Wolfson DAC confirmed for Galaxy S3!
Jul 28, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #586 of 947
Quote:

Debatable. What about a phone that starts with "i" and is made by a fruit?
wink.gif

I'm an hardcore Apple fan but when it comes to iPhone vs. S3, I don't even looked back for a second. 

Jul 28, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #587 of 947
So what exactly do all of you view as better in the S3? I'm personally an iPhone fan because I've been with the community since it started. Still remember the good ole Super Monkey Ball. 
rolleyes.gif

I feel that the iOS currently has a much more support from developers for it's appstore, though that may change soon. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Has someone compared the sound quality of the two yet?

Jul 28, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #588 of 947
Quote:
Upgraded to the LG8 firmware today - crackles are fixed in that one and the audio output is nicer too. Much smaller difference between S3 and S3+E7 now, I still favour the E7 sound but not enough that I would bother to carry it around for portable use if it weren't also for the headphone amplification. Once Voodoo finally hits seems like should definitely be able to ditch the E7 (whether it'll sound better than the S3+Pico is another matter I guess).

Btw, saw that you got somewhat pwned by Supercurio on Twitter.  :p  He's a character.

Jul 28, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #589 of 947
On a random yet related side note...did anyone else know that google Play music is sampled at 16/48 and 320 kb/s?!? That's awesome!

Kojaku

Jul 28, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #590 of 947
Quote:
Upgraded to the LG8 firmware today - crackles are fixed in that one and the audio output is nicer too. Much smaller difference between S3 and S3+E7 now, I still favour the E7 sound but not enough that I would bother to carry it around for portable use if it weren't also for the headphone amplification. Once Voodoo finally hits seems like should definitely be able to ditch the E7 (whether it'll sound better than the S3+Pico is another matter I guess).

Excuse my ignorance but what on earth is LG8? Is it an official Samsung update? or another one of those xda kernels?

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #591 of 947
Hope I am not out-dated
Just confirmed that S3 works well with both ibasso D-zero and  nuforce HDP
However, the SQ S3 with D-zero is not very.....nice enough,
I would rather stay with S3's Phone-out, which is the best around those phones, IMO
and ADL cruise is also working well with S3, from my friend

Jul 28, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #593 of 947
Quote:

How about the SQ of the S3 + NuForce Icon HDP? What headphones do you use?

Thanks!

The HDP is wall-bound right?

Kojaku

Jul 29, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #594 of 947
Quote:
"I just tried connecting the Pico to the S3 again.  It works!  I have no idea why it didn't before.  There were times when I’d connect the D12 without success too.  It seems you have to connect everything together in the right order.  First connect the cable to the S3.  Then connect the DAC to other end of the cable.

Regarding the engineering at Head Amp: It’s the real deal.  Their products are expensive, but their results are second to none.  I’ve had a Pico for more than 4 years now, and I’ve yet to hear a better 16 bit DAC.  As of now, I’d rate it as the top option for the S3, as it’s smaller and a little better shielded than the D12.  There are a LOT of DAC/amp combos out there now though, and few people have heard enough of them to make a proper comparison.

For those annoyed with the external DAC discussion, let me assure you that the S3, decent DAC chip or not, is not currently a suitable source.  The noise floor with my JH13s is nothing short of abysmal.  It probably sounds Ok with an efficient pair of full size headphones.  I’ll try it out with my LCD2s tonight.

I understand the desire to separate these topics.  Comparing phone headphone jacks is like comparing Honda Fits and VW Golfs.  DAC/amp combos are more like Lamborghinis & Ferraris."
http://www.head-fi.org/t/608535/wolfson-dac-confirmed-for-galaxy-s3/480#post_8539705

Can you, or anyone else that has gotten this combination to work, give a little more detail as to how you got the Pico Dac/Amp working? such as firmware version? and US or international S3? I also have a Pico dac/amp but I cant get it to work with my international S3 on stock, or omega roms, siyah, ninphetamin, or fm kernels. I have tried to plug it in with Pico on/off, Pico cable connected first, otg cable connected first, etc, but no go...just so sad

Jul 29, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #595 of 947
Quote:
"I just tried connecting the Pico to the S3 again.  It works!  I have no idea why it didn't before.  There were times when I’d connect the D12 without success too.  It seems you have to connect everything together in the right order.  First connect the cable to the S3.  Then connect the DAC to other end of the cable.

Regarding the engineering at Head Amp: It’s the real deal.  Their products are expensive, but their results are second to none.  I’ve had a Pico for more than 4 years now, and I’ve yet to hear a better 16 bit DAC.  As of now, I’d rate it as the top option for the S3, as it’s smaller and a little better shielded than the D12.  There are a LOT of DAC/amp combos out there now though, and few people have heard enough of them to make a proper comparison.

For those annoyed with the external DAC discussion, let me assure you that the S3, decent DAC chip or not, is not currently a suitable source.  The noise floor with my JH13s is nothing short of abysmal.  It probably sounds Ok with an efficient pair of full size headphones.  I’ll try it out with my LCD2s tonight.

I understand the desire to separate these topics.  Comparing phone headphone jacks is like comparing Honda Fits and VW Golfs.  DAC/amp combos are more like Lamborghinis & Ferraris."
http://www.head-fi.org/t/608535/wolfson-dac-confirmed-for-galaxy-s3/480#post_8539705

Can you, or anyone else that has gotten this combination to work, give a little more detail as to how you got the Pico Dac/Amp working? such as firmware version? and US or international S3? I also have a Pico dac/amp but I cant get it to work with my international S3 on stock, or omega roms, siyah, ninphetamin, or fm kernels. I have tried to plug it in with Pico on/off, Pico cable connected first, otg cable connected first, etc, but no go...just so sad

I read only the stock kernel version work.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 con Tapatalk 2

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #596 of 947
Quote:

How about the SQ of the S3 + NuForce Icon HDP? What headphones do you use?

Thanks!

It's quite good. Slightly, not very noticeable, better than it was connected to my computer.
so if you wanna know more about this, you can just simply refer to those review of HDP.
P.S. I am using HD600 & UM1 for testing

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #597 of 947
Quote:

I'll be picking up a Galaxy S3, off-contract, so I can better investigate what works and what doesnt work.  But, it sounds like I'll have to decide if I should buy a US version or the international version.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jul 30, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #598 of 947
Quote:

I'll be picking up a Galaxy S3, off-contract, so I can better investigate what works and what doesnt work.  But, it sounds like I'll have to decide if I should buy a US version or the international version.

Big Thanks!

Sounds great that you're investigating this. Im really looking forward to being able to use your dac/amp with it!

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #599 of 947
Quote:

Would you mind if I use the Galaxy S3 with the BHSE
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #600 of 947
Wait so we still aren't ure the Pico DAC/Amp even works? I just bought one specifically for this purpose...can te guy who reported this let us know what's up? I'm getting the US version and I'd like to know if I made a bad choice...

Kojaku

Users who are viewing this thread

Back