Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Aug 8, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #3,661 of 4,122
I'd love to do the pulled pork thing again, but it turns out that time constraints dictate that the jalapenos will be my sole epicurian contribution. They'll be good, and you'll have them very fresh out of the smoke. The pulled pork can be for another time.

Aug 11, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #3,662 of 4,122
I'd love to be able to join in the festivities (and I do a pretty mean pulled pork), but unfortunately work and family have to take priority right now.

Hopefully I can join in for the next one!

Aug 12, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #3,664 of 4,122
I don't have any particular drink preferences other than I don't drink alcohol and I try to avoid sugary pops (though if it's something I haven't tried before like some sort of ethnic/imported drink, I'm usually game for it)

Aug 12, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #3,665 of 4,122
I'd love to be able to join in the festivities (and I do a pretty mean pulled pork), but unfortunately work and family have to take priority right now.

Hopefully I can join in for the next one!
It's too bad you can't make it! It looks like you have a combo I've always wanted to try but haven't been able to. Many say the Crack is magic with the HD-650, but I've only heard an HD-600, and on lesser solid state amps. Would you say the magic is real, or is it overstated?

Aug 12, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #3,666 of 4,122
It's too bad you can't make it! It looks like you have a combo I've always wanted to try but haven't been able to. Many say the Crack is magic with the HD-650, but I've only heard an HD-600, and on lesser solid state amps. Would you say the magic is real, or is it overstated?
There is a definite synergy; the HD650 are better with the Crack than the M3, which highlights the classic 'veil'. Yet the M3 sounds better with everything else I have ever owned.

But frankly, I don't think the Crack is particularly unique here, and I don't think it is truly magical. I think the HD650 just sound best when they are combined with a higher output impedance and low electrical damping (pretty much any OTL tube amp). Where the Crack excels is that it provides such a beast at an incredible price, and when fully upgraded it punches well above it's weight.

I'll definitely bring this combo to a meet if I get the chance.

Aug 12, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #3,667 of 4,122
I have an HD650 and I think I've built the Crack two (maybe three?) times lol.

Aug 12, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #3,668 of 4,122
There is a definite synergy; the HD650 are better with the Crack than the M3, which highlights the classic 'veil'. Yet the M3 sounds better with everything else I have ever owned.

But frankly, I don't think the Crack is particularly unique here, and I don't think it is truly magical. I think the HD650 just sound best when they are combined with a higher output impedance and low electrical damping (pretty much any OTL tube amp). Where the Crack excels is that it provides such a beast at an incredible price, and when fully upgraded it punches well above it's weight.

I'll definitely bring this combo to a meet if I get the chance.
Thanks for taking the time to add your impressions! Sometimes a headphone sounds best when brought in line, and sometimes it's best to lean into its lush character. Sounds like it more of the latter here.

I'm sure our next meet will be relatively soon compared to the last one, now that some semblance of social existence is resuming.

Aug 12, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #3,670 of 4,122
It's just a good fun build. Low stakes, low effort, high reward. In non-crunch times, I'd gladly build one for a carton of beer and a couple of nice steaks.

Aug 12, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #3,671 of 4,122
The first one I built was kind of my first "real" audio project. A bit sloppy in places, but a very a good learning experience. I built a second one a few years later because I felt like I could do a better job. I built the third one for someone else. I also built a S.E.X. amp for the same reason.

Aug 13, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #3,672 of 4,122
I've got a Schiit Eitr packed. Does anyone want me to bring the Schiit Wyrd?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back