Wolfson DAC confirmed for Galaxy S3!
Sep 26, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #781 of 947
Not for me on either my international or AT&T S3s (it didn't fix the Pico not working with my international one either, mores the pity).

How'd you get official jelly bean on at&t?

Kojaku

Sep 26, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #782 of 947
Quote:
How'd you get official jelly bean on at&t?
Kojaku

The one on the AT&T isn't official, it's a leaked Samsung Jelly Bean firmware (actually for the Bell S3, but the hardware is identical to the AT&T S3, so as long as you don't flash the modem its all good). It is perfectly stable though, been running it a few weeks and no problems whatsoever.

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #783 of 947
Quote:

The one on the AT&T isn't official, it's a leaked Samsung Jelly Bean firmware (actually for the Bell S3, but the hardware is identical to the AT&T S3, so as long as you don't flash the modem its all good). It is perfectly stable though, been running it a few weeks and no problems whatsoever.

So where can I download this? Also, does this work with baseband LH9? or do I have to stick with the old baseband?

Kojaku

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #784 of 947
Quote:
So where can I download this? Also, does this work with baseband LH9? or do I have to stick with the old baseband?

Kojaku

Are you Rooted?

If not: http://www.androidnz.net/2012/08/at-your-own-risk-how-to-root-your.html

If/when you are Rooted get the firmware from XDA-Developers here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1874982

You don't actually need Root to install the firmware, but Root lets you backup your apps beforehand and also do the flash with Mobile Odin (which is easier/better).

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #786 of 947
Quote:
Repost also here.
S3 works with a relevant number of usb DAC.
Can the S3 interworks with USB DAC based on xmos chip.
Anyone know?
Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 con Tapatalk 2

According to our readings, most every exynos-based S3 has worked, except one strange case where someone had done quite a bit of kernel-swapping.

Kojaku

Sep 29, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #787 of 947
So here's a question that may have already been answered (but this thread is getting quite huge so I couldn't find it): is there hardware variance on the SGS3's design among the US models? I see people in places complaining about picking up noise at even low volumes whereas I see some saying they get none. In fact, I'd swear the sound coming from my SGS3 is actually so good that even though I have a way of doing an external DAC essentially that sounds good to me, I actually like the sound so much without it that I never bother even at home. (It's almost enough to make me wonder if there's some possibility that maybe some US models -- perhaps newer ones after a lot of complaints -- got the Wolfson DAC anyway?) I'm hearing quite a lot of fine detail and general quality here with no discernible noise. Now, I'll admit I don't have the "golden ears" of a true audiophile but still, this thing sounds amazing for a phone and better than most of my other devices quite frankly and my hearing and audio preferences are still quite a bit better than your average joe's at least. (In particular, you'll never catch me ruining my bass by raising it way up and distorting the heck out of it as well as making it overpower other frequencies. Mind you, I guess people who like doing that might be disappointed if it doesn't do a good enough job of it, lol.)

What's truly funny is neither my headphones nor my IEMs have the outer metal shielding on the cable so should be more inclined to act as an antenna for RFI (which is pretty easily a problem on a lot of cellphones.) Given that the Wolfson DAC made a big deal about its active filtering... Just a thought anyway. While, no doubt, people have looked at the innards of a few of the SGS3s, how many different ones have they looked at? Perhaps Samsung has varied the hardware a bit for different service providers? Alternately, could they have caved in to all of the upset people and put the Wolfson DAC back in the US model? Or is the alternative DAC just that good and many just have bad OPAMPs or something? The OPAMP does seem to be pretty capable in this one as it can handle my headphones and dual armature IEMs (UltimateEars Super.Fi 5 Pros) just fine. Even the bass seems to be fine with all the clarity and depth I get from my CMoy with the AD8620 . At this point I don't really mind which it is so much as I'm just a bit curious since mine sounds so good and yet so many people's do not. Of course everyone's ears are different, but I don't think they could be THAT different...

It may be worth noting that I've used Titanium Backup to freeze the built-in sound processing service (MusicFX,) so no unnecessary extra audio processing is occurring. I use PowerAmp, but have equalizer/tone control disabled in it too. Well, I do use ReplayGain which not only has the benefit of evening volume out among my collection but also of course helps to decrease clipping from post-Loudness War recordings (which I'll admit is most of my collection.) I've also wondered a bit if that built-in audio processor might have been doing some damage along the way potentially for people who prefer something more neutral or quality oriented. Otherwise it has to be hardware related if it's not that as I never saw anything else that could affect this and am not even running a custom kernel or anything. I'm not even using Jellybean and I've only done one firmware update at all since I got the phone (I decided not to mess with a good thing. I use a lot of custom software for my launchers and everything else, so see no reason to mess with it anyway since I wouldn't really benefit from the "upgrade" but might risk breaking something instead. I'll update some day as it matures more, but right now I'm in no rush.) All I've done was to root it so I could do stuff like that TitaniumBackup and SetCPU.

Anyway, just curious.

Sep 30, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #788 of 947
I got the international s3 version. I just updated to jelly bean and boy i would say the buttery project alone is worth it. In the past I always feel its lacking as it jerkiness of the interface make it look "cheap". But not anymore.. It's on par with iPhone 5's buttery smooth interface. I was a little bothered by the hiss from s3 with ice cream sandwich, but once updated to JB, the hiss sound with fitear 334 got a lot less, it's now so little that I could barely hear it anymore. I could not detect any more difference beside the less hiss. That alone is worth it. The s3 is on par with the sq of iPod. In fact iPod hiss as well...

Not sure what my dac is, but its good enough driven directly without an amp.

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #793 of 947
Quote:
How do you get Jelly Bean??

Depending on the phone it will be pushed put as an upgrade. Android phones are individual in when they receive OS updates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back