Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Nov 1, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #41,341 of 42,299
Hi, I have asked this question in the wa2 thread, but thought it may get some answers here as well.

I have just bought wa2 (4 years old, with preamp and the preamp switch at the back). The seller says wa2 has no upgrades. I will have the amp next week but as i would like wa2 to be my ultimate amp i wonder if to make any upgrades.

For now i see it may be worth to change output caps. I see wa2 has teflon wiring. Would it make sense to change into copper? Has anybody tried this? Any more upgrades that may be worth going?

Many thanks for any thoughts/experiences.

Nov 1, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #41,343 of 42,299
Hi, I have asked this question in the wa2 thread, but thought it may get some answers here as well.

I have just bought wa2 (4 years old, with preamp and the preamp switch at the back). The seller says wa2 has no upgrades. I will have the amp next week but as i would like wa2 to be my ultimate amp i wonder if to make any upgrades.

For now i see it may be worth to change output caps. I see wa2 has teflon wiring. Would it make sense to change into copper? Has anybody tried this? Any more upgrades that may be worth going?

I do believe the Teflon refers to the insulation on the wire. The wire itself is probably copper. If you’ve got money to burn you could replace the wire with something else, but you would be spending a lot of money and it’s probably not worth it. The WA2 is a great amp, but if you want to heavily customize it you’re probably going to see a bigger improvement and spend less by just buying a different amp that already has the parts you want.

Nov 1, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #41,344 of 42,299
Do listen to it stock before deciding if it is worth to spend extras on changing parts. The wa2 unfortunately was not the ultimate amp for me. Owned one ages ago but have since move on to other amps.
Thanks, could You tell why You moved to other amps? I have heard a few including some quite expensive transformer coupled ones, but really appreciate wa3 i have now. I understand wa2 is direct improvement.

Nov 1, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #41,345 of 42,299
I do believe the Teflon refers to the insulation on the wire. The wire itself is probably copper. If you’ve got money to burn you could replace the wire with something else, but you would be spending a lot of money and it’s probably not worth it. The WA2 is a great amp, but if you want to heavily customize it you’re probably going to see a bigger improvement and spend less by just buying a different amp that already has the parts you want.
Thanks, very helpful.

That teflon surprised me to be frank, maybe i misunderstood.

I do not want to make unreasonable changes obviously. Frankly, having heard a few amps i really want to go for an OTL one. There is something in its sound i like. I have bought Wa3 just to try and i am amused by how it sounds with ZMF verite open. This is why i have decided to go for wa2 now.

Do You have something in mind by suggesting other amps? I have done a search and wa2 seems one of the top OTL amps available.

Nov 1, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #41,346 of 42,299

Howdy Amigo!

I had a Woo WA-22 ( 1st. Edition. ) and or Unfortunately I began to Collect "Legendary" Tung-sol Vacuum tubes from the United States Army , Navy and Air forces . ( N.O.S. including (3) Tung-sol 6F8G's from the U.S. Navy Issued in 1942 N.O.S ! ) (2 ) Woo Audio Matched Pair of 5998's also by Tung-sol around 1952? and a Beautiful Haltron ( ? ) NOS Devil's Horns Rectifier! And some others that I can't remember right now!

To get to the POINT:

I have ZERO use for these tubes. WE all are fully aware that the exact same pair of Matched NOS 5998's from Woo are currently about $1,000.00 Bucks a pair!
The ( 3 ) 6F8G's around $600.00 ? Grey Glass Types.

I am very willing to release these to a deserving , yet not underbidding typical Audiophile lowballing Snob!

If I just happen to Like You and your On-line persona you NEVER know! I and WE all realize that these tubes go up faster than GOLD and GOD knows that I should just keep them in there Air Tight and Moisture Proof Cigar ( Xikar ? Humidors with Anti-Humidity Granules ! ) They are awesome for Tube storage and could be included !

Be Well,

Ramiro Guerrero

PS- There doesn't exist a very ample market down here! Oh yes, Did I forget to mention that you can Touch , feel and TEST your TUBES out all you want with A ZERO "Buyer's" Commitment on your part and you don't have to send me a DIME ! Unless it's worth a Butt-load for a Dime!

Nov 2, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #41,347 of 42,299
Howdy Amigo!

I had a Woo WA-22 ( 1st. Edition. ) and or Unfortunately I began to Collect "Legendary" Tung-sol Vacuum tubes from the United States Army , Navy and Air forces . ( N.O.S. including (3) Tung-sol 6F8G's from the U.S. Navy Issued in 1942 N.O.S ! ) (2 ) Woo Audio Matched Pair of 5998's also by Tung-sol around 1952? and a Beautiful Haltron ( ? ) NOS Devil's Horns Rectifier! And some others that I can't remember right now!

To get to the POINT:

I have ZERO use for these tubes. WE all are fully aware that the exact same pair of Matched NOS 5998's from Woo are currently about $1,000.00 Bucks a pair!
The ( 3 ) 6F8G's around $600.00 ? Grey Glass Types.

I am very willing to release these to a deserving , yet not underbidding typical Audiophile lowballing Snob!

If I just happen to Like You and your On-line persona you NEVER know! I and WE all realize that these tubes go up faster than GOLD and GOD knows that I should just keep them in there Air Tight and Moisture Proof Cigar ( Xikar ? Humidors with Anti-Humidity Granules ! ) They are awesome for Tube storage and could be included !

Be Well,

Ramiro Guerrero

PS- There doesn't exist a very ample market down here! Oh yes, Did I forget to mention that you can Touch , feel and TEST your TUBES out all you want with A ZERO "Buyer's" Commitment on your part and you don't have to send me a DIME ! Unless it's worth a Butt-load for a Dime!
Tube prices are going crazy and, unless good new production starts, this will ultimately lead to the end of such amps like wa2, 22, feliks euforia and many others.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #41,348 of 42,299
Thanks, could You tell why You moved to other amps? I have heard a few including some quite expensive transformer coupled ones, but really appreciate wa3 i have now. I understand wa2 is direct improvement.
Technically I find it lacking when compared to some transformer coupled amp I've heard at that time. To be fair the amps I've heard are more expensive and if I've not heard better I'd probably still keep it. After using it for a period of time I also find it too warm and lush for me so could be sign of my taste changing. Doesn't help that some of the more popular tubes are getting more expensive and harder to find. If you like the wa3 than you'll likely enjoy this amp as well.

Nov 2, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #41,349 of 42,299
I also find it too warm and lush for me so could be sign of my taste changing. Doesn't help that some of the more popular tubes are getting more expensive and harder to find. If you like the wa3 than you'll likely enjoy this amp as well.
Thanks, that explains all to me:) I am looking for warm and lush sound. Already have some tubes as well:) Just waiting for wa2 itself (will get it on Friday probably). Apart from the sound it looks wonderful.

Nov 3, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #41,350 of 42,299
Thanks, very helpful.

That teflon surprised me to be frank, maybe i misunderstood.

I do not want to make unreasonable changes obviously. Frankly, having heard a few amps i really want to go for an OTL one. There is something in its sound i like. I have bought Wa3 just to try and i am amused by how it sounds with ZMF verite open. This is why i have decided to go for wa2 now.

Do You have something in mind by suggesting other amps? I have done a search and wa2 seems one of the top OTL amps available.
I’m not really an OTL enthusiast so I can’t help you there (like a bit of dryness I guess). There are a few legendary ones I’ve heard of but haven’t heard so can’t comment.

My tastes run to transformer coupled amps, of which I think the WA6-SE is way better than is generally recognized.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #41,351 of 42,299
I’m not really an OTL enthusiast so I can’t help you there (like a bit of dryness I guess). There are a few legendary ones I’ve heard of but haven’t heard so can’t comment.

My tastes run to transformer coupled amps, of which I think the WA6-SE is way better than is generally recognized.
I used to have wa6se and liked it as well. It is very indicative for me what You wrote that You like a bit of dryness. This is something I do not like too much:) Although wa6 seemed moderate with this regard as I remember (had different headphones then though). At the same time this is very helpful in determining which way to go and why You prefer solid and I should look at OTL.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #41,352 of 42,299
Thanks, that explains all to me:) I am looking for warm and lush sound. Already have some tubes as well:) Just waiting for wa2 itself (will get it on Friday probably). Apart from the sound it looks wonderful.
In nutshell the wa2 is a silky smooth amp and is best suited to high impedance hps. It’s great with my hd800 - i consider those two as one unit.
imho

Nov 3, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #41,354 of 42,299
Tube prices are going crazy and, unless good new production starts, this will ultimately lead to the end of such amps like wa2, 22, feliks euforia and many others.
There are still mountains of cold war era Russian and Chinese tubes.

Nov 3, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #41,355 of 42,299
There are still mountains of cold war era Russian and Chinese tubes.

If those tubes work for you you’re in good shape. For me though I don’t think I’d be happy with my WA22 if I couldn’t use NOS European and US tubes. Fortunately I’ve got a pretty good hoard supply of the tubes I really like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back