winxp hangs after 20 mins idle
Nov 1, 2008 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

hentai

1000+ Head-Fier
Anyone had this problem b4? How to solve it?

I am running a windows xp home on amd 4400 dual core , 9600gt and 3 gb ram

Nov 1, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 32
A bit more information please. Are you saying you're in windows and it freezes after 20 minutes? Very weird problem. Sounds like a nasty virus.

Nov 1, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #3 of 32
Can you check for CPU or RAM overloads, then we're a step further.

And, as apatN said already, it does sound like a virus or loads of trojans.

Nov 1, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #4 of 32
Is it always precisely 20 minutes? If so, then there's always the possibility that you have some power-save setting (powering down hard-drives, switching off displays, etc) that has managed to get itself buggy, and is hanging the system when it tries to kick in. Might be worth (while you diagnose the issue) having a look at those settings.

Nov 1, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it always precisely 20 minutes? If so, then there's always the possibility that you have some power-save setting (powering down hard-drives, switching off displays, etc) that has managed to get itself buggy, and is hanging the system when it tries to kick in. Might be worth (while you diagnose the issue) having a look at those settings.

I didn't really record the time but its around that duration. If i am working on the com, it will not hang. It only hangs when it's been untouched for around 20 mins. Whether its exactly 20 mins or not i am not sure. I have already switch off the power management and screen saver.

Nov 1, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by feNcheL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you check for CPU or RAM overloads, then we're a step further.

And, as apatN said already, it does sound like a virus or loads of trojans.

How to check for cpu and ram overloads? It can't be overload when i don't even touch the pc or run any application. Only if i am working on the com , it won't hang.

Nov 1, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #7 of 32
If the computer really gets "idle" as in a blank screen, stopped hard drives and quiet fans, I'd say the computer hangs when you try to get it back to its working condition. Is that right?

In any case I'd look at the graphic card drivers. Have them updated and be sure they're XP "approved". Also motherboard drivers, specially the chipset ones, can cause that sort of trouble when not completely right.

Nov 1, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the computer really gets "idle" as in a blank screen, stopped hard drives and quiet fans, I'd say the computer hangs when you try to get it back to its working condition. Is that right?

In any case I'd look at the graphic card drivers. Have them updated and be sure they're XP "approved". Also motherboard drivers, specially the chipset ones, can cause that sort of trouble when not completely right.

Yeah. It happens when I take a break from the com to bathe / have my meals and when i get back and try to move the mouse, it hangs at instance or sometimes i can move alittle before it hangs.

Nov 1, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #9 of 32
I used to have a similar problem, one time my computer BSOD'd permanently when I attempted to resume it. Apparently it was a corrupt windows install.

EDIT:It may also be a faulty HDD. I remember mine dying soon after this.

Nov 1, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to have a similar problem, one time my computer BSOD'd permanently when I attempted to resume it. Apparently it was a corrupt windows install.

This is the last thing I want from this
frown.gif
. I don't want to format my computer again. I have just reformated it last week due to a fatal error. Perhaps i should call microsoft singapore and hear what those technicians have to say.

By the way , its been quite some time since the last time i saw you around.

Nov 1, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #11 of 32
You may not necessarily have to format, just do a re-install. Personally, I'd start backing up data right away just in case. (I lost 250GB when mine messed up) Are all your drivers/bios/etc up to date? Have you run anti-virus/spyware? Uninstalled any shady programs?
Tried a system restore to a previous date? Checked if any of your hardware is faulty? (I.e. do a memtest)

I'm here all the time, I haven't seen you around though.

Nov 1, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #12 of 32
It's probably a virus or a corrupt windows install. I don't see how the hardware could cause this problems after every (it's everytime, right?) 20 minutes.

Start backing up, though. It's really painful to lose all your data. After, try a fresh windows install. That way, if you ever come around calling microsoft they can help you better as well.

Nov 1, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TI have just reformated it last week due to a fatal error.

Um... could this have something to do with it? Failure somewhere in the re-formatting? Seems like a possibility...

Nov 1, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

EDIT:It may also be a faulty HDD. I remember mine dying soon after this.

I had a problem like this once, and it turned out there were bad sectors on the drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back