Wolfson DAC confirmed for Galaxy S3!
Aug 27, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #736 of 947
Thanks for that Nnotis, I will try again this evening (although I did try connecting and re-connecting a number of times the other night to no avail).

Aug 28, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #737 of 947
Will the S3 be banned in the USA following the recent judgment?
popcorn.gif

Aug 28, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #738 of 947
Aug 28, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #739 of 947
Quote:
I also briefly compared the Pico DAC and the i9300 DAC using the Pico amp for both.  The difference is small enough to be irrelevant for some.  The Pico DAC offers a little bit more detail which is mostly noticeable with spacial cues.  The S3 sounds a little warmer.  The difference is reminiscent of that between my old iMod and the Pico.  The gap might shrink further yet when using the Siyah kernel.  I’ll have to compare the two again once Siyah works on Touchwiz based Jelly Bean ROMs.

Thanks, that's interesting to hear.

Aug 31, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #740 of 947
Sep 3, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #743 of 947
Listening right now with the D600 and the S3 and while the D600 goes extremely deep in the bass, the S3 does not, so its limited there. Also I think the sound is noticeably flatter and with lower resolution than my desktop system. The iPhone 4 sounded identical to the desktop so that just proves the S3, even with the wolfson DAC, cannot match. 

Also the EU output limit of the international version pisses me off :frowning2:

Sep 3, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #744 of 947

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lan647 

Listening right now with the D600 and the S3 and while the D600 goes extremely deep in the bass, the S3 does not, so its limited there. Also I think the sound is noticeably flatter and with lower resolution than my desktop system. The iPhone 4 sounded identical to the desktop so that just proves the S3, even with the wolfson DAC, cannot match. 

Are you using the stock music player and the stock settings audio settings?(sounds like it to me)
The sound on the international galaxy s3 is suppose to sound like a boss with the upcoming voodoo sound that's still being worked on.

If so, you should try rooting the phone then try this app out as the stock audio settings are limited although I don't know if it sounds rude but I would like to know how it sound is afterward with the app/settings adjusted. :D

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1709497&highlight=sound

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #745 of 947
Quote:
I've ordered an amp from Leckerton (these get rave reviews):

http://www.leckertonaudio.com/products/uha-6s-mkii/

I believe it has the same TI USB controller as the E7 so there's a reasonable chance it will work as a DAC with the SGS3.  

I sent an email to Nick from Leckerton and he confirmed that his amp has the same USB streaming chip as the E7, so there's a good chance it will work.  He couldn't guarantee it, though, as he hasn't been able to test it.  

Sep 5, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #746 of 947
Quote:

Hey man, 

I strongly reccomend you root your phone and flash Siyah kernel, its pretty much what Voodoo sound is for the S1, it will also bypass that annoying EU volume cap, I have it powering my DT770´s absolutly fine which arent easy to drive! 

Also will give you access to the 5 band hardware EQ which is GREAT, especially for sub bass which I feel the S3 could use a boost...but then Im classed as a basshead! 

Aside from SQ battery will also increase, and you can install a custom ROM which makes the phone even better (too long to mention) haha...if you need a hand shoot me a PM and if you dont like it its increadibly easy to go back! 

Sep 6, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #747 of 947
Quote:
Hey man, 

I strongly reccomend you root your phone and flash Siyah kernel, its pretty much what Voodoo sound is for the S1, it will also bypass that annoying EU volume cap, I have it powering my DT770´s absolutly fine which arent easy to drive! 

You're hitting on a contentious topic right there.  :)  It's true that there are some bits of code from Voodoo from the S1 added to the Siyah kernel, but it's not comparable to having a Voodoo Sound implementation.  Siyah will add some volume, but I'm sceptical of any major improvements beyond that.  The Voodoo code from S1 can't be copy-pasted to a device with completely different hardware and be expected to have the same effect.  This is the reason Supercurio got upset with the references to 'Voodoo' in relation to the kernel.  

Gokhan works very hard and offers everything to the community for free, so kudos to him, but I've found the kernel to be a little overrated (and sometimes unstable).  He's also not really a sound expert, so we'll need to see what the real difference is if/when Supercurio ever finally releases a 'proper' Voodoo implementation for the SGS3.

Sep 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #748 of 947
Quote:

You're hitting on a contentious topic right there.  :)  It's true that there are some bits of code from Voodoo from the S1 added to the Siyah kernel, but it's not comparable to having a Voodoo Sound implementation.  Siyah will add some volume, but I'm sceptical of any major improvements beyond that.  The Voodoo code from S1 can't be copy-pasted to a device with completely different hardware and be expected to have the same effect.  This is the reason Supercurio got upset with the references to 'Voodoo' in relation to the kernel.  

Gokhan works very hard and offers everything to the community for free, so kudos to him, but I've found the kernel to be a little overrated (and sometimes unstable).  He's also not really a sound expert, so we'll need to see what the real difference is if/when Supercurio ever finally releases a 'proper' Voodoo implementation for the SGS3.

Im saying its similar to Voodoo as it increases the SQ to my ears by a noteworthy amount...it has gain control...also hardware EQ control...and this is ALL from the same code that worked with the S1 so obviously the code is working...not sure why you think it isnt??

There is no real reason it shouldnt due to the two Woolfson chips being nearly identical, if you havent tried it then you dont really have any ground to stand on saying your skeptical of improvements...try it first and then reply here saying it adds nothing! 

At the end of the day its free and adds features that everyone with a S3 would appreciate, especially people who are on these forums so why not give it a try is all im saying! 

You obviously havent used the Kernel in a long time and saying its unstable is rather invalid tbh... I just want Sammy to release Jelly Bean so he can compile a new kernel for JB :D

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #750 of 947
Quote:
I've experienced nothing from the Siyah kernel but improvement over the stock one.  I can't wait to get a new version working with my Touchwiz JB ROM.

What ROM are you using...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back