Wireless Headphone Suggestions
Oct 4, 2002 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for some wireless headphone suggestions. They will be used with my, I mean my daughter's PS2 game console. It really is a lot of fun. It sounds awesome on the home theater system in the familyroom, but I need something for those late night races on Gran Turismo
tongue.gif

Oct 4, 2002 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 6
That's exactly what I use the xDream system for (my PS2 -- I mean my kid's PS2....okay, I don't have any kids), and also for listening to digital cable music-only channels late at night.

I dig them for two reasons primarily:
  1. They sound better than I expected wireless headphones to sound. They do have a fairly thick lower midbass than I'd like, but I use my receiver's tone controls to tame it a bit. The sound is great for gaming.
  2. Signal transmission is digital and infrared, so it's quite secure. Though I don't watch anything on television that I'd be embarrassed about admitting to, I don't necessarily want to be broadcasting the audio of what I'm watching to any neighbors who might have a police scanner nearby. The range is very good, but, of course, infrared can't see through walls. I'm typically about 20 to 25 feet from where I placed the transmitter.

If you care about how you look with them on, you probably won't like them; but I personally don't care much about that. Admittedly, though, because of the big IR pod on top of the headband, they make the wearer look like some sort of a Teletubby.

act_scooter.jpg

NOTE: FreeSystems/xDream is a sponsor of Head-Fi.

Oct 4, 2002 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 6
That's one for the list. Thanks. I can see it now my wife comes down stairs in the middle of the night and finds a giant Teletubby playing videos. I'm glad I don't embarass easily.

Oct 4, 2002 at 10:39 PM Post #4 of 6
I hope this thread get s lot of informative posts. There are at least a half dozen units out there worth considering. I am not at all familiar with most of them but hopefully there are others at this site who have some opinions about te different models that are currently available.

Oct 5, 2002 at 4:30 AM Post #5 of 6
lextek... search
very_evil_smiley.gif

Personally, I've listened to several of the Sony and Sennheiser models, the Amphony, the xdream, and a few others.

I would only spend money on the xdream or the Amphony. The others had sound that was pretty unbearable IMO.

The xdream is infrared, so it has *no* RF interference, but it requires direct line of sight. The Amphony is RF so it can be used through walls, but is susceptible to RF interference. While most of the other RF models on the market use 900MHz or some other range, which is pretty common, the Amphony uses the 2.4GHz range. It has better reception than most of the other RF systems I've tried, but because of the frequency range it uses, it is susceptible to interference from 802.11b networks, 2.4GHz cordless phones, and some microwave ovens
wink.gif

I'm not sure I can really pick one over the other, since I didn't own them simultaneously. If you held a gun to my head, I'd probably guess that the xdream is a bit better sounding, but the Amphony was a bit more comfortable to wear
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2002 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
The others had sound that was pretty unbearable IMO.

I agree, except I would add the Amphony to the end of the list.

Quote:

and some microwave ovens

If you want to experience the feeling of cannons exploding in your head, use the Amphony's near a microwave oven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back