Wolfson DAC confirmed for Galaxy S3!
Jul 12, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #467 of 947
Hope this doesn't seem off the subject but consideing that you can use another DAC for the GSIII would this be possible for the HTC One X? I have heard that the DAC for the HTC One X is pretty crappy... I was thinking of a DAC (and AMP) such as the Fiio E7 or E17 for this devise to go with the One X to impove the sound quality. 

I have just got a One X and have also just purchased a Fiio E11 - so wondering if I should return the E11 and go with something with a DAC in it too...

Hopefully im not too confused as just starting out here!
blink.gif

Jul 12, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #468 of 947
As far as I know, the standard USB audio out is not enabled on HTC One X.
The standard USB audio out feature allows to bypass the internal DAC (and the internal amp) of the HTC One X, so that the HTC One X can output its digital audio streams to external DAC like FiiO E7, E11, E17.

You should ask HTC for that.

One of the other ways to let Google and HTC know that is to vote for the Google issue "Enable (standard) USB audio":
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24614&sort=-stars&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20Stars 

Jul 12, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #469 of 947
Danba is correct. The HTC One X cannot do USB audio at all. There are custom kernels that will allow some USB OTG functions (which it lacks on stock software), but none that can do USB audio.

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #470 of 947
Thanks guys - good to know. In your opinon would it still be worth getting the external amp then (Fiio E11)? If all its adding is extra volume, and its not improving the sound due to a bad signal, then I think it might be a waste... 

Also, I found that Google post this morning and voted so at least doing my bit there...
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #471 of 947
Quote:
Thanks guys - good to know. In your opinon would it still be worth getting the external amp then (Fiio E11)? If all its adding is extra volume, and its not improving the sound due to a bad signal, then I think it might be a waste... 

Also, I found that Google post this morning and voted so at least doing my bit there...
tongue_smile.gif

EDIT:  I just realized you're talking about the HTC. In that case its possible that signal is bad.

That is not true, anyone who says that is clearly talking without ever trying it on their own.  If you connect your headphones directly to a smartphone with a good DAC, you will be getting a pure signal from the DAC, but the amplifier in smartphone will be so weak that it wont be able to run the headphones properly, therefore that GOOD signal from DAC will sound bad, because drivers in headphones will not have efficient power fed to them in order to make full use of those signals. BUT, when you use an amp, then internal amp in phone doesn't have to power the headphones, all it does is it acts like a preamp, sort of, and just sends trough a signal from the DAC.  That way, your external amp receives a clean signal, just as it would from a normal standalone DAC or soundcard.

I still can't believe how good my Galaxy S1 sounds when used in pair with an amp, its just so crisp, clean, sound stage is very big and sound is very airy, it sounds like there's a lot of space between sounds. Really good stuff.  Wouldn't mind if my desktop setup sounded that way.

Jul 12, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #472 of 947
So does the SGS3 have a line out?  I can't really read through all the pages.  Seems like there's no need for an aftermarket dac if the wolfson really is that great.  I'd still like to have an aftermarket amp.  How many mw output does the hp jack have?  I'm sure it's like 32/16 ohm output yea?

Jul 12, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #473 of 947
Quote:

EDIT:  I just realized you're talking about the HTC. In that case its possible that signal is bad.

That is not true, anyone who says that is clearly talking without ever trying it on their own.  If you connect your headphones directly to a smartphone with a good DAC, you will be getting a pure signal from the DAC, but the amplifier in smartphone will be so weak that it wont be able to run the headphones properly, therefore that GOOD signal from DAC will sound bad, because drivers in headphones will not have efficient power fed to them in order to make full use of those signals. BUT, when you use an amp, then internal amp in phone doesn't have to power the headphones, all it does is it acts like a preamp, sort of, and just sends trough a signal from the DAC.  That way, your external amp receives a clean signal, just as it would from a normal standalone DAC or soundcard.

I still can't believe how good my Galaxy S1 sounds when used in pair with an amp, its just so crisp, clean, sound stage is very big and sound is very airy, it sounds like there's a lot of space between sounds. Really good stuff.  Wouldn't mind if my desktop setup sounded that way.

I dont think/hope its THAT bad... Going to give the amp a go and hopefullly get the same experience you got from your set up you described.

Thanks for the pearls of wisdom!  

Jul 12, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #474 of 947
Quote:
There are various hacks already out if your rooted...many are incorporated into kernels like Siyah, it can make volume output ridiculously loud, it has DAC direct feature too! 

Voodoo pre release is apparently on the horizon though so if your not rooted already then just wait for that IMO 

do you have to be rooted for voodoo? That's probably a stupid question, but I don't know ^^

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #475 of 947
I just got an I9300 S3 last night.  I'm happy to report that the iBasso D12 works via USB.  I'm very sad to report that I can't get my Pico to.  I know that someone several pages back got it to work, so I'm hoping it's a matter of getting the right cable adapter.

The stock headphone jack is pretty disappointing.  I expected a flat soundstage.  But there's a pretty loud noise floor too.  The iPhone 4S sounds considerably better.  Perhaps Supercurio can remedy this to some extent.  Regardless, a good USB DAC will play in a different league to ANY stock jack.  Getting at least one of them to work on the S3 is a dream come true.

Jul 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #477 of 947
Quote:
I just got an I9300 S3 last night.  I'm happy to report that the iBasso D12 works via USB.  I'm very sad to report that I can't get my Pico to.  I know that someone several pages back got it to work, so I'm hoping it's a matter of getting the right cable adapter.

The stock headphone jack is pretty disappointing.  I expected a flat soundstage.  But there's a pretty loud noise floor too.  The iPhone 4S sounds considerably better.  Perhaps Supercurio can remedy this to some extent.  Regardless, a good USB DAC will play in a different league to ANY stock jack.  Getting at least one of them to work on the S3 is a dream come true.

Thanks for the info. I've been waiting to hear if the D12 is compatible with the iBasso. Partly due to the D12 being an attractive piece of kit and partly since I hope it's indicative of compatibility with other iBasso DACs. Just out of interest, how does the D12 compare to the Pico? I only found one thread online comparing the 2 and that person said that he sees the 2 as being a lateral move, rather than one being an upgrade over the other.

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #478 of 947
Quote:
So does the SGS3 have a line out?  I can't really read through all the pages.  Seems like there's no need for an aftermarket dac if the wolfson really is that great.  I'd still like to have an aftermarket amp.  How many mw output does the hp jack have?  I'm sure it's like 32/16 ohm output yea?

No as far as I can tell it doesn't have a true line out. I did notice though that the official Samsung dock has a port that says line out on it. Its possible that the dock can get the phone to output in that mode.

check it out...

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #479 of 947
I don't suppose anyone can make an educated guess about when the S3 64gb model would see a price drop? e.g. would something like an updated Google Nexus phone releasing in Autumn 2012 effect the price of the S3? Or would the S3 only see a price drop when the S4 is announced (much as the S2 did when the S3 was released)? I wasn't really looking at phones when the current nexus was released so don't know if it made any difference to the price of the S2 in Autumn 2011.

Thanks

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #480 of 947
So as far as mobile DACs go, what's the best confirmed working DAC at the moment?  The mobile one that I even know of is the E7.  It's a shame the e17 doesn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back