Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 18, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #28,172 of 42,299
I thought the EML Glass inside my Woo was brilliant! But it suffered from questionable reliability and less than desirable pricing.

Knock in wood, all the EML I purchased still alive. Unfortunately I have to sold all of them to get a matched pair in the future.

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #28,173 of 42,299
Warmer yet neutral? 
blink.gif

Oct 18, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #28,174 of 42,299

Isn't he in Virginia? He returned my call one morning... at 0030 hours PST! Said he was just wrapping up work on an amp and was going to bed. Further, he engaged me in friendly chat for another 20 minutes.
blink.gif

This cat is driven, enthusiastic, dedicated and friendly. The audio community benefits from participants like him.

Yea, he's like an hour away from me and is a late owl like me so sometimes it's easiest to catch him in the odd post 12pm est hours.

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #28,176 of 42,299
  I thought the EML Glass inside my Woo was brilliant! But it suffered from questionable reliability and less than desirable pricing.

I really am hoping that the reliability is not as bad as all that.  I've used my EML 5U4G far more than the 596 that recently died and I've had no issues whatsoever with the EML glass.  And I put in an order for a quad of EML2A3's for my upcoming EC amp.  God help me if they die fast.  I agree with you wholeheartedly on the pricing, though.

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #28,177 of 42,299
  I really am hoping that the reliability is not as bad as all that.  I've used my EML 5U4G far more than the 596 that recently died and I've had no issues whatsoever with the EML glass.  And I put in an order for a quad of EML2A3's for my upcoming EC amp.  God help me if they die fast.  I agree with you wholeheartedly on the pricing, though.

I first learned about production issues and early tube failures with the EML 5U4G back in 2010. The plant shut down and re-tooled and a couple of minor revisions made with making the tube. 

This thread saw the early demise of the EML recs in the thread starter's WA5. If memory serves, the EML had difficulty handling the amount of in-rush current the big Woo was throwing at it during start-up.

2359glenn researched and found a more robust rectifier for dannie01 to do the job in the WA5. A legend was born... 

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #28,178 of 42,299

I first learned about production issues and early tube failures with the EML 5U4G back in 2010. The plant shut down and re-tooled and a couple of minor revisions made with making the tube. 

This thread saw the early demise of the EML recs in the thread starter's WA5. If memory serves, the EML had difficulty handling the amount of in-rush current the big Woo was throwing at it during start-up.

2359glenn researched and found a more robust rectifier for dannie01 to do the job in the WA5. A legend was born... 

Well, I refute the robustness of the rectifier he has identified.

deadhorse.gif

That said, I do think that there are cheaper options available, but I'm hoping that the production issues have been dealt with. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #28,180 of 42,299
The 596 just doesn't photograph as well as Ms Sophia.

Oct 19, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #28,181 of 42,299
  The 596 just doesn't photograph as well as Ms Sophia.

Yup, last one's very nice indeed. But the first one has a very nice color contrast going, so it's very nice too, in its own way. How long was the exposure? (on either)

Oct 19, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #28,182 of 42,299
  Yup, last one's very nice indeed. But the first one has a very nice color contrast going, so it's very nice too, in its own way. How long was the exposure? (on either)

Here's the Noob 'photographer' answer: everything was set on Auto+. If I'm reading this correctly the first picture was 1" so one second @ f2.8 using my ghetto 30mm macro (yea, I'm that photographer who thinks everything is 'artistic' in macro). As for the last one I think I did manual exposure so ISO was set at 100 and shutter speed is listed as 5" so 5 seconds?

Does that make sense?

Oct 19, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #28,184 of 42,299
Somehow we are going to find one last cache of 596's and we'll all have a nice supply forever....Time to start touring old military bases....

Oct 19, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #28,185 of 42,299
WA2 and WA6SE...

I would like to know which of the two is more neutral sounding with good clarity and big soundstage that sound good with classical and vocals. I know both are very good amps but their identical price made the job quite hard for me. So I want to know which is more towards the "neutral" side and which is more towards the "tubey warm" side. Thanks in advance :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back