Winston-Salem / Triad meet (April 20th, 2013) Impressions
Apr 21, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #2 of 38
Meet photos

http://www.head-fi.org/g/a/762860/winston-salem-nc-april-20-2013

A big thanks to you Rastadophin/Jerry for putting this meet together, great Job. It was good to see familiar faces and meet new Head-Fiers, a very friendly group indeed. There were a few SS amps I hadn't listened to before Patrick's Schmiit & Jason's Peachtree, both very nice and something I could easily live with. Every meet I attend I try to spend some time with the HD800, and I did this time with Josh's. I really like them but I'm still keeping my eye out for a pair of CD-3000. I was pleased at the number of people blown away by my K1000s, they are among the most amazing phones I've listened to.

Apr 21, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 38
too busy checking everything out to take a lot of pics but here are a few i took with my phone here and there. I had a great time and will write some more through impressions when im not in such a hurry

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #4 of 38
It all just flew by. I feel like I barely listened to anything. I was hoping to have a more definitive comparison between the Audezes and the hd800s. I don't know what I like better!! The 800s have comfort for days.

I was most surprised/impressed with nimbostruck's V-Modas, ardgedee's Realistic sextets, Hekoman's Lambdas, and the Hifimans.

Didn't even touch any of dailydoseofdaly's stuff. :frowning2: Or the 02 which is one of the few purchases I've been seriously considering. :frowning2: :frowning2:

Oh well, as expected, many rookie mistakes were made. Hopefully, I'll be smarter next time.

Oh, and there were two guys there I never got a chance to speak to. They didn't stay long. Were they just wanderers from the hotel? Seemed like there were a lot of unused name tags.

Apr 22, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 38
well your welcome to come check out my rig if your ever in the charlotte area

the two guys were not randoms from the hotel, unfortunately im as bad with names as i am with matching people to their screen names on here. however i have talked to them at previous meets.

Apr 22, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 38
Well I enjoyed my brief visit.  Good to put faces with names.  The 2 random old farts without badges were likely myself and dpump.  We showed up about 1:30 and stayed about an hour and a half.  Listened to a lot of nice phones and amps.  It was all good.

Apr 22, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #7 of 38
Hey everyone!  What tube amp is that below?  I can't make out the tag.  Thx!

Quote:
too busy checking everything out to take a lot of pics but here are a few i took with my phone here and there. I had a great time and will write some more through impressions when im not in such a hurry

Apr 22, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #8 of 38
I reposted my pics in my gallery here:
http://www.head-fi.org/g/a/763294/winstaon-salem-meet-4-2013

Like I said in the other thread, I had a great time, great to meet other Head-fi'ers - it was my first meet so it was cool to try out a lot of gear I hadn't heard before.
I wish I could have stayed longer but we had family with us for the weekend.  I regret not having the chance to check our more of the amps - guess I was just blown away getting to try out so many cans I had never heard before.

Some highlights from the headphones I got to try and really liked: HE-6's (thru that great Mac receiver), Stax Lamdas, and the LCD-3s were my favorites, along with the HD-800 which were great but I didn't have enough time to really sit and enjoy them.  I also liked Grado RS-1s, Denon D7000s, and the DT-770s (a little bass heavy for me but still nice). And notable mention to the Monoprice cans - great for $25!

brooks

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #10 of 38
Enjoyed the meet and getting to meet everyone.  Maybe next meet I'll have a full size Soloist by then 
size]

I posted some impressions in the HD800 thread here.

Apr 23, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #14 of 38
"What tube amp is that below?"

That amp is from Transition Audio Design in Florida. Tom Tutay is the builder. He put this unit together to drive my LCD-3s, but it sounds really good with high and low impedance cans such as Grado or Sennheiser. This unit is a really good line stage as well.

TAD
tomtutay@centurylink.net
24 Elm Ave
Ft Walton Beach, FL 32548-5622
850 244 3041

Apr 23, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:
"What tube amp is that below?"

That amp is from Transition Audio Design in Florida. Tom Tutay is the builder. He put this unit together to drive my LCD-3s, but it sounds really good with high and low impedance cans such as Grado or Sennheiser. This unit is a really good line stage as well.

TAD
tomtutay@centurylink.net
24 Elm Ave
Ft Walton Beach, FL 32548-5622
850 244 3041

I see he has a positive reputation over on Audio Asylum.  It's always good to hear about amp designers with a loyal following.
That amp of yours looks very interesting.  Maybe you could post a picture of your Head-Fi station with your TAD amp in the "Show us your Head-Fi station..." thread or somewhere else.  I know I would like to see and learn more about it.
Thanks for Tom's info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back