Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Dec 19, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #41,087 of 42,299
Well, it looks like another of my Genelex Gold Lion 300b tubes is wonky. The volume on the right side started to get softer, and I swapped tubes left to right and it followed. Anyone else have this problem with Genelex? I probably have maybe 40 hours on them combined.

I swapped back in the stock Shugang and the bass was better but mids and highs less so. After 2 hours it got better, but it is not nearly as smooth as the Genelex.
ACE3B2E7-5DB0-4FEE-B687-6743F1E0368D.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #41,088 of 42,299
Well, it looks like another of my Genelex Gold Lion 300b tubes is wonky. The volume on the right side started to get softer, and I swapped tubes left to right and it followed. Anyone else have this problem with Genelex? I probably have maybe 40 hours on them combined.

I swapped back in the stock Shugang and the bass was better but mids and highs less so. After 2 hours it got better, but it is not nearly as smooth as the Genelex.
ACE3B2E7-5DB0-4FEE-B687-6743F1E0368D.jpeg
Sorry to hear about your tubes, but you stated that another Genelex Gold Lion 300b tube went bad? Just curious how many have you invested in?

Dec 19, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #41,089 of 42,299
Three so far. Two have gone south.

Dec 20, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #41,091 of 42,299
I have the same amp. and just started upgrading my tubes, I try to look at what Woo Audio is selling then look on the web to see if I can find them at a better price.

Yeah, there’s really no free ride with the WA5. A decent pair of 300bs is about $800 (EML), plus $200 for good NOS 6SN7s, then another $200-320 for the rectifiers. And that’s not the top of the line 300bs either but really just good mid level. I think the amp is the cheapest part!

I’ve been stock piling tubes for my soon to arrive Leben 600, and even four top end Winged C EL34s are only under $300. With the Leben, the amp is the most expensive part. Gold Lion KT77s are but $50, the line stage tubes are less, and the rectifier NOS tubes are all of $7! For the price of one pair of EML 300bs, I got three sets of 4 matched EL34/KT77s, a full quartet of line stage tubes, and four rectifiers.

I’m done with the Gold Lion 300bs though. 2 out of 3 bad tubes at $145 a pop is not my idea of fun.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #41,092 of 42,299
Yeah, there’s really no free ride with the WA5. A decent pair of 300bs is about $800 (EML), plus $200 for good NOS 6SN7s, then another $200-320 for the rectifiers. And that’s not the top of the line 300bs either but really just good mid level. I think the amp is the cheapest part!

I’ve been stock piling tubes for my soon to arrive Leben 600, and even four top end Winged C EL34s are only under $300. With the Leben, the amp is the most expensive part. Gold Lion KT77s are but $50, the line stage tubes are less, and the rectifier NOS tubes are all of $7! For the price of one pair of EML 300bs, I got three sets of 4 matched EL34/KT77s, a full quartet of line stage tubes, and four rectifiers.

I’m done with the Gold Lion 300bs though. 2 out of 3 bad tubes at $145 a pop is not my idea of fun.

If you can swing the extra money, the Western Electrics are worth it and you get a 5 year warranty with the tubes.

Dec 20, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #41,093 of 42,299
If you can swing the extra money, the Western Electrics are worth it and you get a 5 year warranty with the tubes.
I agree with Western Electric, but there's a long waiting list for that 300b tube and the ones that I have seen on sale by individuals selling on Ebay and AudiogoN are asking crazy prices. I decided to go the Takatsuki route, there not cheap either but you can get your hands on them faster. so far I have the TA 300b and waiting on a pair of TA 274 for driver tubes I'm using the Hytron 6SN7s

Dec 20, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #41,094 of 42,299
I agree with Western Electric, but there's a long waiting list for that 300b tube and the ones that I have seen on sale by individuals selling on Ebay and AudiogoN are asking crazy prices. I decided to go the Takatsuki route, there not cheap either but you can get your hands on them faster. so far I have the TA 300b and waiting on a pair of TA 274 for driver tubes I'm using the Hytron 6SN7s

Taks have solid reliability and phenomenal sound. Good choice!

Dec 20, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #41,095 of 42,299
I had the exact same issue with my WA22. I live in a older building without 3-prong sockets so if you're in the similar situation, grounding might be the issue. I was able to try the unit at a buddy's place with 3-prong sockets and the hum went away. There is a chance that I could be dealing with another type of interference but don't know for sure.

I deal with this by using my Diana V2 headphones where the noise is barely audible. With my HD820, the humming and intermittent high pitch blips make the listening experience unbearable unless I'm really drunk.

Hope this helps.
I seem to also have a hum issue with my newly delivered WA22. I upgraded the rectifier tube. The noise seems to be coming from my right driver tube socket because when I fiddle with the tube, the noise lessens. It's not too bad after about 20 minutes and I only notice it during silent passages. Using a 3 to 2 prong adapter lessens the noise a bit but doesn't completely get rid of the noise. I also use an AC conditioner and also tried connecting directly to the wall. No effect on either.

I'm just assuming tube amps are not supposed to be dead quiet like solid state amps. The sound is glorious with my Diana Phi headphones and that's all that matters to me.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #41,096 of 42,299
I seem to also have a hum issue with my newly delivered WA22. I upgraded the rectifier tube. The noise seems to be coming from my right driver tube socket because when I fiddle with the tube, the noise lessens. It's not too bad after about 20 minutes and I only notice it during silent passages. Using a 3 to 2 prong adapter lessens the noise a bit but doesn't completely get rid of the noise. I also use an AC conditioner and also tried connecting directly to the wall. No effect on either.

I'm just assuming tube amps are not supposed to be dead quiet like solid state amps. The sound is glorious with my Diana Phi headphones and that's all that matters to me.

Woo amps should be very quiet. Try an extension cord to a different circuit in the house. The other thing is amp bias. I don't own the WA22. On the WA5 you have bias pots that can eliminate mild hum. They may not be accessible on your amp. It's ground, no question-- but where? It's going to be some trial and error. You could try using the amp as a central ground. Run a wire between your components (a loosen a screw on the chassis of each and fix a wire) and the amp in a star pattern with the Woo at the center of the star. Different things you can try.

Dec 21, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #41,097 of 42,299

Which rectifier tube are you using? I’ve tried the USAF 596 and stock. I had noise with both rectifiers.

Dec 21, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #41,098 of 42,299
Which rectifier tube are you using? I’ve tried the USAF 596 and stock. I had noise with both rectifiers.
The USAF one. I ordered a ground loop hum exterminator. Will report how effective it is.

Dec 21, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #41,099 of 42,299
Woo is getting in to the cable business. Here's my 'first look' at one of their interconnects:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back