Wondering? For those who have a IE7 or IE8, is it worth it owning both?
Jan 22, 2010 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ericp10

Sits up all night comparing IEMs.
Hello fellow Head-fiers. I'm just wondering - as someone who owns and enjoy the IE7 - if there's enough differences in the sound signature of the IE8 to make it worth owning both? Or is the IE8 basically the IE7 with more bass? Of course, I do expect some similar sound with both being Sennheiser's top tier IEMs, but perhaps not??? Help me out fellas (and ladies).

Regards,

EricP

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 7
Less forward mids with the IE8 but better separation and details. Much better treble presentation (recessed with the IE7). Bass impact and soundstage/headstage is also improved. If you really like your mids to be forward like the IE7 don't go for the IE8.

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip N' Burn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Less forward mids with the IE8 but better separation and details. Much better treble presentation (recessed with the IE7). Bass impact and soundstage/headstage is also improved. If you really like your mids to be forward like the IE7 don't go for the IE8.

But are we talking about really really recessed mids @ Rip N' Burn? I love my mids and can take them somewhat recessed, but not like the TF10 where you barely hear the mids IMHO. The mids are there, yes, in the IE8s?

Thanks for your reply..

EricP

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 7
Yeah, definitely not as recessed as the TF10s. I think despite there being a bit of mid recession, it won't really bother you because the IE8 sound is so wide and airy that the mid recession seems like integrated or not that exaggerated/out of place (ok, that was a terrible explanation but the point is, it doesn't sound unnaturally recessed IMO). However, if you like forward mids, then maybe look elsewhere.

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericp10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello fellow Head-fiers. I'm just wondering - as someone who owns and enjoy the IE7 - if there's enough differences in the sound signature of the IE8 to make it worth owning both? Or is the IE8 basically the IE7 with more bass? Of course, I do expect some similar sound with both being Sennheiser's top tier IEMs, but perhaps not??? Help me out fellas (and ladies).

Regards,

EricP

I have both .I really like them both and they do share the same soft silky smooth underlying sound signiture,and large soundstage,but apart from that they are different phones the ie7 has a dryer sounding bass while the ie8s is a warmer wetter sounding bass, the mids on the ie7 are unaturally forward where as the ie8s mids are so much more refined and i dont find them recessed at all and the ie7s treble while quite detailed is quite crude in comarison to the ie8. The ie8 sound changes quite alot depending on what tips you use ,you get a better more open and better spacious sound if you choose a smaller tip,sacraficing a bit of isolation for a much better sound quality.i find having a tight seal cramps the vocals colouring them to much,
the ie7 is a good little iem,but the iem is in a hole different leauge ,so i say yes defo worth getting both although you may not use the ie7 much once you get ie8.
every thing the ie7 can do the ie8 can do better,in my opinion.
beyersmile.png

Jan 23, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #7 of 7
RiP, KSU06 and lucozade: thank you all very much. You each gave me something to consider. It doesn't seem like, base on your observations, that both phones sound exactly the same or even close, which is what I was hoping to ascertain. Thanks again for your observations.

EricP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back