WITHDRAWN | Argon T50RP Mk3s and/or Audioquest Nighthawk Carbons (US-CA)
Type
For Sale or Trade
Currency
USD
Price
Shipping Destinations
North America
Or Best Offer
Yes
post-15813421
Post #1 of 15

bigjako

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I'm interested in trading (or selling to fuel other purchases) two great headphones:

1. Argon T50RP Mk3: SE, with ZMF Pads and stock cables. I got this from the original owner in late July. He got them in November 2019. They are in excellent shape, and the only reason I'm looking to trade them away is that I loved them so much, I ordered a Balanced Argon to use with my THX789. Modhouse isn't taking new orders currently, so here's a chance to grab one immediately. Some talk of T50RPs being discontinued, too. To me these sound like you're in the center of a massive cave - a little dark and boomy, but also such a massive soundstage and surprisingly crisp highs.

2. Audioquest Nighthawk Carbons: I'm the original owner, and I fell in love with these, they're very unique sounding. Technically quite amazing, but they're so unique that (at least to me) they don't lend themselves to can swapping in day (or event the next day). I have to commit to listening to them for several days in a row for my brain to play nicely with its soundstage. So the end result is that they don't get much head time these days. Still within the burn-in period (I estimate it has about 70 hours). These also come with a 3rd party balanced XLR cable.

So I'd like to gauge interest in one (or both) of those headphones. I'm trying to get out of 'mid-fi' range and level up, overall. My sound sig tastes run warm and bassy, but my daily driver is the Sundara and I have a Lawton-modded E-MU Teak coming in soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: prinnythepenguin
post-15813428
Post #2 of 15

DenverW

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
You should love the teak, although I must say I prefer them without the Lawton pads or cup damping (just the driver damping.)

do you have sale prices in mind for the headphones above?

post-15813628
Post #3 of 15

bigjako

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I haven't done a lot of research on recent sale pricing, but am in the headspace of $250 to $350 for them, respectively, ideally shipped and with optional fees.

Last edited:
post-15813720
Post #4 of 15

Zabens

Head-Fier
Reaction score
I'm interested in trading (or selling to fuel other purchases) two great headphones:

1. Argon T50RP Mk3: SE, with ZMF Pads and stock cables. I got this from the original owner in late July. He got them in November 2019. They are in excellent shape, and the only reason I'm looking to trade them away is that I loved them so much, I ordered a Balanced Argon to use with my THX789. Modhouse isn't taking new orders currently, so here's a chance to grab one immediately. Some talk of T50RPs being discontinued, too. To me these sound like you're in the center of a massive cave - a little dark and boomy, but also such a massive soundstage and surprisingly crisp highs.

2. Audioquest Nighthawk Carbons: I'm the original owner, and I fell in love with these, they're very unique sounding. Technically quite amazing, but they're so unique that (at least to me) they don't lend themselves to can swapping in day (or event the next day). I have to commit to listening to them for several days in a row for my brain to play nicely with its soundstage. So the end result is that they don't get much head time these days. Still within the burn-in period (I estimate it has about 70 hours).

So I'd like to gauge interest in one (or both) of those headphones. I'm trying to get out of 'mid-fi' range and level up, overall. My sound sig tastes run warm and bassy, but my daily driver is the Sundara and I have a Lawton-modded E-MU Teak coming in soon.
Think twice before selling the nighthawks. I'm on my second pair (gave my first pair to my mom along with an amp because she only had those crappy apple buds and I wanted to justify buying something else). They're getting really hard to find and now, years later, I'm listening to them more just because they're so unique and cool. Hands down the best thing Audioquest had ever made.

Reactions: bigjako
post-15813832
Post #5 of 15

bigjako

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Think twice before selling the nighthawks. I'm on my second pair (gave my first pair to my mom along with an amp because she only had those crappy apple buds and I wanted to justify buying something else). They're getting really hard to find and now, years later, I'm listening to them more just because they're so unique and cool. Hands down the best thing Audioquest had ever made.
Yeah, I think you're probably right... I don't need to sell them, and they are pretty special. I think they're worth more than $250 at least, so thanks for that. They were the first cans I bought after the 6XX's and they just were so unique and cool, as you say. They're just sitting in a box so much that I'm tempted to use them as a jumpstart into Electrostatics or something I've never tried. Grass is not always greener, though, and I'd be happy to hold onto them.

post-15813839
Post #6 of 15

Zabens

Head-Fier
Reaction score
Yeah, I think you're probably right... I don't need to sell them, and they are pretty special. I think they're worth more than $250 at least, so thanks for that. They were the first cans I bought after the 6XX's and they just were so unique and cool, as you say. They're just sitting in a box so much that I'm tempted to use them as a jumpstart into Electrostatics or something I've never tried. Grass is not always greener, though, and I'd be happy to hold onto them.
Then hang on to them. Liked I said, They're getting harder to find and personally, I think they're going to go down as classics especially within the next decade.

post-15814292
Post #7 of 15

Nemesis9

Head-Fier
Reaction score
Then hang on to them. Liked I said, They're getting harder to find and personally, I think they're going to go down as classics especially within the next decade.
I'm in your situation by I'm on my 3rd pair :) I had the original ones and sold to fund more headphones. I missed them dearly after listening to a variety of different cans and bought the carbons. Someone offered me $350 dollars for them after I had them a week so I just had to do it. I needed them again in my life so last week I checked ebay and made a best offer of $110, yes, no kidding on a mint pair of carbons. These will never be sold :)
I alternate between the hawks, the ananda, and a custom deep cup denon.

Last edited:
post-15815225
Post #9 of 15

Audioraider

New Head-Fier
Reaction score

2. Audioquest Nighthawk Carbons: I'm the original owner, and I fell in love with these, they're very unique sounding. Technically quite amazing, but they're so unique that (at least to me) they don't lend themselves to can swapping in day (or event the next day). I have to commit to listening to them for several days in a row for my brain to play nicely with its soundstage. So the end result is that they don't get much head time these days. Still within the burn-in period (I estimate it has about 70 hours). These also come with a 3rd party balanced XLR cable.

I see you have withdrawn the ad for these and I think you will be happy with that decision. I will tell you I’ve gone the opposite direction. I have many higher end headphones, including the focal clear, LCDXC, lcd-2 pre f, quad ERA-1 among others. I picked up a pair of nightowl carbon because everyone said they sounded different and I have a lot of free time on my hands right now. I have to tell you that I am absolutely in love with them. They do take a little getting used to but I’ve Never looked so forward to wearing a pair of headphones as I do these. Now for the real shocker, I picked up a pair of MODHouse Aragons a couple days ago because I was looking for something unique and something to watch movies with. I had no idea that they were literally going to be a bowling ball rolling through all of my high priced headphones. Yes some of those are certainly more detailed but the sound quality of these aragons is nothing short of stunning. The MODhouse has made me completely reevaluate what is good sound and the price of headphones.

Reactions: drownie and bigjako
post-15815262
Post #10 of 15

bigjako

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I see you have withdrawn the ad for these and I think you will be happy with that decision. I will tell you I’ve gone the opposite direction. I have many higher end headphones, including the focal clear, LCDXC, lcd-2 pre f, quad ERA-1 among others. I picked up a pair of nightowl carbon because everyone said they sounded different and I have a lot of free time on my hands right now. I have to tell you that I am absolutely in love with them. They do take a little getting used to but I’ve Never looked so forward to wearing a pair of headphones as I do these. Now for the real shocker, I picked up a pair of MODHouse Aragons a couple days ago because I was looking for something unique and something to watch movies with. I had no idea that they were literally going to be a bowling ball rolling through all of my high priced headphones. Yes some of those are certainly more detailed but the sound quality of these aragons is nothing short of stunning. The MODhouse has made me completely reevaluate what is good sound and the price of headphones.
I will say you're right on both counts. I still think the Nighthawks are so unique that it takes 1-2 days of brain burn (or more accurately, for me, is it takes that long for my brain to 'reshape' its audio processing facilities). I can't swap back and forth between the Nighthawks and the Argons because it feels like going from a concert hall to a subterranean cave in a matter of seconds and it's jarring. But when I can listen to the Nighthawks for a good week, and only the Nighthawk, I get happily lost within that cave. I will say it doesn't play well with tube amps, it's like a cave within a cave.

And yeah, the Argons are quite something - I was just looking to sell or trade because I have a Balanced Argon coming in 12-15 weeks.

post-15815271
Post #11 of 15

Nemesis9

Head-Fier
Reaction score
What do the argon sound like?

post-15815345
Post #12 of 15

Audioraider

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
What do the argon sound like?
They sound huge! Clean, well defined, warm. I have tried numerous “bass head” headphones and all of them have the problem of the base bleeding into the mids which, for me, sounds muddy and awful. The shocker with these is how audiophile they sound along with the massive bass. i’ll give you an example I have the maze 99 classics. I have kept them because they were a good closed back headphones but don’t listen to them much because the bass bleeds into the mids. I have never understood why people think these are such good headphones . Along with the clean bass there is the incredible soundstage . As Josh says in his review, along with many other reviewer‘s, the soundstage is like absolutely nothing I have ever heard. Sounds coming from every direction, above you, behind you and below you. I’ve never heard any headphone at any price they can come even close to this sort of 3-D sound.

post-15815415
Post #13 of 15

bigjako

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I had the Meze 99 Neos for a time. I know they're not the Classics, but I heard they were in the ballpark. I found them unlistenable and returned them to Amazon even though I got a great deal one an unused warehouse deal ($99). Not unlistenable in the sense that they were harsh or that the driver was broken, just that I just couldn't picture myself ever really listening to them, they sounded so flat and bassy and yeah, the bass bled into the mids.. lots of bleeding, messy messy bleeding going on.

The Argons have good bass, but also really good, clear highs - though I wouldn't call them V-Shaped. I am in the process of doing the ModHouse cup mod on some $50 SHP9500s I got, just for fun, and the effect on them is pretty striking (to be fair, I am doing the magnet mod, the HM5 pad mod and the 3D Cup mod so its hard to pinpoint what is doing the most - but I was able to A/B test between with cup and without, and without the pad/with magnet, the bass was much stronger than stock. With the cup, it added a lot more clarity and resolution and tamed the bass in a good way).

post-15815508
Post #14 of 15

Audioraider

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
I had the Meze 99 Neos for a time. I know they're not the Classics, but I heard they were in the ballpark. I found them unlistenable and returned them to Amazon even though I got a great deal one an unused warehouse deal ($99). Not unlistenable in the sense that they were harsh or that the driver was broken, just that I just couldn't picture myself ever really listening to them, they sounded so flat and bassy and yeah, the bass bled into the mids.. lots of bleeding, messy messy bleeding going on.

The Argons have good bass, but also really good, clear highs - though I wouldn't call them V-Shaped. I am in the process of doing the ModHouse cup mod on some $50 SHP9500s I got, just for fun, and the effect on them is pretty striking (to be fair, I am doing the magnet mod, the HM5 pad mod and the 3D Cup mod so its hard to pinpoint what is doing the most - but I was able to A/B test between with cup and without, and without the pad/with magnet, the bass was much stronger than stock. With the cup, it added a lot more clarity and resolution and tamed the bass in a good way).
Subterranean cave! Yup

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)