Wolfson DAC smart phones
May 22, 2013 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

rantrile

100+ Head-Fier
What mid-budget smart phones have Wolfson DAC?
Preferably fully enabled, so no need to root or install voodoo or whatever else that requires time investment.

Thank you

May 24, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #3 of 15
Hehe, could you please make some discussion?
What is the nearest phone to what I'm asking for? That is a Wolfson's DAC containing smart phone that requires as less time as possible to fully activate it. And, if no midbudget such phones exists, let's not consider the price issue at all.

May 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #4 of 15
Only Exynos SoCs have Wolfson DAC. This means global version of S3 and S4 or Galaxy Note 2. If you are looking for cheap Wolfson android you should get Galaxy S, the first one. It actually had the better Wolfson than Exynos 4, confirmed by Supercurio. New Exynos 5 Octa that would be in the global version of S4 is supposed to be the best Wolfson for smartphones, also confirmed by Supercurio.

May 25, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #5 of 15
Interesting. So there are very few phones that have got Wolfson DAC?

And what is the the point of them not being fully enabled, that you have to install voodoo, root them, things I have no idea about. Like what is the meaning to root it? Or custom something. Would be the same situation for S4 global?

And, another question, if to compare sound quality of S4 global to HTC One, what's your opinion please? (For using with SoundMagic E10 if that matters).

May 28, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #6 of 15
Interesting. So there are very few phones that have got Wolfson DAC?

And what is the the point of them not being fully enabled, that you have to install voodoo, root them, things I have no idea about. Like what is the meaning to root it? Or custom something. Would be the same situation for S4 global?

And, another question, if to compare sound quality of S4 global to HTC One, what's your opinion please? (For using with SoundMagic E10 if that matters).

According to GSMarena's audio benchmarking the HTC One has better audio playback than any other phone out right now, but I'd probably go with the S4 Global because of the Wolfson DAC.

May 28, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
HTC One has better audio playback than any other phone out right now.

Lets be a little bit careful with that claim, as last I saw, it has "Beats audio".

Beats isn't just "some bassy EQ when you turn it on", apparently devices with Beats audio are actually tuned to sound "Dull" when the profile is turned OFF. 

The desired effect is to "wow" the user, and for them to think that by activating the "Beats" profile, the sound has become a lot more full, and engaging. They are correct, but maybe not for the right reasons.

May 28, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #8 of 15
HTC One has better audio playback than any other phone out right now.

Lets be a little bit careful with that claim, as last I saw, it has "Beats audio".

Beats isn't just "some bassy EQ when you turn it on", apparently devices with Beats audio are actually tuned to sound "Dull" when the profile is turned OFF. 

The desired effect is to "wow" the user, and for them to think that by activating the "Beats" profile, the sound has become a lot more full, and engaging. They are correct, but maybe not for the right reasons.

Note the edit there mate; I wasn't done typing when I hit submit.

May 28, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
Note the edit there mate; I wasn't done typing when I hit submit.

OH, I'm terribly sorry. I didn't mean for that to be directed at you - especially not in a harsh way.

Originally Posted by Vain III /img/forum/go_quote.gif

but I'd probably go with the S4 Global because of the Wolfson DAC.

This I definitely can agree with! Supercurio does great work with these devices. 

May 28, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
Only Exynos SoCs have Wolfson DAC. This means global version of S3 and S4 or Galaxy Note 2. If you are looking for cheap Wolfson android you should get Galaxy S, the first one. It actually had the better Wolfson than Exynos 4, confirmed by Supercurio. New Exynos 5 Octa that would be in the global version of S4 is supposed to be the best Wolfson for smartphones, also confirmed by Supercurio.

No, this is untrue.

Most (?all) of the Tegra 2 devices did also (LG Optimus 2x, various Moto phones).

Please check facts before posting. Several of those will be much more capable hardware wise than the original Galaxy S.

To the OP: I will look some up for you when I have time and suggest a few.

May 29, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

No, this is untrue.

Most (?all) of the Tegra 2 devices did also (LG Optimus 2x, various Moto phones).

Please check facts before posting. Several of those will be much more capable hardware wise than the original Galaxy S.

To the OP: I will look some up for you when I have time and suggest a few.

I didn't know the Tegra 2 SoC came with Wolfson. I looked up LG Optimus 2x and this one came with the same DAC as the original Galaxy S, WM8994. If OP was just looking for the cheapest Wolfson, the first Galaxy S is still the best option.

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #13 of 15
large scale integration. Probably means the DAC is incorporated into the SOC. Way too much is made of DAC used. Check to see what DACs the latest round of better DAPs are using Cyrus, BB and Sabre. The latest Iphones and touches use cyrus and are better than the older Woflsons. They all make good bits and devices like the Anniversary 3 doesn't even have a separate DAC and sounds great. Don't buy based on what's used, buy based on an audition.

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #14 of 15
well, I didn't buy it based on that (incredible value at sub 265 USD with 1080p IGZO screen, 2GB of ram, snapdragon 600, 32GB of internal storage, sd card support and water resistance without flaps on the USB or headphone sockets; oh, and supports Qi wireless charging). I only found out about this wolfson integration after buying it, so I wanted to check what it means

Users who are viewing this thread

Back