Wire Stripping / Wire tinning
Mar 13, 2004 at 2:30 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Sal
I've been using this pair for years and they were handed down to me from my father's tool box.

They may not look pretty, but with a little practice, you can strip anything from thick to thin gauge without nicking the wire. I've had brand new ones of that style, but none of them seem to strip as well as this old pair. I guess it just shows that a good tool can last a lifetime.

wire_strippers.jpg

I have a pair like that too. Made by Klein.

I love them. You turn a little set screw to change the wire gauge it'll strip. If you set the screw right, it is perfect everytime.

HIGHLY recommended

Mar 16, 2004 at 6:24 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by tangent

Who cares if the solder oxidizes? It's the conductor you care about -- the solder is protecting the conductor.

Hmm, I thought electricity always flows on the surface, which, at junctions is the solder. I also thought I read somewhere that oxidized solder is more likely to corrode the wire? I dunno, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Mar 16, 2004 at 6:58 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by beats unbeaten
Hmm, I thought electricity always flows on the surface, which, at junctions is the solder. I also thought I read somewhere that oxidized solder is more likely to corrode the wire? I dunno, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

That's what I hear too. If you have a good conductor, that's outside edge is all corroded, your sound might sound pretty bad. Because the normal conductor with high conductivity now has a di-electric on the outside where the high frequency ranges tranvel with low conductivity. So you're just attenuated your high frequencies.

I think at least. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But I always thought that was the reason OFC is so highly regarded.

Mar 16, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

You turn a little set screw to change the wire gauge it'll strip

That kind is reasonable. The kind I was railing against is similar, but inferior.

Quote:

I thought electricity always flows on the surface

Only at high frequency.

I'm gonna drop that subject right here, though, or it'll degenerate into a wire/cable war.

Mar 16, 2004 at 11:26 PM Post #21 of 21
Ok, I know that I have used my teeth more than too many times to strip wire, but on teflon?! Teflon is a Carcinogen people, keep it out of your mouths!

Milo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back