WITHDRAWN: Moth Audio Si2A3
Oct 28, 2008 at 3:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jussei

1000+ Head-Fier
Sorry, but for the time being I'll not be selling the Moth

For those in the know, this amp needs no introduction. Easily the best headphone amp I’ve ever listened to.
I’ve only probably put 20-30 hours on the amp, if that. I purchased this here on Head-Fi a few months ago. It was Toddathan’s who sold it to Blutarsky’s, who then sold it to me (as far as I know).
I’ve got all original packaging (ie wooden Moth box) and paperwork.
Reason for sale: I’d love to keep the amp, but my wife and I had our first child 2 weeks ago and I don’t forsee a lot of dedicated headphone listening in coming months. I’m also looking to fund a photography business and the extra cash would certainly be helpful.

I haven’t had time to get good pictures of the amp, but I’ll get some as soon as I can. If you look up Toddatan’s FS ad, this is the same amp, but I’ll still post pics when I get the chance.

Just a quick overview of some features/specs:
-3 line inputs (unbalanced/RCA)
-3 watts per channel
-alps potentiometer
-hand-wired Cardas speaker jacks
-weight is ~40lbs unpacked (around 70lbs packed)

Tube compliment is
2 x 6SL7’s (inside amp)
2 x 2A3 driver tubes
1 x 5AR4 rectifier tube

The 6SL7’s are stock Sovtek, along with a stock rectifer (Chinese branded ‘electron tube,’ I think it’s Sovtek as well). The 2A3’s are Sophia Mesh plates that are around $300.00/pr. All tubes are strong.

Modifications:
- wired to mute speaker output when headphones are plugged in (done by Craig at Moth Audio)

Info:
Serial number on this particular amp is 147. Although out of production, the amp can still be serviced or upgraded by Craig at Eddie Current.

I believe I’m the third owner. I’ve got all paperwork and the original Moth wooden shipping box (the box has some nicks, etc from being shipped, but it is still pretty presentable)

Functionally, the amp works wonderfully and pummels every other amp I’ve heard handily. I’ve used it exclusively as a headphone amp and it drives high and low impedance headphones with ease. I have tested the speaker output, and although it works great, I didn’t use it since I currently don’t have any appropriately sensitive speakers.

Cosmetically, the amp looks fantastic without scratches, marks, or dings. It will be obvious that it’s been treated well by the previous owners and myself.

One full disclosure note:
-during transit to me, the toroidal transformer mangaged to loosen itself a bit and bounced up and hit a small circuit board (not a vital board, just one that supported wires). The board got cracked, but could easily be epoxied if desired. It doesn’t effect function.

MY ASKING PRICE:
Withdrawn

Oct 28, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 5

Aura

Can Jam '10 Organizer
Umm yeah... this is a ridiculous price.

I paid $50 less for my EC2A3, which is *possibly* a slight step under this Si2A3.

Passing this up would be a huge mistake on anyone's part.

Oct 28, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 5

compuryan

1000+ Head-Fier
I love seeing moth audio stuff. Just soooo cool. Here is what the amp looks like for all those curious:

si2a3dr4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread