Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Nov 1, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #38,956 of 42,299
I will say, having started with the Woo 6SE, then the WA22, and now the WA5, I think Woo has its branding all wrong.

Should be:

WA6= Woo
6SE= Woo!
WA22 = Woot!
WA22 SE = Woot! Woot!
WA5=  Woo Hoo!

Not sure where that leaves the WA234. Maybe 'Wha What?" 

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #38,957 of 42,299
Forgot about the WA3. Maybe that is the "Whazzup?"

Nov 1, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #38,958 of 42,299
Well, I may have spoke to soon.

The recently arrived WA5 is distorting in the right channel. I've swapped tubes and sources left to right, and it wasn't cured. The first time it happened, it took about an hour of warm up and the problem seem to disappear. I get a loud pop when the powering down too, and I also noticed when the amp is on and I am close to the rectifiers, I can hear a "rushing sound". 

I've swapped out different tubes too thinking it was a bad rectifier or 6SN7, but they work fine on the WA22, and swapping didn't cure anything.  

Any ideas? I hate to think this amp has to criss-cross back to Brooklyn for an assessment.

Nov 1, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #38,960 of 42,299
That's it? Just a "welcome"?  You said there'd be t-shirts! (Seriously, how about a tee with a large 300B tube, with "Tube, or not Tube. That is the Question." printed underneath)​.

Jerick, note your old WA22 next door - I still like the sound of this amp with the Sennheiser, and it pairs nicely with the balanced outs from my Sony HAPZ1ES...I may keep it for a basement system, which is saying something since I don't have a basement.

Hard to tell on the Genlecs with just one day, as they need to burn in likely. I'll give it a week and then swap for the Shugang's.

I may need to find some more Brimars or maybe pop for another Sophia Princess to make it a full pair. damn, this amp is an excuse to light money on fire.

Left Side, the EAR is a recent purchase too. I'm sending it out to the EAR factory tech, Mitch Singerman, who swaps the stock caps, diodes, and resistors for premium parts, and it is supposed to make the EAR unbeatable. But I hear nice things about the Alnic too.

To make your welcome better, here is your T-shirt. :grinning: I could only find a WA6 T-shirt though. Welcome!

Nov 1, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #38,961 of 42,299

If it's not tube related and you don't feel like opening it up, sounds like a warranty claim I'm afraid :frowning2:

​I wouldn't know what to look for beyond the obvious signs of "fried electronics". I have some multimeters but I am afraid my diagnostic abilities are limited to basic stuff. So the amps are headed back to Woo. Hopefully the seller will cooperate - he's a previous head-fier it seems, but has not been the most responsive of sellers (not to mention the amps weren't quite as advertised - that's another issue). It's the first time in 15 years I've had a problem with any equipment I've bought online.

But let's see what Woo says - they couldn't diagnose over the phone.

Nov 3, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #38,962 of 42,299

If it's not tube related and you don't feel like opening it up, sounds like a warranty claim I'm afraid :frowning2:

​I wouldn't know what to look for beyond the obvious signs of "fried electronics". I have some multimeters but I am afraid my diagnostic abilities are limited to basic stuff. So the amps are headed back to Woo. Hopefully the seller will cooperate - he's a previous head-fier it seems, but has not been the most responsive of sellers (not to mention the amps weren't quite as advertised - that's another issue). It's the first time in 15 years I've had a problem with any equipment I've bought online.

But let's see what Woo says - they couldn't diagnose over the phone.

I've also had an issue with my amp. It was probably priced right, but it had been opened up, messed with, screw threads stripped, etc. Works fine but not as advertised. I bet that tube amps are just the sort of hobby that people want to tinker with, and doubtful that some people want to advertise their tinkering.

Nov 5, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #38,963 of 42,299
And to post something constructive. 

Haven't had my amp on much with the copper cap, but immensely pleased. I'm now running the WU4GB copper cap in my WA6. It sounds better than it ever has, I think. It gives up very little, and the driver/power tubes do enough to colour the sound.

Music seems to have a bit of a fresh breath of air. If you have a WA6, I think I can say that for certain, you need to get a copper cap. It will sound better than basically anything other rectifier, and one would think that it would extend the life of your precious driver/power tubes, whatever they may be.

Listening to Kubelik's version of Dvorak 7, I'll put it below in case any of you are interested. It is the sole interpretation of Dvorak 7 that I think makes sense, of the symphony that might just be Dvorak's best piece of work. The trilogy of 7, 8 and 9 is much like the great movie trilogies. The first is the best, but the second has so much emotion that you fall in love with it, and the third just blows you away. So for a time you're stuck saying 8 or 9 is best, but eventually, you return to the 7th, which has that sort of timeless charm.

Nov 8, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #38,964 of 42,299
Im playing from my computer - > 3.5mm to L/R RCA. -> WA7 -> headphones. When would I need to use usb cable ? For the DAC? So I should be using a usb cable correct?

Nov 8, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #38,965 of 42,299
  Im playing from my computer - > 3.5mm to L/R RCA. -> WA7 -> headphones. When would I need to use usb cable ? For the DAC? So I should be using a usb cable correct?

If your playing music from computer (PC or Mac), we highly recommend to use the USB input on WA7. Otherwise, you are not getting the best sound.

Nov 9, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #38,967 of 42,299
Nov 14, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #38,968 of 42,299
Anyone heard the new sophia electric 300b classic or the new aqua 274b? 

Nov 14, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #38,969 of 42,299

My mate Tony got a set of the 300B. They blew up. He sent them back and they replaced. They blew up again so they went in the bin. They last 2 days at a time.

He said when they weren't blowing up they sounded average.

He's now running the Tak 300B's with no issues.

I wouldn't put a Chinese tube in my amp. They have a bad reliability history.

Nov 14, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #38,970 of 42,299

My mate Tony got a set of the 300B. They blew up. He sent them back and they replaced. They blew up again so they went in the bin. They last 2 days at a time.

He said when they weren't blowing up they sounded average.

He's now running the Tak 300B's with no issues.

I wouldn't put a Chinese tube in my amp. They have a bad reliability history.

Yikes!!!! Mental note, don't buy these tubes.

I've been using the Genalex Gold Lion PX300B with good results in my WA5. Much improved over the stock Psvane tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back