Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Jan 11, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #1,081 of 4,122
You could also just let us know when you'll be around and we could arrange for a small meet. It's always cool to meet new people in this hobby/obsession.

Jan 11, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #1,082 of 4,122
That sounds interesting.  Maybe when the weather is nicer I can plan a run in to do something other than take my wife shopping.    Looks like a nasty weather for this weekend.  You'll be getting it before us.

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #1,083 of 4,122
Is there anything in particular you've been looking for or want to try?

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #1,084 of 4,122
I've been out of the game for a while so I'd like to try out some different amp/dac setups with my HD 600s and my AKG 240 sextetts.  I don't have anything currently other than a Cmoy in this regard.  Just driving them with my Yamaha receivers currently.  

Jan 11, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #1,085 of 4,122
I have a Sextett as well, and I recently borrowed an HD600 for a while. You can give them a try on my Bottlehead Crack if you like, and I've got a Nuforce DAC-100/HAP-100 as well.

And everyone drive safe out there. I just came back from some quick errands and it is deceptively slippery out there. The main roads aren't so bad, but the residentials are super slick and you can't see it.

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #1,088 of 4,122
McCulloch Audio used to sell Beyers, but I'm not sure if they still do, or if they ever had any demo models on the floor.

The blue-sky deep freeze has settled in here, after the wind blew all night.  Doesn't look like we got too much snow, but what we did get is concentrated in decent-sized drifts.

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #1,089 of 4,122
Quote:
McCulloch Audio used to sell Beyers, but I'm not sure if they still do, or if they ever had any demo models on the floor.

The blue-sky deep freeze has settled in here, after the wind blew all night.  Doesn't look like we got too much snow, but what we did get is concentrated in decent-sized drifts.

Nope, I don't think they carry anymore headphones.  I go there on occasion to poke around.  Bill does have nice stuff, wish I had 4.5k to spend on a pair of spendor speakers.

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #1,091 of 4,122
Quote:
Listening to the Millet MAX for the first time.  It is truly sweet with my HD600, fed by the Sony D-5A.

woah just noticed that you have a rega p3? Would you recommend going with rega products? I've been looking into getting an rp1 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #1,092 of 4,122
Though they're not the only brand you should consider, I don't think you can go wrong with Rega.  They've been around for a long time and, to the best of my knowledge, they've never produced a dud (though the Fono preamp does hiss a bit in my system - only audible when no music is playing).  I really like the P3, and at some point I'm hoping to get one of their CD players or DACs, as the sound sig of their digital gear is very pleasing to me - a great balance between detail and warmth.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #1,093 of 4,122
Quote:
woah just noticed that you have a rega p3? Would you recommend going with rega products? I've been looking into getting an rp1 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Though they're not the only brand you should consider, I don't think you can go wrong with Rega.  They've been around for a long time and, to the best of my knowledge, they've never produced a dud (though the Fono preamp does hiss a bit in my system - only audible when no music is playing).  I really like the P3, and at some point I'm hoping to get one of their CD players or DACs, as the sound sig of their digital gear is very pleasing to me - a great balance between detail and warmth.

If it were me, I would pass on the Rega RP1 and take a good look at the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, which I think Advance carries it.  The tone arm on the Pro-Ject is better and I think, well at least within the USA they come equipped with the Ortofon 2M Red, over the Ortofom OM5e on the Rega, and there are many reviews indicating the RP1 There's also another interesting brand call the Orbit U-Turn which has lots of support and the price is quite good, even if the cartridge isn't all that spectacular. 

Too bad VPI didn't have any cheaper turntables, they make awesome turntables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back