With the death of LG Mobile on the horizon, what phone will you move to next?
Mar 12, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #16 of 75
I am more worried about the "no SD card slot" on newer phones guys, compared to the loss of headphone jack. OnePlus Nord, the ASUS above, Pixel 4A, Iphone's for example are all nosdcardsloters.

No shortage of models from Sony, Samsung, Motorola, Xiaomi with SD card slot right now, but who knows in future.....

Chances are you will mostly try use such phone as transport for external DAC and having non-expandable memory is not good. 1 DSD album is 5-6GB. Even 256 or 512GB are not enough most of the time (for this and lossless library).
I agree on the non sd slot on cheaper - 128 gigs as an upper limit just isn’t enough.

I think dongles are going to become even more popular the better they get - they also get around issues of upgrading devices entirely (even more applicable with chi-fi dap upgrade cycles shortening).

Mar 12, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #17 of 75
What it is doing ?

I mean, you could try to contact UAPP developer if there is problem on your phone. Though i don't see this model in their 'supported devices list', you could try. Paid for the program, might as well check on that. It is better than the Fiio player. Meybe changing some settings will be enough as this phone has iternal DAC AK.

Oh no I didn't paid for UAPP. I already knew beforehand that the newer Vivo phones won't support the app so I just tried the free trial for a while.

Vivo has their own "HiFi" exclusive mode whenever I plugged in my earphones into it and it'll have a "HI-FI" icon on the top right corner which I'll attach it with a pic below. They'll have their own menu for hifi stuffs and they show which apps supports it, unfortunately UAPP wasn't one of them but other music player apps like Fiio and Hiby supports it. Spotify and Tidal are included in HiFi mode too.

Apparently it's a Vivo-only thing so just a heads up for those who are looking for alternatives who has been using UAPP.

Screenshot_20201214_154239.jpg

Mar 16, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #20 of 75
The apparent death of the LG line of smartphones is a big disappointment to me. I was planning to upgrade to the V70 when it was released (I had a V50). I weighed my options and decided to get the V60. It was in stock at my service provider and they made me an attractive purchase offer. So far (one day) I'm happy with it. I'm not a power phone user so as the chip ages out I won't have any performance issues. I figure, absent some catastrophic failure, I'll have this phone for few years. I'm glad to have a few more years with the hi-fidelity DAC.

It strikes me that in the pantheon of smartphone features, high-quality audio is just not that important to most buyers. It appears that camera quality is what moves phone users. Perhaps as streaming services like Spotify start to embrace high resolution music, the need for good-quality DACs on smartphones will become more apparent. One can only hope.

Mar 16, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #21 of 75
It strikes me that in the pantheon of smartphone features, high-quality audio is just not that important to most buyers. It appears that camera quality is what moves phone users. Perhaps as streaming services like Spotify start to embrace high resolution music, the need for good-quality DACs on smartphones will become more apparent. One can only hope.
Think it's fair to say that the general consumer just goes Bluetooth now. Hence why headphone jacks have dropped off. HiFi audio is niche. Bluetooth audio has gotten to "good enough" levels I would say, and most people value the convenience just as much or more. As for cameras, I think quality is easier to "see" for people than it is to hear.

Honestly, I'm surprised LG has gotten this far justifying a dedicated DAC/amp in the phone. I expected it and the headphone jack to drop off sooner, especially being that their mobile profits have been hurting year after year. Just makes sense to drop the HiFi stuff to cut cost down; sadly there isn't enough demand for it from the general population.

Mar 19, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #22 of 75
I am more worried about the "no SD card slot" on newer phones guys, compared to the loss of headphone jack. OnePlus Nord, the ASUS above, Pixel 4A, Iphone's for example are all nosdcardsloters.

No shortage of models from Sony, Samsung, Motorola, Xiaomi with SD card slot right now, but who knows in future.....

Chances are you will mostly try use such phone as transport for external DAC and having non-expandable memory is not good. 1 DSD album is 5-6GB. Even 256 or 512GB are not enough most of the time (for this and lossless library).

To be fair this isn't exactly a new trend. With the exception of one OnePlus phone, Apple, OnePlus & Google have never had expandable storage for their phones.

Mar 22, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #24 of 75
I feel pretty good about my current strategy; just buy a cheapie phone (Moto G8 Power), save the rest for an actual DAP

Apr 4, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #25 of 75
I got my ROG 5 a week ago and am very happy. It has a cracking battery (unlike my old V30), great speakers and a massive screen with no bloody holes or notches.

UAPP works great (I got some help from the awesome developer, Davy) and drives my 250 Ohm headphones beautifully.

I never used MQA files, so that feature isn't missed.

Apr 4, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #26 of 75
Honestly, I just use a dap. Way higher SQ than a phone anyways, even one with good chip
I disagree - my V20 was on a par with my SR15/polymojo imo.

Not as good granted but always nice to have on my person as a viable backup.

I have a xiaomi mi 9t pro now - not as good - but also with a 3.5mm socket. Usually the best you have is the best you have on you and I always carry wired iems and a phone with me - but not necessarily a dap

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #27 of 75
I am all for planning but, let's not freak out. Todays great LG sound can live on for years, unless you have a penchant for changing phones like underwear. As long as there is a way to crack open my G7 thinQ and get a new battery in there I am fine. As for DAPs, one cannot seriously say DAPs are better than phones as a group. There may be some standout DAPs, but many are waaaay overpriced compared to an LG, especially used. Heck, I may have to try to find some V series with replaceable batts for $25 each or so, blows the crap out of the Sansa junk.

And for the thought of moving to Apple, that made me laugh.

And as @Julius Decimus noted, the loss of sd cards is troubling.

Seriously, while we are just a small sliver of a huge market, audio fools like us may still be a demographic that a smaller version of what's may be left of LG may cater to. Look at what happened when Nokia exited the biz. Took a few years but decent Nokia phones showed up to fill some of the lost need. Not saying it may not be without hiccups or that we will get the same stuff we have been used to from a suitors new offering, but I am hopeful.

Heck there are still folks out their that still use and think their speshul Apple Ipod 5Gen is the greatest thing since sliced bread, go figure.

Apr 4, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #28 of 75
I am all for planning but, let's not freak out. Todays great LG sound can live on for years, unless you have a penchant for changing phones like underwear. As long as there is a way to crack open my G7 thinQ and get a new battery in there I am fine. As for DAPs, one cannot seriously say DAPs are better than phones as a group. There may be some standout DAPs, but many are waaaay overpriced compared to an LG, especially used. Heck, I may have to try to find some V series with replaceable batts for $25 each or so, blows the crap out of the Sansa junk.

And for the thought of moving to Apple, that made me laugh.

And as @Julius Decimus noted, the loss of sd cards is troubling.

Seriously, while we are just a small sliver of a huge market, audio fools like us may still be a demographic that a smaller version of what's may be left of LG may cater to. Look at what happened when Nokia exited the biz. Took a few years but decent Nokia phones showed up to fill some of the lost need. Not saying it may not be without hiccups or that we will get the same stuff we have been used to from a suitors new offering, but I am hopeful.

Heck there are still folks out their that still use and think their speshul Apple Ipod 5Gen is the greatest thing since sliced bread, go figure.
My LG V20 is still running strong and loaded with tunes via sdcard - I'm also using it as a paragliding flight instrument. Good crap never dies. Just gets old!

It has two spare replaceable batteries too!

Apr 6, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #29 of 75
Hey guys, do you think that Asus rog 5 will sound as good as LG V series? Also, I've just bought Sony Xperia 5 Mk II, but i can still cancel the order and go for the Rog 5. All I care about is the sound quality. What do you think?

Apr 6, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #30 of 75
Hey guys, do you think that Asus rog 5 will sound as good as LG V series? Also, I've just bought Sony Xperia 5 Mk II, but i can still cancel the order and go for the Rog 5. All I care about is the sound quality. What do you think?
Get either phone and use a dongle such W2. That will definitely sound better then any phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back