Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Feb 23, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #1,966 of 4,131
Random: does anyone here have a spare washing machine? or know where I can get a good deal on one? Mine went kaput (the motor or belt I think)..

Sigh, first the HE-6, then my amps, now my washer. Ugh...

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #1,969 of 4,131
  If there's any truth to the idea that trouble comes in threes, then hopefully you're good for a while.

Well actually my dac is fidgety and misbehaving with the Wyrd, so that makes 5? Though I guess both amps makes that 6...

Did you ever figure out what happened to the Wyrd?

No  idea... seems to work ok with my other dacs, but it does not play with my Echo dac. I emailed Schiit and they couldn't figure it out either, as it's a behaviour they haven't heard of before and can't diagnose anything else without testing equipment. Best guess is that my Echo is trying to draw more power than the Wyrd can provide, but if that were the case why does the Echo work straight from my laptop? And why does the Wyrd work with my other dacs?

Echo by itself is ok.
Echo + external PSU is ok. (normally usb powered, but also can use an external psu)
Echo + Wyrd is bad.
Echo + external psu + Wyrd is ok.

extra weirdness with the echo + wyrd: lights are blinking on the echo like it's trying to boot up but can't make it. If I plug a headphone into the headphone jack, then no lights at all. Unplug the headphones and it goes back to blinking. There's no difference if I have the TRS balanced outputs plugged in. Take out the wyrd from the chain, and all is back to normal.

Hey Velomane, want to borrow the Wyrd for a bit and see if it makes a difference with your PWD?

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #1,970 of 4,131

Echo by itself is ok.
Echo + external PSU is ok. (normally usb powered, but also can use an external psu)
Echo + Wyrd is bad.
Echo + external psu + Wyrd is ok.

Any consideration to the Doodlebug?

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #1,972 of 4,131

Any consideration to the Doodlebug?

I remember reading a bit about that when it was first under development. I can't seem to find much for comparisons between the two though... Do you have one? It would be interesting to compare the two.

Feb 24, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #1,973 of 4,131
I remember reading a bit about that when it was first under development. I can't seem to find much for comparisons between the two though... Do you have one? It would be interesting to compare the two.

No comparisons I can offer, but if you are having technical problems, then it might be a no-brainer.

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #1,974 of 4,131
No comparisons I can offer, but if you are having technical problems, then it might be a no-brainer.

Do you currently have one? I'd be interested in hearing it. Or if you don't have one but are considering getting one, I might be interested in ordering a second and splitting shipping costs. (depends on how much damage getting my washer fixed/replaced will do to my wallet)

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #1,975 of 4,131
Armaegis,

I hadn't seen your posts re: the Wyrd interaction with your system when you offered to loan it to me. If you want me to have a listen to see exactly what's going on, I'd be happy to help. I'm off work for most of this week, BTW.

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #1,976 of 4,131
Ongoing curiosity with my Wyrd... it doesn't work with my Centrane Dacmini either. So that rules out the high power draw theory since the Dacmini is powered from a wallwart. On the dacmini it freezes the system as soon as I plug into the Wyrd and I have to power down to reset it (even if I'm not on the usb setting).

But it works fine with a bunch of other random dacs (both usb and wallwart powered).  Hmm
confused_face_2.gif

Maybe it's something in how the usb communicates and they don't work well with the "hub" nature of the Wyrd?

Feb 25, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #1,977 of 4,131
Whoa, brand new HD800 for $1.2k Canadian... http://www.hifiheadphones.ca/sennheiser-hd-800/

Feb 25, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #1,978 of 4,131
Just wondering, does anyone here have a spare mini-usb cable, roughly 4 feet long?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back