route you run the risk of lost packages.

Might still be in Sydney during the summer holidays. On the other hand maybe I'll be somewhere cooler temperature-wise - considering Tuesday I think its going to be hot this year.

Where's your boardroom? I live near parra so Fairfield is close to me
wink.gif

by "lost packages" do you mean customs sending it back? Customs fees, all those forms, etc - what a hassle for items >1000AUD. I wish we had better access to audio equipment here.

Nov 6, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where's your boardroom? I live near parra so Fairfield is close to me
wink.gif

by "lost packages" do you mean customs sending it back? Customs fees, all those forms, etc - what a hassle for items >1000AUD. I wish we had better access to audio equipment here.

In the CBD, near the queen victora building.

By "lost packages" i mean australia post quite literally losing your amp. All mail carriers occasionally misplace parcels (or have them stolen). And you can only insure the package for the value you declare it for to customs. So if you deliberately underdeclare to avoid cusoms, you cannot insure it, and therefore run the risk of being completely out of pocket if your amp goes missing in postage.

Jun 10, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #15 of 21
Sorry, to bring back to life an old thread but I am going through the same thought process right now.  Do WA6SE owners find that the power connector between the two units generate any hum or is it well insulated?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back