Woo Audio WA11 Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 20, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #137 of 774
Screenshot_20190121-104047_Instagram.jpg

That is what I mean... it feels like a misalignment to me, isn't it?

Jan 21, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #139 of 774
Ah, cool, thanks. Yeah, out of curiosity, I look into their recent video and now the line made sense. :)

Jan 21, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #140 of 774
It's a challenge when you have a seam where 2 pieces meet and then the LEDs placed at that seam point.

Let's give Woo Audio the benefit and assume they will match parts with an eagle eye in detail for aesthetics.

Should be soon. I'm getting excited!!

Jan 21, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #141 of 774
True. I'm excited for it too, have placed a pre-order myself with a local store here. Hopefully it works great with Ether 2. :D

Jan 22, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #143 of 774
@CactoesGel, So I've also pre-ordered this WA11 and I'm also the owner of a WA8. Maybe I can share a little bit about why I need both.

For me the WA8, does a fantastic job of working as my transportable rig. I use it on my desk, working & use it bedside. I've also traveled with it out of the country. It's a great unit, that I don't see myself not having in my life. It's DAC is very well implemented and satisfies my taste with the warmth in sonics that I love so much via its tubes. It's a top-notch unit....But....it's heavy. Lugging that puppy around internationally was effort. Worth the effort? I think so. But if I had my choice, I'd primarily use it as I typically do, as a desktop & bedside rig.

Enter the WA11. I personally envision this being my travel rig. The specs are perfect for long haul flights. Some people have heard the prototypes Woo has shown at various Can Jams around the world over the last year or so. People seem to think highly of it. We are told that the production version is superior to the prototype. So, like many others, we are pre-ordering on the faith we have that this unit will deliver what we expect. Outstanding sonics, power, a light-weight package and a great build quality. It's not cheap...but sometimes, you have to pay for the quality.

So, I guess why I pre-ordered this WA11 is to have more flexibility to have my high-end audio on the go. Just being able to have something that I can use that has sonics that are as good as my main rig, sonics as good as my work rig and now having something that I can use on the go. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #146 of 774
I’m very interested in this amp, but I have a question that I hope either Woo or someone else can answer.

The WA11 is advertised as a fully balanced design. Does this mean the DAC section is also balanced, or is it only the amplifier section?

The reason I ask is there appears to be only one ESS DAC for both channels. I would assume this means the digital section then is not balanced since this would require two DACs, one for each channel.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 6, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #147 of 774
The reason I ask is there appears to be only one ESS DAC for both channels. I would assume this means the digital section then is not balanced since this would require two DACs, one for each channel.

I couldn't find the datasheet, but some chips are capable of a balanced output, otherwise it could be converted to balanced before reaching the amp, or it may have two chips. I think only WooAudio can answer that.

Feb 7, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #148 of 774
I couldn't find the datasheet, but some chips are capable of a balanced output, otherwise it could be converted to balanced before reaching the amp, or it may have two chips. I think only WooAudio can answer that.

It would have to be a 4 channel DAC in order to be balanced: right channel positive and invert, and left channel positive and invert.

Feb 7, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #149 of 774
It would have to be a 4 channel DAC in order to be balanced: right channel positive and invert, and left channel positive and invert.
You don't need 4 channels to have a balanced output. Found the data sheet in a Russian forum, the chip has 2 pins for each channel (DACL and DACLB for the left channel, DACR and DACRB for the right channel).
upload_2019-2-6_22-11-38.png

Then if you see the table that defines the pins, they are differential positive and differential negative.

upload_2019-2-6_22-13-10.png

And then there's an application diagram of how to get the balanced signal from those differential outputs
upload_2019-2-6_22-14-33.png

So assuming they are using the chip in that configuration then the WA11 has a balanced DAC section.

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-6_22-12-45.png
    upload_2019-2-6_22-12-45.png
    121.1 KB · Views: 0
Feb 7, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #150 of 774
You don't need 4 channels to have a balanced output. Found the data sheet in a Russian forum, the chip has 2 pins for each channel (DACL and DACLB for the left channel, DACR and DACRB for the right channel).

Then if you see the table that defines the pins, they are differential positive and differential negative.

And then there's an application diagram of how to get the balanced signal from those differential outputs

So assuming they are using the chip in that configuration then the WA11 has a balanced DAC section.

Thank you for your post. As long as the digital section is balanced as well, and your post seems to logically suggest it is, I’m in for the WA11. I like the form factor and apparent build quality, so I think it will be a nice upgrade for my RHA DacAmp to drive my Utopia and D8000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back