Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 3, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #23,731 of 42,299
But first they have to make sure that the Woo gets to Yoo.

DELIVERING THE WA234 MONO BLOCKS

Jan 3, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #23,732 of 42,299
That would be proper drop shipping then, eh?

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #23,734 of 42,299
Nice Clayton!

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #23,735 of 42,299
Hi guys. It's been a while since of been on the forums. I've been laying low and buying vinyl. Going against my better judgment I decided to start buying more expensive tubes for my 22. I came across the group deal for the 596 tubes and contacted silent one. I came to find out the deal was over and apparently there were some problems with the tubes.

So I contacted my local tube guy. He checked his warehouse and looked for a couple of tubes for me. He came back with two that look unused. He told me he had plenty more in the warehouse and I asked him do a count. I want to help people get a 596 for themselves but seeing that I'm not a tube dealer I can't really guarantee anything beyond them looking new. I'm still waiting for the count I'll let you guys know what I find out and pricing if we buy in bulk. I just want to be upfront with everybody and stay right from the get-go that I can do whatever I can to get them a tube but I can't guarantee them at all. I realize that prospect might be offputting to some people but I just want to be upfront with everybody. I can't wait to hear these myself. Like I said I'm still waiting for my adapter from Glenn. Here's a picture one of the bad boys: I'm not sure what the original boxes look like or if this is them but they seem to include these little cathode plugs

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #23,736 of 42,299
http://s2.postimage.org/q7t143bop/image.jpg

Bleh. Bigger picture (hopefully)

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #23,737 of 42,299
Quote:
http://s2.postimage.org/q7t143bop/image.jpg
Bleh. Bigger picture (hopefully)

Looks good PR!...BTW, the 596 is awesome in the CSP2+....

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #23,738 of 42,299
So, after lurking on these forums for a while and posting here and there, I have succumb to the call of Woo. WA3+ to be precise. Current setup is iTouch gen4 serving lossless 16 and 24bit to a Pure i20 and then to the Woo and into HD558s on my head as I'm typing this. Tubes are 6Н1П-ЕВ and 6H13C Winged =C=. Tried some RCA 6GU7 with side getters and it sounded ok, then right back to the soviet tubes for an extended session. Background is dead black and I'm extremely pleased that I decided to get this amp, although I think my wallet is a bit confused. Unit appears to be a newish one, early 2011. There seems to be interest periodically in pics of the innards of the woo variants, so I've attached some below showing the hybrid circuit card point-to-point style. I look forward to participating in some of the rolling threads and mods. :)

Jan 3, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #23,739 of 42,299
Quote:
Hi guys. It's been a while since of been on the forums. I've been laying low and buying vinyl. Going against my better judgment I decided to start buying more expensive tubes for my 22. I came across the group deal for the 596 tubes and contacted silent one. I came to find out the deal was over and apparently there were some problems with the tubes.

So I contacted my local tube guy. He checked his warehouse and looked for a couple of tubes for me. He came back with two that look unused. He told me he had plenty more in the warehouse and I asked him do a count. I want to help people get a 596 for themselves but seeing that I'm not a tube dealer I can't really guarantee anything beyond them looking new. I'm still waiting for the count I'll let you guys know what I find out and pricing if we buy in bulk. I just want to be upfront with everybody and stay right from the get-go that I can do whatever I can to get them a tube but I can't guarantee them at all. I realize that prospect might be offputting to some people but I just want to be upfront with everybody. I can't wait to hear these myself. Like I said I'm still waiting for my adapter from Glenn. Here's a picture one of the bad boys: I'm not sure what the original boxes look like or if this is them but they seem to include these little cathode plugs

Thanks for returning with a larger pix. Just for the sake of clarity, there were only problems with "no flashing" with a few of the tubes, not all of them. Like many a buried treasure, once unearth it may or may not serve. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #23,740 of 42,299
Hello all,

After following this thread, I took the plunge and ordered and received a WA6 SE which came with Shuguang 274B and Sylvania 6ew7s tubes.  I am far from an audiophile so my setup is pretty basic and is as follows:  iPod nano --> Pure i-20 (it has a built in DAC) --> WA6 SE --> Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ohms or Grado SR325is.

The stock tubes sounded ok, I suppose.  From reading recommendations from this thread, I then upgraded to EML 5u4g mesh plate.  This new config sounds ok.  It has slightly more bass (but still lacking) then with the Shuguang 274B but the vocals are more forward for my taste.

Then I read about Brimar 5r4gy which seems like an economical solution to my little issue.  But, they seem to be hard to find.  My question is that is Philips 5r4gys (made in Holland) a good sconic equivalent to the Brimar?  Upscale Audio has them at the moment.  I am not sure what the extra suffix 's' means.  Any advise is appreciated.

And one final question, what other power/drive tubes should I try with EML 5u4g and 5r4gy to improve the sound quality?  I listen mainly to rock, pop, classical (no particular order).

Thanks again.

Jan 3, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #23,741 of 42,299
aren't the 6FD7 tubes supposed to have nice bass, more than the 6EW7?

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #23,742 of 42,299
Just a side note...

After running a balanced phono stage, a PS Audio GCPH, into my WA22, rather then a Musical Surroundings Phenomena II (single ended) I did note a difference, much tighter rhythm, particularly the bass. Soundstage ever so slightly wider, and more evenness across the frequency range. The bass also had more impact. I noticed this after hearing the drumming on Julia Stone's album "By The Horns" listening to Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" MOV 180gram reissue, the saxophone didn't run as hot through the GCPH. Now to try the Violectric PPA V600 phono stage:)

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #23,743 of 42,299
Hello all,

After following this thread, I took the plunge and ordered and received a WA6 SE which came with Shuguang 274B and Sylvania 6ew7s tubes.  I am far from an audiophile so my setup is pretty basic and is as follows:  iPod nano --> Pure i-20 (it has a built in DAC) --> WA6 SE --> Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ohms or Grado SR325is.

The stock tubes sounded ok, I suppose.  From reading recommendations from this thread, I then upgraded to EML 5u4g mesh plate.  This new config sounds ok.  It has slightly more bass (but still lacking) then with the Shuguang 274B but the vocals are more forward for my taste.

Then I read about Brimar 5r4gy which seems like an economical solution to my little issue.  But, they seem to be hard to find.  My question is that is Philips 5r4gys (made in Holland) a good sconic equivalent to the Brimar?  Upscale Audio has them at the moment.  I am not sure what the extra suffix 's' means.  Any advise is appreciated.

And one final question, what other power/drive tubes should I try with EML 5u4g and 5r4gy to improve the sound quality?  I listen mainly to rock, pop, classical (no particular order).

Thanks again.

Best combo for WA6/SE, IMHO, Mullard GZ34 metal base with 6FD7.

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #23,745 of 42,299
Is anyone using 6cy7 power tubes in their WA6SE?

Thanks!   
happy_face1.gif

GrindingThud - Thanks for the photos. Very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back