Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 31, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #35,776 of 42,299
Does anyone of you ECC3x instead 6SN7 in WA6 or especially in WA6SE (with Glenn adapters)?

Or do you think that it is technically possible?
I think 3083joe wrote that ecc32 yes, but I can not remember for sure,
so I would like to verify it (I'd like to try some ecc3x in my WA6SE+Glenn 6SN7 adapters) ...
Thank´s

Works perfect in wa6 and wa22 but haven't used in se

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #35,777 of 42,299
To update the thread regarding WA6 buzzing issues discussed a short time back, I've been trying another Elise owner's burnin method which killed the non-stop buzz in the signal tubes. Mind you, it's just one pair of tubes, so it could be an outlier. During the course of the upcoming week I'll be using it with other buzzing tubes and update the post.

In essence, one allows the tubes to heat fully and remain in that state for 15-30 minutes, then let the tubes cool down completely, rinse and repeat. It took ~15 cycles to remove the buzz from the pair I cited.

As promised, to update the post, this method along with a Furutech power cord has eliminated the buzz from every tube I've tried so far.

On a somewhat related note, received 6SN7 adapters today and have been listening since morning. To say the sound is disappointing is an understatement: slow, diffuse, opaque, no weight and slam, very weak lows, virtually non-existent highs, no chest on male vocalists, the impact of a feather. It's a sad state of affairs when a TV anti-oscillation tube kills my best 6SN7s in this circuit, and it only cost $5 a pop. The 6SN7 is the only tube type I've tried in this amp that a GZ34 had no positive effect on. I'm sticking with 6CY7s and a NOS pair of Philips 6FD7 fat bottles.

A RCA 6DR7 grey plate is the only tube I've found that makes the Brimar 5Z4GY sound half-way decent. In terms of clarity, detail, and dynamics with realistic timbre a #83V rectifier kills it. Hell, a CRC 5V4G actually brings most of the applicable frequencies to the table with power and scale behind them. A third the cost of the Brimar. Yea, the Brimar has a highly dimensional and spacious midrange, but that's it. Nothing else to offer. At least it's not as dreadful sounding as 6SN7s in this amp. I'm not thrilled after spending the money, waiting, only to be met with disappointment. Forgive me for being cynical, something tells me that some of folks recommending these tubes may not have heard them.

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #35,778 of 42,299
As promised, to update the post, this method along with a Furutech power cord has eliminated the buzz from every tube I've tried so far.

On a somewhat related note, received 6SN7 adapters today and have been listening since morning. To say the sound is disappointing is an understatement: slow, diffuse, opaque, no weight and slam, very weak lows, virtually non-existent highs, no chest on male vocalists, the impact of a feather. It's a sad state of affairs when a TV anti-oscillation tube kills my best 6SN7s in this circuit, and it only cost $5 a pop. The 6SN7 is the only tube type I've tried in this amp that a GZ34 had no positive effect on. I'm sticking with 6CY7s and a NOS pair of Philips 6FD7 fat bottles.

A RCA 6DR7 grey plate is the only tube I've found that makes the Brimar 5Z4GY sound half-way decent. In terms of clarity, detail, and dynamics with realistic timbre a #83V rectifier kills it. Hell, a CRC 5V4G actually brings most of the applicable frequencies to the table with power and scale behind them. A third the cost of the Brimar. Yea, the Brimar has a highly dimensional and spacious midrange, but that's it. Nothing else to offer. At least it's not as dreadful sounding as 6SN7s in this amp. I'm not thrilled after spending the money, waiting, only to be met with disappointment. Forgive me for being cynical, something tells me that some of folks recommending these tubes may not have heard them.

Wholey crap. That is harsh. Especially the last remark.

If I haven't heard the tubes then why do I have sooooooooo many of them???

The Brimar 5Z4GY is a wonderful tube. Nothing to offer? Are you kidding? What about the clean deep bass. So holographic. All at a fraction of the price of other top tubes.

6SN7 is another story. Do you not know how many 6SN7 type tubes there are? Stacks. All are not created equal. What were you using? I've also found the 6F type to be superior to the 6SN7 type.

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #35,779 of 42,299
The Brimar 5Z4GY is a wonderful tube. Nothing to offer? Are you kidding? What about the clean deep bass. So holographic. All at a fraction of the price of other top tubes.

I know you like this tube and I wasn't trying to offend you or anyone else. Yes, the mids are holographic, as I said. What deep bass? There is none, perhaps a hint that tapers down before the lowest octave. Certainly no power or weight to it. No real dynamics, no articulation, diffuse presentation with little focus. This does not describe a fine tube, but a highly limited one. I bought it due to the hype. My own mistake that I take full responsibility for.

6SN7 is another story. Do you not know how many 6SN7 type tubes there are? Stacks. All are not created equal. What were you using? I've also found the 6F type to be superior to the 6SN7 type.

Two of my other amps use 6SN7 drivers and I'm well aware of the constraints at hand. I prefer CBS GTs and Tung-Sol black plates, mostly, though I have a decent selection of other bottles, as well.
:)

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #35,780 of 42,299
I have been running the same setup for a little while now and absolutely love the sound.  The c3g tubes have the least bloom of the driver tubes I've tried, which I prefer.

Also where can I get some of those cool discs which dampen the tube?

Here is a pic of my amp.

[/quote
Those are Duende Criatura tube dampers. You can find them at tubedepot.com

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Nov 1, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #35,781 of 42,299
I know you like this tube and I wasn't trying to offend you or anyone else. Yes, the mids are holographic, as I said. What deep bass? There is none, perhaps a hint that tapers down before the lowest octave. Certainly no power or weight to it. No real dynamics, no articulation, diffuse presentation with little focus. This does not describe a fine tube, but a highly limited one. I bought it due to the hype. My own mistake that I take full responsibility for.
Two of my other amps use 6SN7 drivers and I'm well aware of the constraints at hand. I prefer CBS GTs and Tung-Sol black plates, mostly, though I have a decent selection of other bottles, as well.
:)

We are hearing different things from the Brimar 5Z4GY. When I heard it for the first time. I rejoysed about the bass. Certainly a lot more than the Mullard GZ32 I was using a lot at the time. A highly recommend far more expensive tube. I also liked the Brimars dynamics. So we are hearing different things. That happens a lot tho. The WA22 often gets comments about being bass lean. To my ears I couldn't handle more. It throws out stacks of bass. I just put it down to other things such as DAC's and HP's that makes the difference.

Tung-Sol black plates. Is that the round plate or flat plate. They are two different beasts.
I don't know the CBS GTs.

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #35,783 of 42,299
In other news, on the lower end of the Woo spectrum...

New tubes arrived yesterday: 6N23p Matched REFLECTOR Single-Wire Silver Shield '74 ... let the burn-in begin. These came highly recommended (both tubes and seller) by @ru4music and after reading his tube rolling thread and the glowing recommendation for these babies, I am eager to be "blown away". I love the little <CCCP> stencil on the tubes.

Nov 2, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #35,784 of 42,299
We are hearing different things from the Brimar 5Z4GY. When I heard it for the first time. I rejoysed about the bass. Certainly a lot more than the Mullard GZ32 I was using a lot at the time. A highly recommend far more expensive tube. I also liked the Brimars dynamics. So we are hearing different things. That happens a lot tho. The WA22 often gets comments about being bass lean. To my ears I couldn't handle more. It throws out stacks of bass. I just put it down to other things such as DAC's and HP's that makes the difference.

Tung-Sol black plates. Is that the round plate or flat plate. They are two different beasts.
I don't know the CBS GTs.

lol, WA22's bass lean?  not in my experience and cheap chain.  My HD800(also rumored to be bass lean
biggrin.gif
) + WA22 vs. HE6 + speaker amp = neck to neck in the low end, just different in presentation, IMO, due to 1 HP is dynamic, the other is ortho.

Nov 2, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #35,785 of 42,299
  In other news, on the lower end of the Woo spectrum...

New tubes arrived yesterday: 6N23p Matched REFLECTOR Single-Wire Silver Shield '74 ... let the burn-in begin. These came highly recommended (both tubes and seller) by @ru4music and after reading his tube rolling thread and the glowing recommendation for these babies, I am eager to be "blown away". I love the little <CCCP> stencil on the tubes.

You should be able to form a (pre)opinion after just a few hours burn-in.  I'm curious to what you think with pairing them with the 421a in your WA3.  Recommend using some of your best recordings and also comparing with other recordings that may have sounded congested with your other driver tubes.

Nov 2, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #35,786 of 42,299
Hey @Badas, have you tried the RCA 6as7GA vs the GE?  I have a pair of the RCA that was shipped with my WA2 and I'm finding they sound rather good with my 6N23P reflectors.

Nov 2, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #35,787 of 42,299
  Hey @Badas, have you tried the RCA 6as7GA vs the GE?  I have a pair of the RCA that was shipped with my WA2 and I'm finding they sound rather good with my 6N23P reflectors.

Yes I have. Remember I'm using on a different amp. The RCA has a tad less treble than the GE. Ever so slightly rolled but with the plus effect of sounding mid-range richer / fuller. Usually I would be all over that. However with the Audeze HP's it was too much. So I've elected to go for more treble. I have about 5 sets of the RCA labelled up with different brands that I have just put away in storage for reference.

This would be the perfect power tube to tame treble with bright drivers or system. I actually have too many sets of RCA 6C8G drivers which are a tad bright. So one day I will experiment with that combo. It should be nice.

Nov 2, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #35,788 of 42,299

Yes I have. Remember I'm using on a different amp. The RCA has a tad less treble than the GE. Ever so slightly rolled but with the plus effect of sounding mid-range richer / fuller. Usually I would be all over that. However with the Audeze HP's it was too much. So I've elected to go for more treble. I have about 5 sets of the RCA labelled up with different brands that I have just put away in storage for reference.

This would be the perfect power tube to tame treble with bright drivers or system. I actually have too many sets of RCA 6C8G drivers which are a tad bright. So one day I will experiment with that combo. It should be nice.

OK, thanks!  I find the RCA 6as7GA's  mid-range to be exceptional (with instruments forward and vocals slightly recessed/ laid back) and treble extension adequate.  The upper-lower to mid bass seems a little rolled off and the sub to bottom-lower bass is good.  I was just wondering if the GE version provided a better upper-lower to mid bass presentation.

Nov 2, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #35,789 of 42,299

OK, thanks!  I find the RCA 6as7GA's  mid-range to be exceptional (with instruments forward and vocals slightly recessed/ laid back) and treble extension adequate.  The upper-lower to mid bass seems a little rolled off and the sub to bottom-lower bass is good.  I was just wondering if the GE version provided a better upper-lower to mid bass presentation.

It's been a little time between using the RCA 6AS7G and I haven't directly compared to the GE6AS7GA (not that we really can with tubes). However if I was going to guess I would say the GE is a little leaner in the mid-range (still very full and definitely in that romantic mid-range tubes) and extends higher in the treble without distortion.

I hope this helps.

Nov 2, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #35,790 of 42,299
I am looking for new tubes to upgrade my stock driver tubes on my Woo WA3.

What pair of affordable (less than $150/pair) driver tubes would add some openness (and clarity) to my HD650? I like their tubey signature (warm, lots of ambience, great bass). But I find them a bit congested.

Current power tube: 7236 Sylvania
Current driver tubes: stock

Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back