woo audio 5 wa5 vs zana deux anyone?
Nov 14, 2008 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Anouk

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello, I wonder if anyone has ever heard the wa5 and the zana deux and was able to compare them? I know that the wa5 is costlier then the zana deux and that it has a special output for the k1000 but they are both set-designs.
Or maybe someone has heard another woo audio amp vs the deux. I know this is not like a battle, but i would be interested in their different sound signature.
I would really like to try tube someday (not immediately though, my wallet is empty, especially since i would have to buy a dac as well).
I read that the wa5 has a speaker amp, so not just a preamp, i wonder if woo can change such things? Since I already have a primare speaker amp that drives my audio phisics pretty well!
thanks in advance,
Greetings, Anouk,

Nov 15, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 10
I've not heard them, but the Zana Deux is OTL whereas the WA5 is transformer-coupled. So I would expect that the Zana would have a sound signature more similar to a maxed WA2 than to the WA5. As far as how they compare in sound "quality," unfortunately I can't help you.

Nov 15, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it true that SET is 'better'then otl?

Both amps in question are SET.
Both amps drive the load off of the plate of the tube (as opposed to a cathode follower, or other futerman circuit)
One uses a transformer and no global feedback, the other is OTL with output impedance reduced by the application of lots of global feedback.

Anyways.
We held a meet a while ago. the amp at the meet was one of the first fully built woo-5's. There have apparently been some changes since then that make the woo5 less tube dependent.
mini-meet.

Nov 15, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 10
Anouk - Jack is usually open to any customization, so I am sure he could fill your requirements. As to the sound signatures, I'd say the WA5 will likely have a more euphonic, lucid, three dimensional sound due to the 300B output tubes. The ZD uses the 6C33C which I find are more SS in nature - great bass control, open and dynamic midrange, HF leaning toward neutral (or even a little cool).

Note - the above are based on hearing other amps with similar tube combos. I have not heard either in person.

Nov 16, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello another question for you tubeguys: I know that the woo products do have auto-bias which I suppose means that you can put in other tubes without changing anything about the voltage. Does the zana have this feature as well?
Thanks in advance,
Greetings, Anouk,

Yes no bias adjustment on the ZD needed.

Nov 16, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #10 of 10
Isn't it really a fixed bias system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back