Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 4, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #24,751 of 42,299
Yeah, I would love to try an interconnect worth that much. However, I'm a bit of a tight arse when it comes to cables, so I bought Mogami Studio Gold XLR's ... Cost me $75 AUS.. apparently recording studios use this, and it reviews well on websites too. Then of course there's the age old argument as to whether cables make a generous improvement or not:wink:

Apr 4, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #24,752 of 42,299

Monster Cable Studiolink, even less expensive
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 4, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #24,753 of 42,299
Quote:
Quote:
Has anyone had any experience with sending in a Woo Audio amp for repair? Cost & experience with Woo audio repair?

Just got a repair cost back from Woo as they received my Wes. The quote was an extremely reasonable repair cost. Since it's an older build, they're also giving me the option for power supply change and modification of the DC cord which should help the prevent the amp from over-heating.

I'm torn between the two options as the makeover is also reasonably priced at $350+shipping. I just don't want the sound to become altered especially after spending some time with the unit. To repair the blown transistors it would be just $150+shipping.

I'm leaning towards just a straight repair but would like to hear others opinions on whether or not the PSU upgrade would be worth it. Oh and don't use UPS to ship as the unit arrived with some knicks and the power supply knobs effed up during shipment(mainly my fault because of the packing material
tongue_smile.gif
). It's mainly my fault but it's no concern as I don't plan to sit and stare at the device. It's there for listening not looking.

Sorry to hear about your amp's bumps & bruises. I'm sure over the weekend you'll make the right decision. Even if this means sending me 
wink_face.gif
a PM to discuss your third option...
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #24,754 of 42,299
Quote:
Anyone have any suggestions for a good balanced interconnect that would work well with a WA22?  My budget is around $1000 list for a 1 meter pair which I will probably try to find used for $400-$600.

I know cables are an argument waiting to happen.  I am in the camp of "get quality cable from a reliable source, and don't buy marketing".  I get ALL of my cables for any interconnect for audio/video from BlueJeans cable(the exception being headphone cables).  The owner has been an engineer for 20 years and is a great source of information.  I bought a 6' pair of balanced interconnects to run from my Woo DPS-1 DAC to my WA22 from them and the price was ~$70 for the pair....great stuff(I even had my choice of 5 colors!!)

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #24,755 of 42,299
Quote:
I know cables are an argument waiting to happen.  I am in the camp of "get quality cable from a reliable source, and don't buy marketing".  I get ALL of my cables for any interconnect for audio/video from BlueJeans cable(the exception being headphone cables).  The owner has been an engineer for 20 years and is a great source of information.  I bought a 6' pair of balanced interconnects to run from my Woo DPS-1 DAC to my WA22 from them and the price was ~$70 for the pair....great stuff(I even had my choice of 5 colors!!)

+1 for BJC.

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #24,756 of 42,299
Mac Hero always raved about the Kimber Hero XLRs with his WA22, they cost a few bucks but are still considered somewhat of a value proposition in comparison to some.

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #24,757 of 42,299
+2 on Blue Jeans Cables.
@migasson - the common studio interconnect is Neutrik xlrf to xlrm with either belden, canare or mogami shielded twisted pair or star quad cable. Very effective at minimizing EMI/RFI while preserving the signal. The gold pins are a plus to avoid issues with oxidation, a real concern where salt air is present. You are all set.

Apr 5, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #24,758 of 42,299
Quote:
Anyone have any suggestions for a good balanced interconnect that would work well with a WA22?  My budget is around $1000 list for a 1 meter pair which I will probably try to find used for $400-$600.

Honestly I would go with something from Monoprice and put the money into headphones and tubes-- or better yet some vintage records-- where you'll get the most bang for your buck.

Apr 5, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #24,759 of 42,299
@atomicbob.. Cheers! Yeah, I did read about those others, Canare, and Belden, what swayed me was that I got the Mogamis close to home:wink: it was a musicians shop too, when I told the salesperson what you could buy hi-fi XLR'S for, he swore, then his jaw dropped!!

Apr 5, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #24,760 of 42,299
Quote:
@atomicbob.. Cheers! Yeah, I did read about those others, Canare, and Belden, what swayed me was that I got the Mogamis close to home:wink: it was a musicians shop too, when I told the salesperson what you could buy hi-fi XLR'S for, he swore, then his jaw dropped!!

I have way more money in cables than headphones?How did that happen?

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #24,762 of 42,299
Another recommendation for Blue Jeans Cables.  All of my digital and stereo cables are BJC and I have zero complaints.

Apr 5, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #24,764 of 42,299
I like a fairly nice cable too, but I would reconsider spending approx. half of the value of the actual amplifier just on the interconnects (unless your amp has upgraded internal wiring at same level of expense on the other, inside end of the XLR connector....)

Personally, I wanted easily available short cables at a good price (i.e. nicer than Monoprice, but not nearly at "audiophile" cost), so I got 2 Zaes silver interconnects (rated for AES/EBU, but from what I've read that's not an issue, more the opposite, and certainly not at that length). They use nice high-quality Neutrik plugs, don't really care one way or the other about the cable being silver, and certainly don't think they sound "brighter". I've used them with a couple of different balanced DACs to my WA22 and like them just fine. 3ft is about the perfect length with the 2 next to each other (I also got 1ft one for actual AES/EBU use, that one's definitely too short for that setup)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back