Wireless headphones for PC/games and music
Apr 29, 2016 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

jebediah

New Head-Fier
Hi again guys.
So in older days i've noticed that i play online games less then before so i don't really need a headset (aka gaming headset) anymore.
I still playing games however, and alot, and ofc some music. So the search for a wireless headphone with good sound has started.

I know there's alot of good quality headsets/headphones out there, but i want to know your thoughts and experience first.

There's one headphone that caught my attention a couple weeks ago and that's Plantronics BackBeat Pro. But after some reviews it looks more like a headset for the phone then for a PC. I don't need all thoose fancy control buttons etc.
So later on i stumble upon Sennheiser RS185. The price is high, but they might be worth it?

Anyway. i've never owned wireless headphones before so i need help with what i should, and should not buy. The only brands i'm familiar with is Qpad, SteelSeries, Logitech etc....

Apr 29, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 16
You can't go wrong really with Sennheisers range of wireless headphone systems. 

I personally have the V-Moda Crossfade Wireless as my wireless headphones for gaming on my PC, they do work quite well and the built in mic is not all that bad.

Apr 30, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #3 of 16
  You can't go wrong really with Sennheisers range of wireless headphone systems. 

I personally have the V-Moda Crossfade Wireless as my wireless headphones for gaming on my PC, they do work quite well and the built in mic is not all that bad.

Looks kinda neat :) Been looking at review videos at YT and V-Moda Crossfade Wireless seems great, but the price is the same as Sennheiser RS185.
TBH, i've never heard about V-Moda before.
Any more suggestions? 

Apr 30, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #4 of 16

Looks kinda neat :) Been looking at review videos at YT and V-Moda Crossfade Wireless seems great, but the price is the same as Sennheiser RS185.
TBH, i've never heard about V-Moda before.
Any more suggestions? 

You could also look at the Sony MDR-1ABT & Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless.

These plus the V-Moda are geared as music headphones but will sound great with gaming.

May 4, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #5 of 16
  You could also look at the Sony MDR-1ABT & Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless.

These plus the V-Moda are geared as music headphones but will sound great with gaming.

Thanks.
Thing i gonna go with the Sony MDR-1ABT for now and upgrade later if i'll choose to stay with wireless :)
But another thing i've not mentioned. My PC does not have Bluetooth, so i guess i need a Bluetooth dongle as well. Would any brand do the trick or is there something special i should look for, or is there any other solution?

May 4, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #6 of 16

Thanks.
Thing i gonna go with the Sony MDR-1ABT for now and upgrade later if i'll choose to stay with wireless :)
But another thing i've not mentioned. My PC does not have Bluetooth, so i guess i need a Bluetooth dongle as well. Would any brand do the trick or is there something special i should look for?

As long as the dongle has Bluetooth 4.0 or higher than you should be fine. 

I would simply go for the one with the best reviews + highest bluetooth standard + Perhaps have AptX onboard as well.

May 4, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #7 of 16
  As long as the dongle has Bluetooth 4.0 or higher than you should be fine. 

I would simply go for the one with the best reviews + highest bluetooth standard + Perhaps have AptX onboard as well.

Again, thanks for all the help HUM24H.
Think this gonna open up a whole new world to me, especially since my kid likes to pull out the headphone cord out :)
But i gonna miss my Asus Xonar card however.

May 4, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 16

Again, thanks for all the help HUM24H.
Think this gonna open up a whole new world to me, especially since my kid likes to pull out the headphone cord out :)
But i gonna miss my Asus Xonar card however.

No problem :)

Glad I could help.

May 5, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #9 of 16
So the battle begins :)

Just plugged it in and listened for like 5 min. For me the sound was kinda to bright and crisp, and some lack of base. But when i plugged my old headset back in, they sudently sounded to dull and the songs was not just there. Guess i have to give the new headphones a couple days first before i decide :)

Anyway. The BT dongle, should i plug it in USB 2.0 or 3.0? Don't know how the data transfer looks with headphone.

May 5, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #10 of 16
  So the battle begins :)

Just plugged it in and listened for like 5 min. For me the sound was kinda to bright and crisp, and some lack of base. But when i plugged my old headset back in, they sudently sounded to dull and the songs was not just there. Guess i have to give the new headphones a couple days first before i decide :)

Anyway. The BT dongle, should i plug it in USB 2.0 or 3.0? Don't know how the data transfer looks with headphone.

Don't forget that if we listen to something for long enough we tend to think that it sounds best and it isn't until we listen to something that is better, that we realise how better sound can be.

So yeah I would say give it some time for you to get used to the sound.

Honestly if you have a USB 3.0 port available then just plug it into that port, in all honesty there really shouldn't be any difference between USB 2.0 & 3.0 but no harm in plugging it into the USB 3.0 :p

May 5, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #11 of 16

Let 'em play at moderately loud volumes even when you are not around for a day or so. I'm in the camp that a little break in can sometimes help headphones, too, beyond what they sound like fresh out of the box.

May 5, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #12 of 16
  Don't forget that if we listen to something for long enough we tend to think that it sounds best and it isn't until we listen to something that is better, that we realise how better sound can be.

So yeah I would say give it some time for you to get used to the sound.

Honestly if you have a USB 3.0 port available then just plug it into that port, in all honesty there really shouldn't be any difference between USB 2.0 & 3.0 but no harm in plugging it into the USB 3.0 :p

Yes i will give it a try with a couple games as soon as my kid goes to bed :)

Let 'em play at moderately loud volumes even when you are not around for a day or so. I'm in the camp that a little break in can sometimes help headphones, too, beyond what they sound like fresh out of the box.

That makes sense. I've always "played in" my home theater so it might be the same for headphones.
Thanks

Also, another question.
I recieved a CD with driver for the BT dongle. It seems as Win10 own drivers works without any problems, but should i install the supplied drivers instead?

May 5, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #13 of 16
If it works without the dongle and sounds OK, why change it? Unless the headphones and the dongle are capable of aptx and that requires it's own drivers.

May 5, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #14 of 16

Yes i will give it a try with a couple games as soon as my kid goes to bed :)

That makes sense. I've always "played in" my home theater so it might be the same for headphones.
Thanks

Also, another question.
I recieved a CD with driver for the BT dongle. It seems as Win10 own drivers works without any problems, but should i install the supplied drivers instead?

I would probably suggest going onto the Manufacturer's website and downloading the latest drivers for the dongle, I wouldn't use the CD as most likely the drivers that are on the CD are out of date to what is online.

May 6, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #15 of 16
Finaly i got some time to test these out and i'm starting to like the sound, but there's one problem.
The left speaker is about 15% louder then the right one, almost like the speakers are unbalance. I've googled it but can't find any other simular problems.

The BT dongle is a "no name" brand and the latest driver is back from 2013 and doesn't work on Win10, so i might return that one to :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back