Woo Audio 22 vs DNA Stratus vs Cavalli Liquid Fire
May 5, 2013 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Pustik

100+ Head-Fier
I'm wondering which one in the long run will be fun to have? Woo Audio and DNA Stratus have much flexibility, you could try many tubes, play around to find your own sound. Or and this is more philosophical question would you want to settle down for something as cavalli liquid fire where amp has perfect sound(assuming you heard it and liked the sound).

Last question, do you not set yourself up when you are buying tube amp because you would be so eager to try other tubes that you will end up spending endlessly?

Right now I'm having to chose between LF and Woo Audio 22 or DNA Stratus. Help me understand what will I miss if I will go with LF.

Thanks.

May 5, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 25
what headphones, i think it depends on which headphones you'd be using? if its hd 800 check out this thread  http://www.head-fi.org/t/629322/hd800-1-000-2-500-amp-sonic-bliss

if i had to choose, without ever hearing either amp, i would choose the stratus (looks very well designed and is definitely an endgame tube amp) 
biggrin.gif
 or the liquid fire for the looks.

it'd be a harder choice if you made it LF vs Stratus vs. WA5-LE

when it comes to tube rolling, the WA22 offers the most tube rolling. the Stratus is probably most expensive to tube roll (the 2A3's aren't cheap), and the Liquid Fire has 6922 tubes to tube roll, which are cheaper (although a quad of CCa's could become very expensive)

May 6, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 25
It's hd 800, so you are saying between these 3 amps woo audio 22 is the worse?

If yes which one would you recommend dna stratus or liquid fire?

May 6, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #4 of 25
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue54/woo.htm

May 6, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 25
May 6, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 25
all 3 are great. the WA22 isn't necessarily worse, i would just go for the stratus myself if i had to pick between these 3. 

May 6, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #7 of 25
I haven't heard the other two but the WA22 is known to perform very well with the HD800. You can fine tune its sound signature more so than with most other amps by rolling tubes, as it's the most euphonic amp in Woo Audio's lineup. I found the tubes used in the review to have great synergy with the HD800.

It's hard to take issue with "The Ultimate Headphone System"
wink_face.gif

May 6, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #8 of 25
all 3 are great. the WA22 isn't necessarily worse, i would just go for the stratus myself if i had to pick between these 3. 

Could you please explain why?

May 6, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #9 of 25
I haven't heard the other two but the WA22 is known to perform very well with the HD800. You can fine tune its sound signature more so than with most other amps by rolling tubes, as it's the most euphonic amp in Woo Audio's lineup. I found the tubes used in the review to have great synergy with the HD800.

It's hard to take issue with "The Ultimate Headphone System" :wink_face:

Thanks for your input, seems like liquid fire is getting no love at all :frowning2:

May 6, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #10 of 25
I would echo that these are all great amps. The WA22 may lean towards the HD800, and the LF reportedly does very well with the LCD2/3. I'm sure the DNA is awesome with both, and can testify that the WA22 does a fine job with the Audeze planars as well. And I've read good reports re the LF with the HD800. So get the one that you think will work the best with your gear, uses the tubes that you will like to roll (or not), and leans toward the sound signature that you prefer.

May 6, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #11 of 25
Could you please explain why?

I cannot. I would just get stratus because ive heard nothing but good things about it and how its super good. Wa22 is great but there are always better amps out there.

May 6, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #12 of 25
I cannot. I would just get stratus because ive heard nothing but good things about it and how its super good. Wa22 is great but there are always better amps out there.

I understand, I just started thread in meets section hoping that there are people that have amps and hd 800 for me to try out before I pull trigger. But I might just buy blindly if I can get a good deal on either of these amps.

May 6, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #13 of 25
I would echo that these are all great amps. The WA22 may lean towards the HD800, and the LF reportedly does very well with the LCD2/3. I'm sure the DNA is awesome with both, and can testify that the WA22 does a fine job with the Audeze planars as well. And I've read good reports re the LF with the HD800. So get the one that you think will work the best with your gear, uses the tubes that you will like to roll (or not), and leans toward the sound signature that you prefer.

Alright, thanks.

May 6, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #14 of 25

What about eddie current 2a3 is it better than the three amps that I've mentioned?

May 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #15 of 25
no idea, though it should be near the same level. its not a very popular amp for some reason, theres the thread for it in the high end forum, seems like other people are wondering how it compares to the stratus, not many people have heard them both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back