WMA files to AIFF, FLAC, whatever..
Aug 4, 2010 at 9:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jonasklam

500+ Head-Fier

Oki, so i'm using a Mac and have some WMA files that i need to have converted.

What software can i use?

XLD, MAX, Switch doesn't work. I don't care what format it converts to but i has to be a lossless format.

Aug 7, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 8
If your wma files aren't lossless, don't convert them, especially not to a lossless format.

Foobar's converter is the fastest and has no accuracy problems. By fastest I mean it will simultaneusly encode as many files as you have cpu cores. Typically, it's a full 4x faster if you have a quad core. Unless you've got a HDD bottleneck.

Aug 8, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
If your wma files aren't lossless, don't convert them, especially not to a lossless format.

Why not?
Besides the increased file size I do not see any downsides. Especially since WMA is horribly supported in non-Windows environments, like Mac OS X which the OP run.

Quote:
Foobar's converter is the fastest and has no accuracy problems. By fastest I mean it will simultaneusly encode as many files as you have cpu cores. Typically, it's a full 4x faster if you have a quad core. Unless you've got a HDD bottleneck.

May be, but Foobar2000 is MS Windows only. Not really an option for a Mac user like TS.

@jonasklam. I wonder if VLC could do the trick? It allow you to decode/transcode all audio files it is able to play back.
I do not have any WMA files so not able to verify.

Aug 8, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #5 of 8
Cool, i'll look a foobar - i think i need to take the files to my PC and convert them there anyway, cus i haven't found a mac app that can do it yet (but that's just such a hazzle). The files are lossless and need to convert them into anonther lossless format.

Aug 8, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #6 of 8
@ krmathis
I tried VLC but i crashed on me everytime. This is a common issue even for app that say they support WMA under MAc OS X, they still crash when I try to open the WMA files, every single one of them. So i figured it might be my files that were corrupted - but no - because i can play the music in MAC's own video player QuickTime, LoL.

Soo lame that QuickTime doesn't allow me to convert and that only iTunes on windows support WMA :/

Edit: VLC doesn't crash like the other apps I have tried, I misremembered. It comes up with an error saying that it doesn't support the file codec.

Aug 8, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #7 of 8
Ok, you should have mentioned in the first place that they are WMA Lossless files.
wink_face.gif

As WMA (the lossy variant) have some support outside MS Windows, while WMA Lossless (the lossless variant) have none or very limited support.

I really think your only choice is to do it from inside MS Windows, either on a different computer or in Boot Camp or similar on your Mac.

Aug 8, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #8 of 8
Yea, i sould have, but figured that it wsan't necessary due to the headline.

Anyway, i think you might be right that i have to do the job on my XP machine - but thank you for your inputs :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back