Wondering about RE-400's
Jun 23, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Mine doesn't really measure with those multitude of spikes entirely...  The one at the 10 kHz is strong though...  Rin's system should be more accurate than my cheap DIY coupler though. 

Are you using the same insertion depths? He says it varies, but it doesn't look like it's by much.

I'm looking at his graph of the uncompensated response which is more similar to what happens at the eardrum. There isn't a peak at 6kHz per se but it drops off sharply by almost 10 dB which I'm afraid is going to result in masking of everything up to 10kHz where the next spike is. 

How does the treble sound to you?

Jun 23, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Are you using the same insertion depths? He says it varies, but it doesn't look like it's by much.

I'm looking at his graph of the uncompensated response which is more similar to what happens at the eardrum. There isn't a peak at 6kHz per se but it drops off sharply by almost 10 dB which I'm afraid is going to result in masking of everything up to 10kHz where the next spike is. 

How does the treble sound to you?

My uncompensated graphs are grey, and have a roll off in the bass (I compensate for that in the colored graphs).  The treble sounds fine to my ears with the RE-400.  Depending on person, they may or may not find them a tad sibilant though. 

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #18 of 23
I loved the sound of the RE400s until the left speaker died on me. The same thing happened to me when I had the RE-0. I guess I've just had bad luck with Hifiman IEMs, but if they were more durable they would be my go-to IEMs for sure.

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:
I loved the sound of the RE400s until the left speaker died on me. The same thing happened to me when I had the RE-0. I guess I've just had bad luck with Hifiman IEMs, but if they were more durable they would be my go-to IEMs for sure.

I think it's a common problem, which is why I have not bought the RE400 so far.

Jun 23, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #20 of 23
I can't speak to any others which is why I commented on only the RE0's. I had two pairs within a month where one of the drivers stopped functioning. I recently bought a third pair when they were liquidating stock on amazon for 50 US. After buyers remorse I sold them here on the forums.

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:
I've been looking at the HiFiMan RE-400 earphones as an option for entry-level audiophile earphones, and I was wondering what you all thought of them? They seem like amazing headphones, and for only $100 at that. Would they be good for listening to classic rock?

Yep....just get them....

Jun 23, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm considering to buy the RE-400 (after my RE-ZERO had channel imbalance issues). What's cable kink? 

When a cable can get stuck in a bend or kink due to the material. I don't find it an issue. I rather like the cable, actually. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back