Woo Audio WA-8
Jul 9, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #691 of 838
Using Audio Station I am able to play over computer speakers and also over my Sonica Speaker (not DAC). I connected my HA-2 and songs on these albums still don't play so must be issue with Synology NAS. So far every album that doesn't play has .jpg at time of rip over 250kb

Yep! I went through EVERY hi-res album and none play if image was 200kb or above! Anyone having same issue?

Sent Synology a support ticket.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #692 of 838
Two observations:

1. You really want to put some rubber feet on the back of the WA8 so you can lay it on its side. Completely removes any worry of possibly tipping it over and breaking something.
2. It's really not cool that the XMOS USB drivers for Windows 10 are unsigned. This means you have to disable Secure Boot in the BIOS and then run a command in Windows 10 to disable driver integrity checking permanently. This significantly decreases the security of Windows. This is not Woo's fault, but the fault of lazy engineers at XMOS who don't want to put in the time/money to get their drivers signed:

http://www.xcore.com/viewtopic.php?t=5114

Maybe more pressure from vendors and consumers will work? What tasks can possibly be "higher priority" than not exposing your customers to malware infections because they want to use your DACs?

I have met this issue today, oh....what a bad luck is i cannot close the secure boot since i have no admin rights.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #693 of 838
Update: Synology has given me a Beta DS Audio to test and it appears to have resolved the issue.

Listening to: Incognito, "Beneath the Surface" album.

Aug 16, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #694 of 838
I recently took a cross country flight with my Aeons and Woo Audio WA8 on Delta airlines. This will be a review of both the Mr. Speakers Aeon and the WA8.

My flight was broken into two portions a 2-hour flight followed by a 3-and-a-half-hour flight. The 2-hour flight was on an Embraer 175 which had power at the seat but no IFE system. The second leg was on a 757-300 which had power at the seat and Delta Studio IFE system. Both pieces of equipment and cables could fit in my carry-on and where pretty easy to retrieve once I arrived at my seat. The fact that the WA8 runs off the battery meant there was no noise transmission through the power circuit as the crew turned the 120v power off and on during engine start. Once airborne the sound isolation was better than expected for a headphone that isn’t noise cancelling. I was barely able to hear the cabin announcements and I was unable to hear people speaking around me. The headphones needed to be removed to hear the flight attendant speaking to me. The headphones did a very good job blocking out the higher pitched noise of the air moving around the airframe. What you could hear at reduced levels was the sound from the engines. So, a flight in a MD-90-30(ER) with the engines mounted on the rear of the aircraft may reduce this a little more? I truly wish I had an opportunity to fly A-380 since it is one of the quietest aircraft in the cabin. I’m a flier that picks routes based on plane I’ll be flying on.

Comfort

I could wear the Aeon headphones without any fatigue for the 5 and a half hours of flight time. The first leg without the IFE I listened to Bobby Hutcherson and some other jazz. I was able to recline the seat and sleep without the headphones getting in the way of the seatback. When changing positions there wasn’t any leaks created. At no point did my ears get hot or sweat. The WA8 although large could fit on the half-folded tray table once airborne and didn’t slide around. I could still place food and drink on the folded tray table.

aeon.jpg

WA8.jpg

Sound

On the second leg while using the IFE I found the sound was more theater like and more 3-dimesional while using the WA8 and a double ended 3.5mm cable connected line in. So, I would recommend that in the headphone case. I have all but given up using the HA-2 as I highly prefer the sound from the WA8, so it will be left at home for my next flight in September. The Aeon is to me a headphone that produces sound exactly as the artist intended nothing added or subtracted. Explosions slammed as they are supposed to and music had a nice sound stage and is highly detailed. I was so immersed into the movie Kong: Skull Island, I forgot about the headphones. You cannot go wrong with the Aeon as a travel headphone.

Travel

The one thing I must say is an issue unrelated to the headphones, is the case. The case desperately needs a loop. I was forced to re-pack the case each time I moved from aircraft to terminal and back to the second aircraft as opposed to being able to clip to my bag with a carabiner. Going through the TSA checkpoint I still had the headphones and amp packed in my carry-on. Once through security and in the gate area I didn’t feel comfortable unpacking the headphones since I would still have had to hold it in my hands as opposed to clipping it on. Using Delta app almost requires two hands, LOL. The WA8 has a carabiner on the Pelican case which makes it easy to transport during a connection. When the cabin 20 minutes to landing announcement is made and to store all the electronic equipment the WA8 cools fast enough that it can be stored in its case without feeling the heat will warp the case. As an aside I have 15 pelican cases of various sizes and I warped my Pelican laptop briefcase while sitting a little too close to a hotel fireplace. Those of us that are in need of the waterproof seal warping is an issue, I took my WA8 to the beach! There is mesh storage in the headphone case which held my HA-2, headphone DUM cables, USB cable and the 3.5mm line cable, although from this point on I doubt I’ll be taking the HA-2 anywhere. Choose your aircraft wisely www.seatguru.com

Summary

The Mr. Speakers Aeon and the WA8 is an excellent travel setup it just requires use of the seatback/armrest tray table. A short flight will allow use of the WA8 without having to unpack the power supply so regional jets like the ERJ that don’t have seat power you can still enjoy high quality sound. If the headphone case gets a loop I’ll definitely be first in line to get one. I am very pleased with my Aeon purchase as it allows me to take the Mr. Speakers sound on the road.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #695 of 838
I recently took a cross country flight with my Aeons and Woo Audio WA8 on Delta airlines. This will be a review of both the Mr. Speakers Aeon and the WA8.

My flight was broken into two portions a 2-hour flight followed by a 3-and-a-half-hour flight. The 2-hour flight was on an Embraer 175 which had power at the seat but no IFE system. The second leg was on a 757-300 which had power at the seat and Delta Studio IFE system. Both pieces of equipment and cables could fit in my carry-on and where pretty easy to retrieve once I arrived at my seat. The fact that the WA8 runs off the battery meant there was no noise transmission through the power circuit as the crew turned the 120v power off and on during engine start. Once airborne the sound isolation was better than expected for a headphone that isn’t noise cancelling. I was barely able to hear the cabin announcements and I was unable to hear people speaking around me. The headphones needed to be removed to hear the flight attendant speaking to me. The headphones did a very good job blocking out the higher pitched noise of the air moving around the airframe. What you could hear at reduced levels was the sound from the engines. So, a flight in a MD-90-30(ER) with the engines mounted on the rear of the aircraft may reduce this a little more? I truly wish I had an opportunity to fly A-380 since it is one of the quietest aircraft in the cabin. I’m a flier that picks routes based on plane I’ll be flying on.

Comfort

I could wear the Aeon headphones without any fatigue for the 5 and a half hours of flight time. The first leg without the IFE I listened to Bobby Hutcherson and some other jazz. I was able to recline the seat and sleep without the headphones getting in the way of the seatback. When changing positions there wasn’t any leaks created. At no point did my ears get hot or sweat. The WA8 although large could fit on the half-folded tray table once airborne and didn’t slide around. I could still place food and drink on the folded tray table.

Sound

On the second leg while using the IFE I found the sound was more theater like and more 3-dimesional while using the WA8 and a double ended 3.5mm cable connected line in. So, I would recommend that in the headphone case. I have all but given up using the HA-2 as I highly prefer the sound from the WA8, so it will be left at home for my next flight in September. The Aeon is to me a headphone that produces sound exactly as the artist intended nothing added or subtracted. Explosions slammed as they are supposed to and music had a nice sound stage and is highly detailed. I was so immersed into the movie Kong: Skull Island, I forgot about the headphones. You cannot go wrong with the Aeon as a travel headphone.

Travel

The one thing I must say is an issue unrelated to the headphones, is the case. The case desperately needs a loop. I was forced to re-pack the case each time I moved from aircraft to terminal and back to the second aircraft as opposed to being able to clip to my bag with a carabiner. Going through the TSA checkpoint I still had the headphones and amp packed in my carry-on. Once through security and in the gate area I didn’t feel comfortable unpacking the headphones since I would still have had to hold it in my hands as opposed to clipping it on. Using Delta app almost requires two hands, LOL. The WA8 has a carabiner on the Pelican case which makes it easy to transport during a connection. When the cabin 20 minutes to landing announcement is made and to store all the electronic equipment the WA8 cools fast enough that it can be stored in its case without feeling the heat will warp the case. As an aside I have 15 pelican cases of various sizes and I warped my Pelican laptop briefcase while sitting a little too close to a hotel fireplace. Those of us that are in need of the waterproof seal warping is an issue, I took my WA8 to the beach! There is mesh storage in the headphone case which held my HA-2, headphone DUM cables, USB cable and the 3.5mm line cable, although from this point on I doubt I’ll be taking the HA-2 anywhere. Choose your aircraft wisely www.seatguru.com

Summary

The Mr. Speakers Aeon and the WA8 is an excellent travel setup it just requires use of the seatback/armrest tray table. A short flight will allow use of the WA8 without having to unpack the power supply so regional jets like the ERJ that don’t have seat power you can still enjoy high quality sound. If the headphone case gets a loop I’ll definitely be first in line to get one. I am very pleased with my Aeon purchase as it allows me to take the Mr. Speakers sound on the road.

That is an amazing travel setup. What do you use for the source?

Aug 17, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #696 of 838
Right now Samsung S6 Edge running USB Audio PRO. Its nice I can control it using my Gear S3.

I run my Synology NAS directly into the WA8 at home

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #697 of 838
We've been using this with good results.

http://amzn.to/2mp3E7f

I am a happy new WA8 owner (thanks again Mike :wink:)
I was curious about the possibility of using the above recommended by Mike "RAVPower 23000mAh Portable Charger 4.5A DC Output External Battery Pack".

Mike (or anyone else who tried it) - is any of the included laptop tips work with the WA8 and provide power from the RAVPower DC out? Can you provide a photo that shows this setup?
I am not sure I would even need it, but looking at possible options...

Aug 26, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #698 of 838
Another question (still waiting for my question regarding RAVPower to be answered):
Do people connect the WA8 straight to the laptop / PC, or do you go through some USB "noise reduction" / "signal enhancement" such as the iFi Audio nano-iGalvanic3.0 or micro-iUSB3.0 ?
I am curious whether it improves signal with WA8, or whether the WA8 already has built-in USB conditioning circuitry that renders those above products obsolete / un-necessary.

So... is it for real, or yet another snake oil? :wink:

Aug 27, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #699 of 838
Another question (still waiting for my question regarding RAVPower to be answered):
Do people connect the WA8 straight to the laptop / PC, or do you go through some USB "noise reduction" / "signal enhancement" such as the iFi Audio nano-iGalvanic3.0 or micro-iUSB3.0 ?
I am curious whether it improves signal with WA8, or whether the WA8 already has built-in USB conditioning circuitry that renders those above products obsolete / un-necessary.

So... is it for real, or yet another snake oil? :wink:
I feed mine through the iFI Micro iUSB 3.0. To me it's still somewhat cleaner with it than without but it's not a significant difference - just noticeable. The notes just seem to have are more polished finished rather than a tad "smudgy" or "smearing".

Mind you it's not just power, but it's all the reclocking stuff too.

Edit (10 mins later): Let me take back that "not a significant difference" comment, it's quite noticeable.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #700 of 838
I feed mine through the iFI Micro iUSB 3.0. To me it's still somewhat cleaner with it than without but it's not a significant difference - just noticeable. The notes just seem to have are more polished finished rather than a tad "smudgy" or "smearing".

Mind you it's not just power, but it's all the reclocking stuff too.

Edit (10 mins later): Let me take back that "not a significant difference" comment, it's quite noticeable.

Interesting. I hope others would respond as well to have a few more opinions :)
iFi currently offer 2 main USB enhancing products - the micro iUSB that you use, and the newer (JUST released) iGalvanic which is the nano iUSB (mind you NOT the micro iUSB) with added galvanic isolation.
So, if I decide to bite, I am wondering (and hope others can offer their opinions) whether I should buy the new iGalvanic or the former flagship micro iUSB... iFi recommends to get both and chain them, but I am not going to spend $600-700 on improving my USB chain! Assuming I get anything, it would be either or!
Slightly better clock (micro iUSB) or galvanic isolation (iGalvanic)???
The 2 sources I use, BTW, are a custom built PC (running Windows 7) and Dell XPS 15 (running Windows 10).

Aug 28, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #701 of 838
@HiFiGuy528 Mike - have you guys tested any of the iFi Audio products for improving the USB signal quality?
The brand new nano-iGalvanic3.0 or the (former ?) flagship micro-iUSB3.0 ?
Also, is there ANY built-in circuitry inside the WA8 to recondition / reclock USB? Any other recommended product that you tested?

Aug 29, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #702 of 838
Just curious, what do the sounds that these devices fix sound like? I want to try and listen to determine if I should get one to place between my Synology NAS and WA8 and future WA33.

Aug 29, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #703 of 838
Just curious, what do the sounds that these devices fix sound like? I want to try and listen to determine if I should get one to place between my Synology NAS and WA8 and future WA33.
I have asked the thread in general, and Mike in particular, but got only 1 response so far.
I am also asking myself whether I should put ANYTHING between my PC and the WA8, and if so - which of the several competing products (some are competing each other within iFi Audio...).
I understand the result would vary and depend on:
- How noisy (or not) is your USB port on your PC / laptop?
- How sensitive is your DAC to noisy USB interface? (some like the Bimby have USB "de-crapifying" built-in)
- Length of USB cables (and their quality)

In other threads, some people swear there is a very noticeable improvements, while others laugh it off... (not specifically with WA8 though)

Aug 29, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #704 of 838
I have asked the thread in general, and Mike in particular, but got only 1 response so far.
I am also asking myself whether I should put ANYTHING between my PC and the WA8, and if so - which of the several competing products (some are competing each other within iFi Audio...).
I understand the result would vary and depend on:
- How noisy (or not) is your USB port on your PC / laptop?
- How sensitive is your DAC to noisy USB interface? (some like the Bimby have USB "de-crapifying" built-in)
- Length of USB cables (and their quality)

In other threads, some people swear there is a very noticeable improvements, while others laugh it off... (not specifically with WA8 though)

I don't mean any disrespect to the WA8 but I think it really depends on what you're hooking up these USB noise isolators/reclockers to. e.g. My iUSB Micro outputs to 2 DACs - 1x to the WA8 and the other is to my Resonessence Labs Invicta (1.0). With the Invicta, the benefits of the iUSB Micro 3.0 is less noticeable.

At least to my mind, to say that these USB isolators/reclockers improves sonics equally to all DACs it connects to would be false statement.

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #705 of 838
I don't mean any disrespect to the WA8 but I think it really depends on what you're hooking up these USB noise isolators/reclockers to. e.g. My iUSB Micro outputs to 2 DACs - 1x to the WA8 and the other is to my Resonessence Labs Invicta (1.0). With the Invicta, the benefits of the iUSB Micro 3.0 is less noticeable.

At least to my mind, to say that these USB isolators/reclockers improves sonics equally to all DACs it connects to would be false statement.

That is great info, because I am mostly looking into potentially buying one of those for the WA8. So I obviously interested in improvements (if any) to WA8 sound quality :)
Sounds like the micro-iUSB improves WA8's sound!
@AnakChan - would you say with the WA8 the improvement is noticeable? What does it change in your opinion - details? sound stage? something else?
That is not an insignificant expense at $350 for the new iGalvanic, and the micro-iUSB that you use is $400...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back