Wireless, internet, remote surveillance?
Oct 17, 2008 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Samgotit

Headphoneus Supremus
No, I don't want to stalk an ex or archive Kirosia's showering habits. Family and I need to be able to remotely check on an elderly relative.

I have a windows laptop and wireless cable internet at the relative's home. A single, wireless camera is all that's needed for now, but system expandability would be nice. Camera does not need to pan/tilt. B&W is fine.

I need to be able to access the video feed via the net from anywhere. Any recommendations on how to set this up and what hardware I will need. I've done the requisite goggling, but what say you?

Thanks

Oct 19, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #2 of 7

Herandu

Banned: Shares IP addresses with DC Lee StanleyB1
Get one of the Trendnet IP cameras. They work over the net quite well. I got one set up to watch over my house when I am on business. Can even call it up via my phone when I log on to the net. It has VOIP as well so I can listen in to other side.

Oct 19, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #3 of 7

MusicallySilent

500+ Head-Fier
I have heard decent things about dlink.

Oct 23, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #4 of 7

bhjazz

Headphoneus Supremus
Make sure you have good security set up. Anyone able to hack something like this is surely looking to cause trouble. So, a short list would be:
-update all virus software at that home
-consider a router which would allow ports to be configured (or shut off completely)
-double check that the wireless system also only allows very strict access.
-try to find a camera that has a wide angle view, if possible
-make sure the camera, if it is wireless, only broadcasts to a very specific location.

I hate to sound like the network police, but it's only with good intentions. Wireless stuff is just too tempting for hackers these days.

Oct 23, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #5 of 7

MusicallySilent

500+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-snip-

I agree that wireless is an easy but dangerous thing, if the wireless internet is supplied through the house of the relative, then I would if at all possible get a wired camera. If you can't use a wired camera, make sure your wireless network is secured and if possible you may be able to get a camera that can encrypt it's signals.

Users who are viewing this thread