1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by dannie01, Jun 9, 2009.
  1. filip sebastian
    My setup: Woo Audio WA6 and Musical Fidelity M1 HPA.
    [​IMG]
    WA6 tubes: Mullard GZ32 and 2x 6DR7 Samsung. Cd player/dac: Ayon Cd 7's.
    Musical Fidelity M1 HPA and Peachtree DAC iTX.
    Headphones: Beyerdynamic T1 and AKG K500.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  2. astrostar59
    Top-group.jpg Tube-group.jpg Header-Product-Page-Genus-updated.jpg

WA234 alternative?

I have ordered this big SET amplifier from Aries Cerat, mainly for my speakers use. BUT it has a high and low impedance headphone out directly from the output stage. The amp has a true 25 watts Class A SET output, with 40 watt peaks in AB mode. I have owned SET before, 300B MBs mainly, and this beast is something else. I'll post later when it arrives with impressions. I will use it on my LCD4s.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Deftone and llamaluv like this.
  3. Deftone
    That thing is an absolute monster

4. Zhanming057
    [​IMG]

WA5 and Mysphere 3.2 :)

Mikey99, pavi, Matro5 and 3 others like this.
  5. I only have one question I can't read 2600 pages for: WA3 or WA6 for HD600/650/800S. Thanks.

6. Krutsch
    WA3. No question.

7. Odin412
    Agreed. The WA3/HD650 combo is fabulous.

8. UMN
    I have both HD650 and HDxx. They both sound great with my WA6, first generation. I never tried a WA3 . For what it's worth see Tone Audio's Volume 8 article where they prefer the WA6 over the WA3 for the HD650. http://www.tonepublications.com/MAGPDF/TA_008.pdf

Deftone likes this.
  9. Deftone
    WA6 is supposedly faster and more dynamic.

10. Krutsch
    I would read that review with a grain of salt. He says that with Grados, the WA3+ is a match made in heaven. Hmmm... not my experience. My Grado RS2i (same impedance characteristics) drive quickly into very audible distortion with the WA3.

I've listened to both (6 and 3) with the HD-650 and the difference was substantial at higher volumes. The HD-650 is my favorite set of 'phones but, IMO, they do not sound as pleasing at lower volumes.

One other thing to note: the reviewer is testing with stock tubes and the WA3 scales well with power and (slightly less so) with driver tubes upgrades. Lots of posts in this thread on tubes and the WA3.

To cut to the chase on the low-cost end for the drivers, I strongly recommend these:

http://store.t-funk.com/p/e88cc-tk-6922-vacuum-tube/vacuum-tubes?pp=25

They sound fantastic, have great clarity and imaging compared to many of my other driver tubes. New they are about $50 US each, as I recall.

if you want to spend more money, my other favorites are Siemens CCa (NOS), Siemens E288CC (NOS - mine are re-branded as Philips) or Telefunken E188CC (NOS); all are WAY more expensive on eBay. I have a pile of tubes (see my profile), but these are the ones I rotate between.

For the power tubes, that one is harder:
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/woo-audio-amp-owner-unite.428570/page-2676#post-14056035

Enjoy the journey... if you are a fan of the HD-650, you will love the pairing with the WA3.

Deftone likes this.
  11. Deftone
    How do you feel that the WA3 is better than WA6SE for 650?

12. reeltime
    I just got a notice pre-orders for the new Western Electric 300B begin January 11. Who's interested?

13. JLoud
    I will wait to hear reviews. But am definitely interested. I am running EML 300b now. And they are very nice.

14. davehg
    Personally, I feel the WA22 is the best match for the HD650. Using balanced source and in balanced output mode.

15. SilverEars
    This is so odd to me. People say the same for Bottlehead crack which is also OTL.

Does it warm up the sound more? I expect OTL to loosen the sound, but I don't know if I'd enjoy it. I have a solid-state that drives it super well doing the opposite of loose, tightening the sound, getting rid of much of that loose warmth which I prefer.

Wouldn't OTL slow the respons? My solid-state actually contols the drivers rapidly, and I think it goes hand in hand with what I said about tightening the sound or dampening it.

What do these OTL do to the 650 to be preferred? What about the other 300 ohms, 600/800?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019