Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jun 2, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #30,226 of 42,299
  My gosh, if a builder wants to sell their amps at a premium, then for gosh sakes, sell your amp with premium tubes and make those your stock tubes. Showcase your amp with tubes that make you proud of your design efforts and nothing less.

Lamborghini doesn't outfit their "Lamborghini Huracan," with sub-par wheels on it. Their stock wheels are the car as well. The same should be with amps and their stock tubes.

but that wouldn't encourage you to roll tubes if you already have the best ones. Maybe having a maxed out option when buying would be better.

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #30,227 of 42,299
@ Clayton SF

smiley_thumb.gif
 Absolutely!

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #30,228 of 42,299
  but that wouldn't encourage you to roll tubes if you already have the best ones. Maybe having a maxed out option when buying would be better.

Well there are many great sounding tubes that a builder can make their stock reference tube other the the poor ones that people claim are in their newly-acquired amps. It is after all a subjective call. But the general consensus is that the amps are supplied with poor tubes. I still roll tubes. Right now I'm replaced my Mullard GZ34 with RCA 5Y4G and am happy with the sound (for this evening's Miles Davis session. :wink:

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #30,229 of 42,299
Maybe I'm naive but I didn't mind my stock tubes. Before upgrading tubes I messed with other ways to gain SQ.

It is a little sad when you have the expensive amp with the cheapest tubes known to man? Lol

Woo is just trying to keep retail cost down and still offers tube upgrades upon purchase for those who want to spend.

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #30,230 of 42,299
Maybe I'm naive but I didn't mind my stock tubes. Before upgrading tubes I messed with other ways to gain SQ.

It is a little sad when you have the expensive amp with the cheapest tubes known to man? Lol

Woo is just trying to keep retail cost down and still offers tube upgrades upon purchase for those who want to spend.

I agree.  If you start out with the best (read expensive) tubes, then your product is in a whole different price bracket.  Besides, not everyone wants to fiddle with tubes, believe it or not.  I know, heresy.

Jun 2, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #30,232 of 42,299
Have anyone tried to pair the chord hugo with the wa5 drivng the hd800?
Yes, do tell someone. Inquiring minds would like to know.

Jun 3, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #30,234 of 42,299
They already have that don't they? Every amp listing includes Jacks suggested tube upgrades.

Yea but they are nowhere near the best options. Maybe its not possible to have a stock of "best" tubes for woo audio

Jun 3, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #30,235 of 42,299
  Yea but they are nowhere near the best options. Maybe its not possible to have a stock of "best" tubes for woo audio

Plus, I'm not sure who would decide which tubes are best. The sound signatures that I listen for and prefer are most probably different from yours and one of the really nice things that I've found about the Woo amps is that you can tune them to your own preferences. TS5998 or GEC6AS7G? USAF596 or WE422A? Defends on the mood I'm in and how much Lagavulin is left. Perhaps the best Jack can do is offer a general, all around upgrade and leave it at that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back