Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Oct 26, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #2,611 of 4,122
#ecwl, You have a Utopia? Wow, be sure to bring it as well as the Dave and Mojo. I have a QP1R DAP with 1/8" line out, do you have a connector to enable to plug it into your Mojo?

Sure. I thought people were tired of Utopia at Advance. And mine is not burnt in. But I can bring Mojo, DAVE and Utopia.
Any male to male 1/8" (3.5mm) cable be it stereo or mono should work with the QP1R DAP and Mojo. Except because all modern Chord DACs are very jitter immune due to the DPLL and the Pulse Array DAC, they sound better with Toslink than with coaxial. Using coaxial digital input just injects RF noise into the DAC and worsens sound quality. So you'll get more bang from a regular Toslink connection from QP1R to Mojo. The only issue with DAVE Toslink input is that it doesn't work with high end Toslink cables with big plugs as the space is small. But since the DACs are very jitter immune, you can get away with crappier Toslink cables.

Oct 26, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #2,612 of 4,122
Oct 26, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #2,614 of 4,122
I've got one of these coming in for review: https://www.wolfearaudio.ca/products/makoyi-transformer-coupled-tube-headphone-amp
So hopefully it gets here before Nov 11th.

I should also hopefully be getting the Soundaware M1pro daps next week as well.

Oct 27, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #2,615 of 4,122
Thanks for the poke, I'll try to come to the meet! Not sure if I have any gear you haven't already heard a million times before, but I could probably bring my hd600 and Millet MAX if anyone wants.
I'll be in town for a concert the night before. If anyone is into metal, Fleshgod Apocalypse (Italy) are playing at the Park Theatre on the 10th, with support from Arkona (Russia) and The Agonist (Montreal I think). FA and Arkona are two of the best live bands on the planet.

Oct 27, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #2,616 of 4,122
Hey, I usually check in here every now and then just to lurk, glad to see this thread is becoming more active. I'll try and make the meet on the 11th, I haven't gotten anything new so I'll just bring my same rig if people want (AKG K702, matrix m stage, Fiio E10) and as always, snacks.

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #2,617 of 4,122
  I've got one of these coming in for review: https://www.wolfearaudio.ca/products/makoyi-transformer-coupled-tube-headphone-amp
So hopefully it gets here before Nov 11th.

I should also hopefully be getting the Soundaware M1pro daps next week as well.

Oh man for that price tag i think it should have a better casing - thought it was a DIY project at first

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #2,618 of 4,122
Huzzah, looks like we've got some more people joining the fray! I might need to wrangle an extra table at this rate.

Oh man for that price tag i think it should have a better casing - thought it was a DIY project at first

It's a bit up there, but we'll see how it sounds. There's lot of heavy iron in that thing (transformers and chokes) which does add up costs very quickly.

Oct 28, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #2,619 of 4,122
Hey guys, I spotted a Beyer DT880pro on kijiji at a good price: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-headphones/winnipeg/beyerdynamic-dt880-pro/1211804675?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

The guy also has a K701, but at a lousy price.

Oct 29, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #2,621 of 4,122
  HI guys, I will be joining on November 11, as well. Will bring HIFIMAN Edition X, and E07K.Thanks. 

Glad to see you on-board. Looks like we're going to have a couple new faces around this time!

I'm also hopefully going to have one of these sent in time for the meet: http://www.neurochrome.com/hp-1-ultra-high-end-headphone-amp/

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #2,622 of 4,122
Did you guys see that Massdrop are selling Sennheiser HD6xx (with 650 drivers) for $200 USD? Pretty much a no-brainer IMO.

However, they ship with a courier I think, so you might want to get them sent to a US address or eat some heavy brokerage fees at the border.

*edit: I see that it's on the front page of HF. So, maybe it's only applicable news for those of us who only login here to use the Winnipeg thread. :) 

Nov 4, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #2,623 of 4,122
The hype is mad for those. I predict they will do a second run shortly since they are already well over the limit. 

I don't know which courier is it, but if it's UPS you'll probably be looking at an additional $80-100 after brokerage and taxes to bring it into country.

Nov 6, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #2,624 of 4,122
Beep Beep. The meet is still on for this Friday, aiming for 1pm. It will be in Lindenwoods. If you don't know where, send me a PM.

I've got a Wolf Ear Makoyi in for review. Hopefully in the next day or so I'll get a Neurochrome HP-1. Really looking forward to pitting these Canadian made amps against some of the other stuff we've got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back