Wireless In-Ear Monitors (IEM) for the exercise/gym/workouts
Jul 21, 2018 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

SilverEars

Headphoneus Supremus
I really dislike cables as it tends to get in the way, and therefore decided on wireless In-Ear monitors.

Can you all recommend a decent one with long battery life? Battery life and price is most important. Don't care for features other than getting decent sound for a good low price and not being have to charge too often.

Thanks.

Aug 16, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #2 of 6
Did you find one?
A wireless cable or dongle might be the way to go.

I'm in the UK and on Amazon UK the reviews for all wireless earbuds (Sony, B&O, Jabra, Bose models) all seem to be very bad (all around 3.5 on Amazon is terrible).

I tried Jabra Elite 65T recently and thought they were clever but poor overall. I liked how they paused when you took them off and the ambient feature.
They hurt my ears a little and sound is mediocre in every way. Eartips are expensive (they have to be shorter to fit into the case.
The worst aspect was the interference. The connection to the phone seemed stable enough, but it seemed like way they work is that the right earbud connects to your phone, and the left earbud connects to the right earbud. In any case, the left earbud frequently cut out at my gym (unusable) and at train stations platforms.
I used them with iPhone X (BT 5.0)--the phone was only ever in my hand or in my hip pocket.

Aug 16, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #3 of 6
I will try out a bunch soon even ones with AptX and probably do a large write-up or post in the big thread for wireless portable headphones.

Since I don't expect much from bluetooth, all I care about is best performance per price and practicality for workouts.

Aug 17, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 6
Hi SilverEars,

I suggest looking into the Shure BT mmcx cable, I have this & have been using them with several IEMs for various activities, the clip it comes with is also reasonbly secure.
If you're don't have an IEM already to go with this potential solution, get them with the Shure 215 SE which has the most reasonable bass response compared to anything in the Shure IEM range barring the 846 but that's just my humble & subjective opinion.
It's a good alternative to anything truly wireless or 'fitness' oriented earphones as it will depend on how good your source & actual in ears are.
It is also a 'cheaper' option instead of getting 'dedicated' earphones as if you have good IEMS with mmcx, you can just switch them out when you need.

It has among the best battery life vs price for a wireless solution, 2 hrs charge gets you 8 hours or if you're in a hurry, 20 mins charge gives you 2 hours.

Free free to ask me more if you need.

Aug 18, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #5 of 6
I got couple of posts here of ones I've tried so far. This thread has lots of posts on people's thoughts on stuff they've tried.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/goi...are-we-there-yet.861024/page-57#post-14429214

Hi SilverEars,

I suggest looking into the Shure BT mmcx cable, I have this & have been using them with several IEMs for various activities, the clip it comes with is also reasonbly secure.
If you're don't have an IEM already to go with this potential solution, get them with the Shure 215 SE which has the most reasonable bass response compared to anything in the Shure IEM range barring the 846 but that's just my humble & subjective opinion.
It's a good alternative to anything truly wireless or 'fitness' oriented earphones as it will depend on how good your source & actual in ears are.
It is also a 'cheaper' option instead of getting 'dedicated' earphones as if you have good IEMS with mmcx, you can just switch them out when you need.

It has among the best battery life vs price for a wireless solution, 2 hrs charge gets you 8 hours or if you're in a hurry, 20 mins charge gives you 2 hours.

Free free to ask me more if you need.
I may actually try that one, but most important for me is AptX compatability. AptX LL (Low latency) and general AptX. Low latency is important for watching videos. Sometimes earbuds without AptX has pretty good SQ as well (so, AptX is not a guarantee of SQ).

One thing also to keep in mind is that, if you are looking for one for workouts and you sweat a lot or foresee chances of getting them wet, etc.., you don't want to just add a Bluetooth module to a audiophile iems, particularly pricey ones that you do not want to degrade with salt from the sweat. You want something that serves the purpose for the function, in this case working out.

You know what gives you superfast quick charge? Oneplus Bullets wireless. 5hrs of listen time from 10min of charge time :astonished:. It's a rip-off of BeatsX, but priced much more reasonably than beats. Unfortunately, they are not in stock.

https://www.oneplus.com/bullets-wireless

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #6 of 6
Hi SilverEars,

It goes without saying one doesn't use pricey IEMs for workouts, etc or any situation which could cause the thing harm or any degradation but I've been in this a long time & I've seen as well as heard those who do workouts, etc, especially with pricey full size headphones & players.
I'm glad I'm the sensible sort who appreciates hard work & not burning through money like water but I digress...

AptX support is more than fine, video will be alright too as AptX LL has been pretty much standardised on the codec though if there are any sync issues in LL, then it may be from source rather than AptX itself.
I agree AptX is no guarantee on SQ but also depends more on source & headphone/IEM, etc rather than the codec itself.

Anyway, yes, aware of the Oneplus Bullet Wireless though given where I am, these nor Oneplus has ever been available which is almost a shame & I did consider Oneplus phones once upon a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back