Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Nov 14, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #6,706 of 42,299
Honestly though with that much mod I don't think it would make that much of a difference.  However it'd be better suited for higher imp phones than regular wa6s.

Honestly Japanese rest in NA isn't that great, esp in socal where I used to work.  There's a substancial japanese population up in Canada where I live, and even at the most authentic place I could find, my friend from Japan still asked me, "WTH is teriyaki chicken", when I took her there.

Nov 14, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #6,707 of 42,299
Quote:
 Most of the great tubes come from the Netherlands so you should be lucky to live there.
biggrin.gif

I would indeed expect a lot of Philips tubes to be available around here but have had no luck finding a seller for WA6 drive tubes. For small niche stuff like this though I have found that Ebay is generally a great place to look. Especially when the USD is weak compared to the Euro you can find great deals and for some reason shipping tends to be cheaper overseas than domestic!

Nov 14, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #6,708 of 42,299
jc9393, that tube store looks pretty awesome!  I like the cabinets where the tubes are displayed :D

Nov 14, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #6,709 of 42,299
Quote:
jc9393, that tube store looks pretty awesome!  I like the cabinets where the tubes are displayed :D

Some people have wine cellars in their house.  I'm going to have a tube cellar with lighted display cases...
beerchug.gif

"Try this vintage WWII-era vacuum tube with round plates and bottom getter.  I feel it has a sweet midrange with a nice, slightly spicy after finish, almost like a calming breeze on an Autumn day."

Nov 14, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #6,710 of 42,299
Quote:
Quote:

Some people have wine cellars in their house.  I'm going to have a tube cellar with lighted display cases...
beerchug.gif

"Try this vintage WWII-era vacuum tube with round plates and bottom getter.  I feel it has a sweet midrange with a nice, slightly spicy after finish, almost like a calming breeze on an Autumn day."

Should I let it breathe for about an hour before "tasting?"
wink_face.gif

Nov 14, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #6,711 of 42,299
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

beerchug.gif

Should I let it breathe for about an hour before "tasting?"
wink_face.gif

Yes, with all vintage tubes you'll want to let them open up before 'tasting'.  This can be accomplished by swirling the tube and letting it reach its peak temperature.  You'll also want to place your ears close to the tube so you can fully sense its warmth. 
darthsmile.gif

Nov 14, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #6,712 of 42,299
Does anyone own the WA22 and LCD-2's?  I'm deciding today on new phones for the yet-to-be-delivered WA22.  T-1's have been at the top of my list but..........I wasn't aware that the cable has to be hard-wired to go balanced(but I can get them a good price from Woo since I'm buying an amp at the same time).  So that puts the HD800 back in the running but.........a balanced cable and phone is more than the T-1 and having the work done.  Last...........LCD-2 which have the cable option but no clue on the pairing with the WA22.  Everything I read says to be careful with amp matching.  Plus some say they are uncomfortable plus they look a bit ugly(which has no bearing on anything).  Ken Ball at ALO said they are the best phone he's ever heard.  You can get one from 32Ohm today but.......you have to buy the ALO cable which adds another $500.  Or order and wait.

Nov 14, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #6,713 of 42,299
^ For balanced use you may want to check out the new HE-6 while it's at its introductory price; it should be able to be driven from a WA22 with 7236/5998 power tubes and it comes with a very nice 4-pin balanced XLR stock cable. Anyways if mine ever gets here I can tell you for sure how they match up. I have only heard the LCD-2 single-ended out of the WA22 with the stock cable and I thought that they sounded better out of my EF5, so I wasn't that impressed but that could change with a good balanced cable I suppose.

Quote:
 for some reason shipping tends to be cheaper overseas than domestic!

It's like that here too, globalization at its finest 
smile.gif

Nov 14, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #6,714 of 42,299
Good afternoon everyone!

I am proud to announce that my new baby WA2 arrived today, and it is simply amazing compared to my audio gd c2 amp i used to have.   This little bundle of joy was carefully unwrapped and then put on top of the counter for first time listening session.  I am super excited and cant wait until a few weeks of burn in.  For those who are wondering I just got the stock unit and put the extra money into buying tubes.  Thank you everyone for your input and also for those I pm'd your input was very much appreciated.

I setup is now

iMac---Audio GD DI----Dac3se----WA2 (stock)---Beyer dt880/akg sextett--- wonderful sounding.

Have a wonderful evening or morning to you all

tink97

Nov 14, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #6,715 of 42,299
^ Enjoy your new WA2 and have a wonderful musical future with your new amp and future NOS procurements.

Nov 14, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #6,716 of 42,299

Quote:
Does anyone own the WA22 and LCD-2's?  I'm deciding today on new phones for the yet-to-be-delivered WA22.  T-1's have been at the top of my list but..........I wasn't aware that the cable has to be hard-wired to go balanced(but I can get them a good price from Woo since I'm buying an amp at the same time).  So that puts the HD800 back in the running but.........a balanced cable and phone is more than the T-1 and having the work done.  Last...........LCD-2 which have the cable option but no clue on the pairing with the WA22.  Everything I read says to be careful with amp matching.  Plus some say they are uncomfortable plus they look a bit ugly(which has no bearing on anything).  Ken Ball at ALO said they are the best phone he's ever heard.  You can get one from 32Ohm today but.......you have to buy the ALO cable which adds another $500.  Or order and wait.

Just have the stock T-1 cable re- terminated with new balanced XLR ends, 

I have the LCD 2 (stock cable single ended and Balanced Blue Dragon ) and the T-1 (stock cable balanced) they are close in sound signature.. I have only had the T-1 a week.. I can safely say to my ear,, the LCD 2 has a little more sound stage and a bit more bass and the bass can go a bit lower. T-1 may be a little more revealing as far as detail,, I had a WA 22 for the summer and can say the LCD 2 would be a great match. But did NOT have the WA 22 and the T-1 or the LCD 2 at the same time.   So my impressions of the two headphones are  with my Balancing act.  Good luck..

Nov 14, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #6,717 of 42,299

Quote:

This coming weekend I will have the opportunity to listen to the lcd-2 off my wa22. I will be sure to report the results. 

Nov 14, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #6,718 of 42,299
I have not heard the LCD-2 with my WA22.  I am driving a pair of HD800 with a Cardas cable and balanced connectors and I really like it.  Hope that helps.

Nov 14, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #6,719 of 42,299

Congrats on the new addition.  I'm sure you are going to love your Woo.

Quote:
Good afternoon everyone!

I am proud to announce that my new baby WA2 arrived today, and it is simply amazing compared to my audio gd c2 amp i used to have.   This little bundle of joy was carefully unwrapped and then put on top of the counter for first time listening session.  I am super excited and cant wait until a few weeks of burn in.  For those who are wondering I just got the stock unit and put the extra money into buying tubes.  Thank you everyone for your input and also for those I pm'd your input was very much appreciated.

I setup is now

iMac---Audio GD DI----Dac3se----WA2 (stock)---Beyer dt880/akg sextett--- wonderful sounding.

Have a wonderful evening or morning to you all

tink97

Nov 15, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #6,720 of 42,299

Quote:
I finally popped in my newly acquired black glass Ken-Rad VT-231s!  Man alive these are incredible tubes.  The sound is so articulate and detailed.  I need another pair...
darthsmile.gif

The Ken Rad is one of the better known tubes I decided not to explore.  Can't afford them all, and after going straight for the prize I thought my appetite for tubes would die down.  Turns out it hasn't!  I just enjoy the variety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back