Wondering about how to fix Power-Tube humming
Aug 20, 2022 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

InsanelyConfused

New Head-Fier
Hey people,

I googled for a bit but I only found threads that go about how to remove pre-amp tube humming. If there already is a post that discusses this topic that provides solutions feel free to point me there so I can delete this one :)

Now for my little issue: I own the Xduoo TA-26 which came with dead silent tubes, no humming or anything and all 6SN7 tube I rolled didn't hum either. Sadly the stock power tube was microphonic, that's why I replaced it with a RCA 6080 power tube. While that new tube is working fine it's slightly humming when the device is running. The hum doesn't get quiter or louder depending on volume level, it's just a baseline hum that is always there. It is super quiet and not noticeable when listening to music, but I am just wondering what this is, if this can be removed and if yes, how?

I already cleaned the pins properly with rubbing alcohol and before I did that I brushed them with a brass brush, read about that on another post, but it sadly didn't change anything.

Is there anything else I could do? How would I go about burn in? I think this tube is a new old stock tube. Do I just leave the amp on and do I have to play music while doing so? I would probably do the burn in process with another pre-amp tube installed so my main tube doesn't get any unnecessary usage.

Thanks in advance for any help and have a great day! :)

Aug 29, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 4
If you found info on pre-amp tube humming most of that would be directly applicable to this but if it is just the tube it could very well just be the tube.

Although you may not have seen anything about red-plating? Does the light from the tube seem the same as your other one?

But really some tubes produce more noise than others, the tube could be bad or just worn out.

Different amps have different levels of hum that are more or less present with different tubes, and some tubes have different levels of noise than others.

Maybe not helpful but unless there is another issue it’s either a ground loop or fluorescent lights/dimmer switch or probably just the tube…

Aug 30, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #3 of 4
Perhaps a tube jacket would help or at least dampen the noise a bit.

But it's probably just a bad tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back