Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Jul 26, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #2,476 of 4,122
  Hey guys, one of my students is just starting to dip his toe into the headphone game and is looking for some budget/midfi gear. Does anyone have anything to sell? He's thinking something along the lines of a Senn HD598 and Magni2. He's just a high school kid so doesn't have tons of money, but is open to suggestions or deals. It'd be primarily for computer use and gaming/FPS, and a decent pcie soundcard might be the way to go actually. @dscythe I'm looking at you, maybe you've got some spare parts lying around?

I have a Shure SRH840 I can part with, also a Vali 1, Pioneer MJ751

Jul 26, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #2,477 of 4,122

Your 4?? you mean LCD-4?

Yes those!  :)  I thought i posted pic of it here when i got it..

EDIT :  Doh I had posted it in the LCD 4 thread way back in December!  Must 've forgotten to do it here  

Jul 27, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #2,478 of 4,122
Saw these if anyone was looking for a cheap pair of grados:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-pro-audio-recording/winnipeg/grado-labs-sr125-prestige-series-headphones/1185321252?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

not mine.

Jul 27, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #2,479 of 4,122

Yes those!  :)  I thought i posted pic of it here when i got it..

EDIT :  Doh I had posted it in the LCD 4 thread way back in December!  Must 've forgotten to do it here  

So did a driver just simply die on you? Sadly this is not even remotely the first time I've heard of this happening...

Jul 27, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #2,481 of 4,122

So did a driver just simply die on you? Sadly this is not even remotely the first time I've heard of this happening...

Yes, I have one of the original 100 ohm versions which are all ticking time bombs... Auzdeze is now putting 200 ohm drivers in the LCD4's.. different design i guess? 

Jul 27, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #2,482 of 4,122
Yeah there were massive failure rates on those. I remember bringing it up once and asking what kind of failure analysis they did, citing my experiences on actual fracture and failure analyses in my lab work. Interestingly, my posts seem to have disappeared on the matter.

If I had to guess what they changed in the design... perhaps thinner or narrower traces.

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #2,483 of 4,122
Ugh, so a parcel that was supposed to come in today is now held up at Customs. I got a call from UPS and they tell me that Winnipeg is actually the worse city in Canada for bringing parcels into. Huh, good to know.

Jul 29, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #2,484 of 4,122
Hey guys, one of my students is just starting to dip his toe into the headphone game and is looking for some budget/midfi gear. Does anyone have anything to sell? He's thinking something along the lines of a Senn HD598 and Magni2. He's just a high school kid so doesn't have tons of money, but is open to suggestions or deals. It'd be primarily for computer use and gaming/FPS, and a decent pcie soundcard might be the way to go actually. @dscythe
I'm looking at you, maybe you've got some spare parts lying around?

What is their price range? I could part with my NAD hp50s.

Jul 29, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #2,485 of 4,122
What is their price range? I could part with my NAD hp50s.

Geez all you guys with closed cans. He's looking for open backed at the moment.

Jul 29, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #2,488 of 4,122
  I can part with my HD600's. Not sure if that's within his budget though.

Damn - let me know if you want to let those go, maybe something my bro or cousin would want. Or me if i ever decide to just unload everything and just settle on the 600 hehe

Aug 1, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #2,490 of 4,122
What time do you guys want to aim for on August 7th? Does noon or evening work better? I have a preference for noon or early afternoon myself, but could manage either.

Tentative location is my house in Fort Richmond (two minutes from the U of M), set up in my garage, and I can get the bbq going. 

p.s. anyone here have a small power amp they'd like to sell? I'm talking super small here, like a Topping sized amp (I know Velo has the Mini-X, but that's still too big)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back