Woo Audio 234 MONO monoblock amplifier official release
Sep 14, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #46 of 122

Since monobloc amplifiers are typically situated as close to the speaker as possible, the traditional headphone cable won't really work. 

People could just run a standard xlr patch cable on each side as extensions. No need for some silly specially made 10 ft long headphone cable.

Sep 14, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #47 of 122
  Monoblocks for headphones just makes no sense to me.  You have to adjust the volume in both channels exactly the same which will get old quick.  Steppers would make this less of a chore.  Also, I don't see any advantage in doing this.  The classic 2 chassis headphone amp setup makes much more sense since you're separating the amp circuit from the (much nosier) power supply, instead of separating channels and having a power supply in the same chassis as the amp circuit.  This also requires an extra power cord and outlet in the process.

The silver looks much better than the black one.

It's called a preamp. Problem solved. 

Remember, these seem to primarily be speaker amps with compatibility for headphones as well. As you would control most sets of monoblocks, a preamp is a must. Set your preamp to max volume, and then set your monoblocks to the highest volume you would ever want to listen to and leave them there. After that, just use your preamp for volume control. At this price point, if you can afford this, you can afford a high end preamp to go with them.

Sep 14, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #48 of 122
well said

Sep 14, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #49 of 122
Thank you for all the feedback so far. They are both helpful and encouraging. This project has been in a 3-year making process. Since the prototype, we have gone through many circuit enhancements, finalized parts selection (all top grade audio parts), and solved the noise problems. Proudly to say, the noise level is virtually not audible among the 3 types of power tubes.

This is a collector's item. There is no limit to sound. Tube rolling options are countless. You will be sure to find the right combination of tubes for your taste. The 234 MONO is our statement product. It is ABSOLUTELY the best performance amp we have ever built.

At the moment, the website is still showing the prototype unit which can cause confusion. We ask you for your patience while the the information unfold.

Finally, here is the photo book for your enjoyment.

http://www.adoramapix.com/app/showbook/jack_60/book/234-MONO/

Best,
Jack.

Sep 14, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #50 of 122

Remember, these seem to primarily be speaker amps with compatibility for headphones as well. As you would control most sets of monoblocks, a preamp is a must. Set your preamp to max volume, and then set your monoblocks to the highest volume you would ever want to listen to and leave them there. After that, just use your preamp for volume control. At this price point, if you can afford this, you can afford a high end preamp to go with them.

Or maybe...

Just plain silly for headphone listening and an extra unneeded circuit for speakers.

Sep 14, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #51 of 122

I'm aware of preamps and how they work, but given the volume knobs on the front that doesn't seem the manufacturer's intent.  You don't see monoblocks with volume control often.  If I owned these I'd probably get a source that can control the volume digitally and leave the pots at max.

Sep 14, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #53 of 122
  Thank you for all the feedback so far. They are both helpful and encouraging. This project has been in a 3-year making process. Since the prototype, we have gone through many circuit enhancements, finalized parts selection (all top grade audio parts), and solved the noise problems. Proudly to say, the noise level is virtually not audible among the 3 types of power tubes.

This is a collector's item. There is no limit to sound. Tube rolling options are countless. You will be sure to find the right combination of tubes for your taste. The 234 MONO is our statement product. It is ABSOLUTELY the best performance amp we have ever built.

At the moment, the website is still showing the prototype unit which can cause confusion. We ask you for your patience while the the information unfold.

Finally, here is the photo book for your enjoyment.

http://www.adoramapix.com/app/showbook/jack_60/book/234-MONO/

Best,
Jack.

Thanks for the great pictures Jack. 

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #54 of 122
Sep 15, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #56 of 122
These are expensive, but in the high end realm of audio, not out of line with many products.   I am a very happy WA 22 owner, a big Woo fan.  I hope I win the lottery someday, so I could try them out.

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #59 of 122

Congratulations! I wonder if you could do a comparison against other totl amps? May be LAu, Pinnacle, Studio 6, and the like. That would be like awesome.

remove LAu from list, add GSX MK2. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back